Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

No. This is for real. All signs point to them both going. It makes sense for Air Force and no sense for CSU. But now there is some talk about Boise State re-evaluating a move. Not sure what needs to be evaluated. They had just came to the conclusion less than a year ago that it didn't make sense. I don't think BSU is going. But if you were to ask me if AF and CSU is I would say yes to AF and probably to CSU.

So apparently negotiations over the term sheet broke down today huh.  All sides will spin it as something else just like they spun the original unveiling of the term sheet as a competitive reward.   It was obvious bullshit then and it’s obvious now.  

Typical Thompson PR bullshit.   

2 hours ago, ToTheMountains said:

Explain the SDSU being more FBS ready if you would be so kind.

Rebuilt stadium from the ground up that is easily expandable.  UND, NDSU, and USD will have to replace their current domes if they want to sniff FBS ball.

17 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Your team says Utah but I suspect you're an NDSU fan.   Realize that week in and week out those established teams will wear you down.  This coming from and FCS team that moved up. 

Not saying you can't make it.  Saying your TV numbers will dry up immediately and tv execs and smart commissioners (ie. not Thompson) know this.  Those #'s are worth something but ....

I never set up my profile so I'm not a Utah fan lol.

Our TV numbers will not dry up. They will increase. We're getting those numbers with zero promotion and no name competition. ESPN doesn't promote the FCS playoffs. Ever. They don't run commercials. They don't talk about it during Sportscenter. They only air them because they have to. They pay huge money to air Bowl Games, so they promote them.

Besides it takes 2 teams to draw ratings and in the FCS, we play teams that nobody knows. Quick question without looking, is Jacksonville State in Jacksonville? Nope. They are in Alabama. Ever heard of Wofford or Charleston Southern? What about Colgate? Exactly. Guarantee you 1.8 million didn't tune in to watch a team named after a toothpaste.

Check out Appalachian State and Georgia Southern after they moved up

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

How many of these were either playoff games or games played in the spring?  Because those would not be a good indicator of FBS viewership.

One was a week zero game.  Another was a trip to Iowa.  All others were playoff games.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

20 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I just think it's funny that Everytime @Did I hear a WOOSH? comes over here to spout the brilliance of Aresco and the downfall of the MWC, it takes less than 24 hours for him to be proven wrong. It never fails. 

I never once accused aresco of brilliance nor ever suggested that the MWC is facing a downfall.  It’s been quite the opposite really, don’t hate.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Most MAC schools have an enrollment < 25,000.  The exceptions are Akron and Kent St at 28,000 and Buffalo at 31,000.

Notre Dame only has 8,000 students and it is a FB factory.

Enrollment numbers have zero to do with athletic success.

Athletic success is not the best topic for conference membership debates.  The correct topic is like-minded schools in the same conference and yes enrollment numbers do factor in that equation especially when students are going to be footing the bill for athletics fees every semester.

I also replied where private school enrollments are not treated the same as public school enrollments.  Generally private schools in the same conference would have 1/2 the population of the public schools.

The MAC & MWC will not be inviting NDSU to their conferences anytime soon.  They don't like the idea of a FCS school coming in and standing everyone up.  That is why Youngstown State was denied admission to the MAC when they were winning I-AA National Championships in the 1990's.  The AAC & C-USA will not do that either.  The only option for them is to have the MVFC schools move their football teams up to FBS at the same time.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Rebuilt stadium from the ground up that is easily expandable.  UND, NDSU, and USD will have to replace their current domes if they want to sniff FBS ball.

USD's Dakotadome is awful.  It was awful when I played a high school playoff game there in the early 90's and it's only gotten worse despite a recent huge renovation.  It's worse than the Kibbie Dome!  Zero football atmosphere.

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

USD's Dakotadome is awful.  It was awful when I played a high school playoff game there in the early 90's and it's only gotten worse despite a recent huge renovation.  It's worse than the Kibbie Dome!  Zero football atmosphere.

Yeah they did a renovation very recently and replaced the dome (or was that UNI?).  They are the least likely of the Dakota schools to move to FBS at this point.

