Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

20 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

I'll end the discussion with this. People say the same thing about Boise as NDSU... it's in the middle of no where, not a huge media market, blah blah blah

Ironically Boise is the best team with the best TV ratings. That's because they are the entire state of Idaho. Same with NDSU. It's the entire state of North Dakota and arguably more fans in Minnesota. That's why they play a football game in Minneapolis and 38,000 people show up vs a no name team. That's why they are playing a game in the Minnesota Vikings stadium in 3 years. That's why the radio network goes from Montana to Minneapolis.

As far as how NDSU compares to BSU - according to my quick Google search, Fargo's metro population is 248k people.  Boise's metro population is about three times as much - 749k people.  Both are still very small markets from a national perspective, but Boise's is much larger, comparatively speaking.  Boise's metro has about the same population as the entire state of North Dakota.

To be fair, though, Fargo does have a pretty cool movie and TV series named for it.  Not sure that Boise can compete with those.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RSF said:

And why is that?  Because it aint worth it to them to pay a nickel for the rights.

And none of their 2019 playoff games were in prime time.

And 1 of 4 in 2018.

And 1 of 4 in 2017.

And 1 of 3 in 2016.

We are on state wide ABC and we get paid several million to be on statewide TV. We signed a 21.9 million dollar deal with Learfield which is pretty good for the FCS.

ESPN Changed their playoff format and they stopped broadcasting. You have no idea what you are talking about. They don't broadcast all the FCS playoff games including none of the first 2 rounds (we only play 3 games as a seeded team) They changed that in 2019.

2 minutes ago, Pelado said:

As far as how NDSU compares to BSU - according to my quick Google search, Fargo's metro population is 248k people.  Boise's metro population is about three times as much - 749k people.  Both are still very small markets from a national perspective, but Boise's is much larger, comparatively speaking.  Boise's metro has about the same population as the entire state of North Dakota.

To be fair, though, Fargo does have a pretty cool movie and TV series named for it.  Not sure that Boise can compete with those.

Do they have woodchippers in Boise, doncha know?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Good example of former FCS powers....

The Sunbelt will be poaching Marshall this year (and be joined by another FCS team... James Madison)  

Most of the Sunbelt conference is made up of former FCS powers like Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina and yep soon to be former FCS Power Marshall.

I bet Conerence USA said 5 years ago... no way we don't want lowly FCS team in it. Now they will be on the verge of not existing and the Subelt will be killing it.

Take a look at the average ratings for those former FCS teams - most of which are in larger markets than NDSU - and you might start to understand why the MW isn't clamoring for NDSU to join.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

We are on state wide ABC and we get paid several million to be on statewide TV. We signed a 21.9 million dollar deal with Learfield which is pretty good for the FCS.

ESPN Changed their playoff format and they stopped broadcasting. You have no idea what you are talking about. They don't broadcast all the FCS playoff games including none of the first 2 rounds

You said all that they broadcast were in prime time.  All.  That is incorrect.

And that 21.9 is over 10 years and also includes all sports for radio and Tv.  A nice number.  Btw, SDSU gets 7 figures a year for their rights, too.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, Herdbot said:

ESPN Changed their playoff format and they stopped broadcasting. You have no idea what you are talking about. They don't broadcast all the FCS playoff games including none of the first 2 rounds

Apparently, even NDSU's playoff games weren't producing good enough ratings for ESPN to continue that contract.

2 minutes ago, Pelado said:

I don’t know, there has to be some sort of a connection between Boise and the Shrek movies.

250px-Donkey.jpeg

v0icAvfW.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Fargo is on the Minnesota border and most aluni are from Minnesota. Our radio network goes all the way to Minneapolis for a reason. That's where our fan base is. We had 38,000 show up for a cupcake opponent in Minneapolis at the Twins Stadium. Why do you think the Minnesota Vikings are hosting a game in 3 years?

32 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

I'll end the discussion with this. People say the same thing about Boise as NDSU... it's in the middle of no where, not a huge media market, blah blah blah

Ironically Boise is the best team with the best TV ratings. That's because they are the entire state of Idaho. Same with NDSU. It's the entire state of North Dakota and arguably more fans in Minnesota. That's why they play a football game in Minneapolis and 38,000 people show up vs a no name team. That's why they are playing a game in the Minnesota Vikings stadium in 3 years. That's why the radio network goes from Montana to Minneapolis.

