Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

The Gophers only did 900K in beer revenue over an entire football  season . 

TCF only sells beer in the luxury suites and 1 beer garden.  Lot more limited.  We sell beer in limited places, too.  But when we play at AT&T, its alcoholpalooza.

have a good night. You guys are just trolling me

Trolling...correcting you...whatever....

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I have never read a more meaningless conversation in my life. That is saying something considering dopey Nevada Convert posts here.

Montana, Montana State, Montana Tech, North Dakota, Fargo State, South Dakota State, University is Sturgis arent getting invited.

If they did, SDSU, Unlv, Fesno would be on the first flight to AAC.

• Like 1

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

I learned something about NDSU just now.  Their contract through Learfield pays them an average of $2.19 million per year.  What I found most interesting was that in 2007, there was only one bidder for their TV contract:

The Forum Communications deal is among the first for Learfield’s Bison Sports Properties, which took over the media contract process when it signed a 10-year, $21.9 million deal with the university in 2020. The NDSU athletic department will receive $1.85 million in the first year from Learfield with that figure escalating over the duration of the contract.

In return for the flat fee to NDSU, Learfield owns the broadcast rights, sponsorships and advertising.

Last week, NDSU announced Bison 1660 retained the radio rights for three more years with an option for two more. Bison 1660 is owned by Radio FM Media of Fargo.

The TV rights have taken a greater importance in the last decade. It wasn’t until the 2012 season when every regular-season game was televised. The North Dakota NBC Network televised just three games as recently as 2010.

KVLY was awarded the television contract in 2007 in a media climate where nobody else submitted a bid. Before that, WDAY was the television host.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7027249-WDAY-TV-Forum-Communications-awarded-rights-to-televise-Bison-athletics

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pelado said:

I learned something about NDSU just now.  Their contract through Learfield pays them an average of $2.19 million per year.  What I found most interesting was that in 2007, there was only one bidder for their TV contract:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7027249-WDAY-TV-Forum-Communications-awarded-rights-to-televise-Bison-athletics

Not bad.  I would’ve thought the payout was lower than that.

v0icAvfW.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dirtball said:

I have never read a more meaningless conversation in my life. 

I rather enjoyed it.  Calling Ibanez and Woosh on their, er, stuff gets monotonous.  Fresh blood keeps things interesting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Rebuilt stadium from the ground up that is easily expandable.  UND, NDSU, and USD will have to replace their current domes if they want to sniff FBS ball.

A brand new stadium from the ground up that’s expandable for what? They can barely fill half the seats as it is and average 11,996. Or maybe it’s their 80 yd long practice field (not including the end zones) with a track around it. I think no.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ibanez said:

Utah State has a really good AD. Everyone seems to respect Wyoming's AD as well. I agree that UNR is a better brand than UNLV and it's not even close. But UNLV has a better market and they have the Raiders providing them with everything but fans.

Iowa State fans outnumbered UNLV fans and BYU draws a bigger crowd on Vegas than UNLV. That's +++++ing embarrassing.

Consider this.

Had UNLV passed on hiring Tark, today they would be Long Beach State with a medical school.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Take a look at the average ratings for those former FCS teams - most of which are in larger markets than NDSU - and you might start to understand why the MW isn't clamoring for NDSU to join.

BYU couldn't even beat Coastal Carolina last year with a 1st round pick at QB. Coastal Carolina was NDSUs bitch when they were FCS and they play in a smaller stadium and moved up in 2017. Now they are ranked in the top 20. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, roughrider said:

Your team says Utah but I suspect you're an NDSU fan.   Realize that week in and week out those established teams will wear you down.  This coming from and FCS team that moved up. 

Not saying you can't make it.  Saying your TV numbers will dry up immediately and tv execs and smart commissioners (ie. not Thompson) know this.  Those #'s are worth something but ....

Dead on.

Both Utah, Colorado, BYU and TCU have struggled since moving up. They have had their moments, but they are mostly middlin' to good.

The only teams I have seen succeed after steppping up in class are Boise and Penn St. Everyone else struggles for 5-10 years. 

Its not about your starters being good. Its about having quality depth to back it up.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, Ibanez said:

The new Going For Two Podcast is out with Matt Brown. The guy who got the AAC poaching MWC teams rolling and has a good track record.

Colorado State and Air Force is not leaving because of money or better competition. They are leaving because Boise State and San Diego State are expected to be gone in four years to a P5 conference. It is a move about positioning and as a school out west, they feel they need to get on a conference out east while they can.

