Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

28 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

If SDSU's time zone has kept it from being offered membership to the Big 12, one would think the time zone in which Kansas State, Okie State and the rest are situated will keep them from being offered membership to the Pac 12.

Well, the "ones" who actually "think" rather than talking out of their ass would think that.

I don't think the PAC is adding any of those schools. 

They don't seem to be interested in expansion. Just open to the possibility.

Supposedly, some of the B12 leftovers have reached out to them to no avail. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

21 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Colorado State can't even compete with NDSU or South Dakota State. Both games were beat downs.

We play a 15 or 16 game schedule right now in a physical league and only have 63 scholarships.  Give us 85 and we will be fine

The Mountain West isn't even a physical league. UNLV would be a bottom quarter Missouri Valley Team

Wyoming and Boise would be tough though 

Would you be willing to pay the same travel subsidies Hawaii has to pay for a football only invitation ?

15 minutes ago, RSF said:

The same guy who just got finished telling us what shitty teams NDSU has to play.

The Missouri Valley teams are very good and physical and the top 10 FCS teams that make the playoffs play great football. But let's face it, national TV audiences don't care about most Missouri Valley Teams. And they really have no interest in broadcasting us beating down middle of the pack CAA teams in non conference play

Now good teams...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

BYU couldn't even beat Coastal Carolina last year with a 1st round pick at QB. Coastal Carolina was NDSUs bitch when they were FCS and they play in a smaller stadium and moved up in 2017. Now they are ranked in the top 20. 

Coastal Carolina has definitely proven themselves to be a pretty decent football team.  Much better than, say, Illinois State. 

Even with a 1st-round NFL draft pick at QB, NDSU was only able to defeat the mighty Redbirds 9-3, even though - unlike BYU - they had a full week to prepare for the game and didn't have to travel across the country.

19 minutes ago, azinco said:

Because being in the central time zone is more valuable for the PAC than the Big 12 going to California to pick up a school most people have not heard of or unfamiliar outside PAC/MWC.

Which PAC school is "unfamiliar" in B12 land?

Barack Obama

37 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

If SDSU's time zone has kept it from being offered membership to the Big 12, one would think the time zone in which Kansas State, Okie State and the rest are situated will keep them from being offered membership to the Pac 12.

Well, the "ones" who actually "think" rather than talking out of their ass would think that.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the location in the central time zone hurt Oklahoma State and and KStates chances of joining the PAC 12. 

If schools with similar programs and markets were located in New Mexico or Idaho they probably would already be in the PAC 12. Utah and Colorado are probably less prestigious than Kansas but are actually located in the west.

Hell the PAC 12 had an opportunity to land Oklahoma. I guarantee if the they were located further west they would’ve been added without hesitation. Part of what makes the PAC 12 strong and stable is the geographic stability. Adding any schools in the central time zone would completely change the conference.

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

They were close to grabbing Houston and TCU. Supposed to of been a last minute decision to not do it and to wait to discuss their media deal and if they should add more markets. They might of messed up not doing it.

I heard that too. Not sure if I buy it.  They could have, and still can, take any B12, AAC or MW school they wish to add. 

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Would you be willing to pay the same travel subsidies Hawaii has to pay for a football only invitation ?

We are easier to get to than Laramie. Actually out airport is a 5 minute drive to the dome 

Boise to Fargo is 2 hours and 15 min

San Diego to Fargo is 3 hours and 15 min and that's the furthest  (not counting Hawaij of course)

2 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

We are easier to get to than Laramie. Actually out airport is a 5 minute drive to the dome 

San Diego to Fargo is 3 hours and 15 min and that's the furthest  (not counting Hawaij of course)

Yeah the travel besides Hawaii isn't bad at all if the Bison were to join. I'd love to see both Montanas and Dakota States in the MWC.

Granted I highly doubt any MWC teams leave in the first place and I think the only way this happens is if the MWC is severely gutted (again I feel highly unlikely)

15 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Coastal Carolina has definitely proven themselves to be a pretty decent football team.  Much better than, say, Illinois State. 

Even with a 1st-round NFL draft pick at QB, NDSU was only able to defeat the mighty Redbirds 9-3, even though - unlike BYU - they had a full week to prepare for the game and didn't have to travel across the country.

Illinois State is FCS and in our conference.  You can't compare a conference game to a non conference game.  We play them every year and that was the 2nd time we played them that year. The first we beat the. 37-3 at their stadium. 

Their running back was James Robinson who ran for 1070 yards for the Jacksonville Jaguars last year

Really good team,  just not a TV draw

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Let's discuss something important. Not this Bison nonsense. Where in the Hell is Stunner? Did he get banned? 