If the Mountain West starts choosing teams based on media markets and not quality teams, they will end up like Conference USA who has no TV deal and nobody cares.

Texas El Paso is in a huge media market but nobody watches them. Nobody cares about them. They play in a 50k seat stadium and draw 14K a games. 

Oooh you gonna be in trouble!  Sic 'em @VandalPride97

2 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Fargo is on the Minnesota border and most aluni are from Minnesota. Our radio network goes all the way to Minneapolis for a reason. That's where our fan base is. We had 38,000 show up for a cupcake opponent in Minneapolis at the Twins Stadium. Why do you think the Minnesota Vikings are hosting a game in 3 years?

Because they have a new building and will put any event on they can to pay it off.  Believe me I know - Jerry Jones runs all kinds of shit thru at&t stadium just a few minutes from my house.

And again...quit lying about Target Field.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

You said all that they broadcast were in prime time.  All.  That is incorrect.

Let me rephrase. When the FCS Playoff Games are on ESPN, they always give NDSU the better time slot and station. The other teams are sent to ESPN2 or ESPNU who get half the viewers.

3 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Let me rephrase. When the FCS Playoff Games are on ESPN, they always give NDSU the better time slot and station. The other teams are sent to ESPN2 or ESPNU who get half the viewers.

Do they move the goalposts at the Fargodome, too?

Many of your games were on the Deuce. Not hard to check. Sorry, guy.  Thats what happens when you make it up as you go along.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

So if NDSU delivers Fargo, the entire state of North Dakota, and a substantial piece of the Minnesota market, then why aren't the national networks clamoring to get all their games?

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Because they have a new building and will put any event on they can to pay it off.  Believe me I know - Jerry Jones runs all kinds of shit thru at&t stadium just a few minutes from my house.

And again...quit lying about Target Field.  

They are paying both teams a guarantee to play at US Bank Stadium. If they don't sell enough tickets, they will lose money.

Target Field

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401127277

The attendance was officially 34,544 (OK, not 38K but close.) But hey Butler is a Power House right?

Just now, Pelado said:

So if NDSU delivers Fargo, the entire state of North Dakota, and a substantial piece of the Minnesota market, then why aren't the national networks clamoring to get all their games?

Because we play against shitty teams in the FCS. You think ESPN is going to pay huge money to broadcast a game vs Butler, Indiana State, or Western Illinois? But if we played some good teams they sure as hell would

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

They are paying both teams a guarantee to play at US Bank Stadium. If they don't sell enough tickets, they will lose money.

200k for EW and 375 for NDSU isnt a hard guarantee to cover.  Thats a decent day of parking and beer sales.

5 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Because we play against shitty teams in the FCS. You think ESPN is going to pay huge money to broadcast a game vs Butler, Indiana State, or Western Illinois? But if we played some good teams they sure as hell would

But you're such a draw that shouldnt matter.  Isnt that what you have been trying to tell us?

Just now, Herdbot said:

If NDSU is such a ratings bonanza, then ESPN will want to broadcast the games even if the opponent is terrible.  Back in Boise State's WAC days, ESPN picked up almost all of their games - even the games against traditionally terrible teams.

22 minutes ago, RSF said:

So join CUSA or the Sunbelt.

Btw...Marshall hasnt been IAA since 97.

App State 2012.

I bet we'll get an invite to CUSA but considering it would pay us about the same in media rights than we make right now, seems kind of dumb.

Sunbelt doesn't make sense geographically but for football only I would like it. But the Mountain West makes the most sense

1 minute ago, Herdbot said:

But the Mountain West makes the most sense

This statement says it all.

Just not what you think it says.

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

200k for EW and 375 for NDSU isnt a hard guarantee to cover.  Thats a decent day of beer sales.

But you're such a draw that shouldnt matter.  Isnt that what you have been trying to tell us?

The Gophers only did 900K in beer revenue over an entire football  season . 

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

200k for EW and 375 for NDSU isnt a hard guarantee to cover.  Thats a decent day of beer sales.

Apparently now when teams move up, they bring other FCS teams with them? I'm confused