Here ya go @Did I hear a WOOSH? The AAC is losing their value. What Hair said was correct. This makes the second reliable insider (I'm not counting The Athletic) to say this. As usual you're wrong.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/realignment-musical-chairs/id1549029012?i=1000536263303

Also, we will use RSF's favorite podcast 16 team super conferences will happen and the Big 12 will probably be the next to do it. I was told Boise, Memphis, USF, and either San Diego State or SMU was the next four to get invited. But for whatever reason, no other team can be invited til OU and UT are gone.

Since going 21-4 in '16-'17 and fooling some people into thinking they were headed to great accomplishments under Charlies Strong, who replaced Cheatin' Jim Leavitt, the USF Bulls have gone 13-26 and have a legit shot on running the table in the wrong direction this year. Add that USF has one of the worst basketball programs and the country and USF is officially dog poop.

So if the B12 wants to take SMU (and talk about cheating universities), let 'em. But Bowlsby isn't a dumbass braggart like Aresco so no way does the B12 offer South Florida.

15 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

BYU couldn't even beat Coastal Carolina last year with a 1st round pick at QB. Coastal Carolina was NDSUs bitch when they were FCS and they play in a smaller stadium and moved up in 2017. Now they are ranked in the top 20. 

You played twice almost a decade ago.  Both in woodchipper land.  2014 game was a 7 pt game that you were losing late. 

Their stadium is bigger, although not by much.

Warned you about making stuff up as you went along.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:13 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

If the academic stuff is true, they won't be going anywhere.  They will only consider R1 U's and no one ranked lower than WVU. 

That is just more reason to believe they will stick with 12.  Other than SDSU, there just aren't any obvious, P5 worthy, G5's. 

From what I've heard, it was SDSU's time zone that kept them from getting invited.  

If SDSU's time zone has kept it from being offered membership to the Big 12, one would think the time zone in which Kansas State, Okie State and the rest are situated will keep them from being offered membership to the Pac 12.

Well, the "ones" who actually "think" rather than talking out of their ass would think that.

44 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Plus a 2 million sign on deal. In 2007, we were only 2 years removed from Division 2, didn't have a real football conference and weren't playoff eligible for another 3 years since we were moving up. We didn't have a conference for the other D1 sports including basketball.

We get slightly less than Conference USA teams get now. 

3 hours ago, Herdbot said:

Check out Appalachian State and Georgia Southern after they moved up

Your post was going well and was humorous until this point.

The further up the food chain you go, the more important quality depth, size, and speed matter. At the FCS level, there is a huuuuuuuge shortage of those attributes. I know, I follow Weber St football. They're a pretty good, but those three attributes are missing when i go watch a game.

When you're schedule reads @Sparty, Boise, Nevada, @Wyoming, SUDS, @ Fresno. You're going to be pretty beat up halfway into that stretch. 

Even beating UNLV or CSU in that stretch will be a difficult W.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

7 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Your post was going well and was humorous until this point.

The further up the food chain you go, the more important quality depth, size, and speed matter. At the FCS level, there is a huuuuuuuge shortage of those attributes. I know, I follow Weber St football. They're a pretty good, but those three attributes are missing when i go watch a game.

When you're schedule reads @Sparty, Boise, Nevada, @Wyoming, SUDS, @ Fresno. You're going to be pretty beat up halfway into that stretch. 

Even beating UNLV or CSU in that stretch will be a difficult W.

Colorado State can't even compete with NDSU or South Dakota State. Both games were beat downs.

We play a 15 or 16 game schedule right now in a physical league and only have 63 scholarships.  Give us 85 and we will be fine

The Mountain West isn't even a physical league. UNLV would be a bottom quarter Missouri Valley Team

Wyoming and Boise would be tough though 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Colorado State can't even compete with NDSU or South Dakota State. Both games were beat downs.

We play a 15 or 16 game schedule right now in a physical league and only have 63 scholarships.  Give us 85 and we will be fine

The Mountain West isn't even a physical league. UNLV would be a bottom quarter Missouri Valley Team

Wyoming and Boise would be tough though 

The same guy who just got finished telling us what shitty teams NDSU has to play.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

If SDSU's time zone has kept it from being offered membership to the Big 12, one would think the time zone in which Kansas State, Okie State and the rest are situated will keep them from being offered membership to the Pac 12.

Well, the "ones" who actually "think" rather than talking out of their ass would think that.

Because being in the central time zone is more valuable for the PAC than the Big 12 going to California to pick up a school most people have not heard of or unfamiliar outside PAC/MWC.