He asked me to delete his account when I sold the board.  He had asked me to do it a long time before I even considered selling it.  I deleted it per his request. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 hours ago, mags said:

No.  But they were instrumental in creating a North Dakota  intra-library loan group among North Dakota’s 11 colleges and universities that’s pretty neat.  They upgraded the media center too subscribing to all of North Dakota’s newspapers including the small town weeklies.

Must be some top notch research done there, then.

4 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Yes. Those are the teams that are so important for Air Force to play that they're leaving the MWC.

Speaking of Air Force, prepping for the triple option every year must suck for d coordinators.  We've played 3 option teams (5 games) in the playoffs with 6 days notice and they've all been tough games. 2 were easy but 3 were hard 

17 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

You misunderstood the question. Hawaii has to pay for their football only membership.  Do you think it all fair to them to just give you a football invitation for nothing?  The other Dakota folks who haunt this place say that NDSU could not afford to be in the MW for all sports. Do you just want it all handed to you?

3 hours ago, Herdbot said:

UND and USD don't have the capacity. They dont even have endzone seats.

The Fargodome is plenty big and averaged more than San Jose State, New Mexico, and Nevada did in 2019 and were only about 1500 behind Utah State and UNLV. They can add seats to the dome but not more than 1500-2K max. That's plenty

The Fargodome is getting remodeled in the  near future but the building itself is an awesome place to see a game. The technology is great including 2 - 100' x 30' HD video boards in the endzones, 4 corner HD boards, HD lighting and a new sound system. The dome looks great on TV too.

It just needs some upgrades that they will be working on in the near future including widening the concourses, adding more rest rooms, converting an unused press box to premium seats / club, and ultimately adding a convention center and hotel. The process will speed up they an FBS move happens and they have almost $50 in reserve funds.

But you don't really NEED more when you've been charging $55 per game for an end zone seat and have 13,000 season ticket holders who make donations

Not doubting NDSU can compete in the FBS...it just takes money such as those premium seats and club boxes.  That is usually where the money for higher head coach & coaching staff salaries comes from. 

I have watched the NDSU games on ESPN+ and I agree that the television is excellent and that place looks like fun.  One Bison poster here said Fargodome can go up to about 25K which might be enough but I think NDSU has bigger aspirations in mind.  It's just purely my opinion that there needs to be a bigger dome in the planning stages...closer to 30-40K.  It's going to be interesting to see what the NCAA and college football is going to be like in the coming future.  I think you would need 20 to 25 thousand season ticket holders to make it in FBS and that is about the size of the Colorado season ticket holder base but I'm pretty certain that the Big 12 season ticket holder bases are at least 30 to 35 thousand strong, hence my suggestion for a bigger dome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herdbot said:

Fargo is on the Minnesota border and most aluni are from Minnesota. Our radio network goes all the way to Minneapolis for a reason. That's where our fan base is. We had 38,000 show up for a cupcake opponent in Minneapolis at the Twins Stadium. Why do you think the Minnesota Vikings are hosting a game in 3 years?

Nebraska doesn't have quite the local numbers and the B1G took them in.  If winning football was all that mattered, Maryland & Rutgers wouldn't be in the B1G after adding Nebraska.

The MWC, C-USA, and AAC have their schools in large metro areas and that is why people here do not see NDSU as a good fit for the MWC.  The MAC would be a more natural fit but they refused to let Youngstown State in when they were winning four national championships in the 1990's.  Why would they allow eight time NDSU in that case?

That is why I say NDSU's best hope to get to FBS is to have the MVFC go with them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

You misunderstood the question. Hawaii has to pay for their football only membership.  Do you think it all fair to them to just give you a football invitation for nothing?  The other Dakota folks who haunt this place say that NDSU could not afford to be in the MW for all sports. Do you just want it all handed to you?

Hawaii also has their own TV deal with Spectrum but honestly a flight to Hawaii is a major drain on finances 

NDSU had no desire to switch conferences for other sports.  The Summit is a perfect fit for us. North Dakota State,  South Dakota State,  North Dakota,  South Dakota,  St Thomas (St Paul MN), Omaha,  Kansas City, Denver and Oral Roberts who just made the Sweet 16. I predict it will surpass the Missouri Valley in basketball within 10 years

We make the Big Dance seemingly every other year in basketball. Women's Basketball is a 2 bid league. The Summit League Tournament is one of the best mid majors. How many draw 6k for a 1st round Tuesday aftetnoon WBB game?

Softball makes the big dance regularly and made the Sweet 16. Track and Field has numerous all amicans and a national champion. We're in the Big 12 for Wrestling. 

Now if you added Gonzaga everyone would want to join