21 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Do you have a link or anything? Not saying you're lying but let's be honest here. There isn't one report saying Colorado State is staying in the MWC. ND the MWC doesn't wanna expand and Colorado State wants more eyes on their football team.

Nope. I don’t have a link. I’m referring to the lack of smoke on our homer board or from well connected fans. 

I’m not saying you’re lying either. Ram fans just haven’t heard anything one way or another. 

4 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Has NDSU been able to build a real library yet instead of the low level one that has been there in the past.  A library that symbolizes a true university

No.  But they were instrumental in creating a North Dakota  intra-library loan group among North Dakota’s 11 colleges and universities that’s pretty neat.  They upgraded the media center too subscribing to all of North Dakota’s newspapers including the small town weeklies.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

One was a week zero game.  Another was a trip to Iowa.  All others were playoff games.

Comparatively... and consider the FCS Playoffs have zero promotion. i don't want to sound like a broken record but the FCS playoffs get zero promotion. They have 6 days notice unlike Bowl Games where they  have tons of time and they pay to air them

All these games were on ESPN on a Saturday in the same year and our playoff game was only a quarter final... not the semis or the national championship

1.984M South Dakota St.
North Dakota St.
FCS qtrs 7:00 PM ESPN
1.581M WKU
Memphis
Boca Bowl 7:00 PM ESPN
2.380M BYU
Wyoming
Poinsettia Bowl 9:16 PM

ESPN

1.143M Idaho
Colorado St.
Potato Bowl 7:00 PM ESPN
794K Tulsa
CMU
M. Beach Bowl 2:25 PM ESPN
713K SDSU
Wyoming
MWC Champ. 7:43 PM ESPN
926K WKU
La. Tech
C-USA Champ. 12:01 PM ESPN
2.050M Temple
Navy
AAC Champ. 12:01 PM ABC

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings-archived/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Comparatively... and consider the FCS Playoffs have zero promotion. i don't want to sound like a broken record but the FCS playoffs get zero promotion. They have 6 days notice unlike Bowl Games where they  have tons of time and they pay to air them

All these games were on ESPN on a Saturday in the same year and our playoff game was only a quarter final... not the semis or the national championship

1.984M South Dakota St.
North Dakota St.
FCS qtrs 7:00 PM ESPN
1.581M WKU
Memphis
Boca Bowl 7:00 PM ESPN
2.380M BYU
Wyoming
Poinsettia Bowl 9:16 PM

ESPN

1.143M Idaho
Colorado St.
Potato Bowl 7:00 PM ESPN
794K Tulsa
CMU
M. Beach Bowl 2:25 PM ESPN
713K SDSU
Wyoming
MWC Champ. 7:43 PM ESPN
926K WKU
La. Tech
C-USA Champ. 12:01 PM ESPN
2.050M Temple
Navy
AAC Champ. 12:01 PM ABC

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings-archived/

Same season, also on a saturday. Notice you picked bowls for some and conf champs for others...I'm sure you weren't doing that to create favorable results right?

image.png.a10b9340c6e0d8dc32b50c7b8c82e132.png

8 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

Not super interested in NDSU debates if/until MWC intends to invite.  And there's no indication of that, even if AFA/CSU depart.  If they decide to expand, they'll look at Texas schools first.

IMHO no FCS schools will be looked at unless the MWC is down to more than half of the schools we have now.  At the worse the CUSA schools want out of their disaster of a TV contract and FBS NMSU will scream "yes" when the phone starts ringing.

IF it gets to the point of adding FCS schools, the top candidates will be the Montana twins and some teams from California. 

image.gif

31 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

UND and USD don't have the capacity. They dont even have endzone seats.

The Fargodome is plenty big and averaged more than San Jose State, New Mexico, and Nevada did in 2019 and were only about 1500 behind Utah State and UNLV. They can add seats to the dome but not more than 1500-2K max. That's plenty

The Fargodome is getting remodeled in the  near future but the building itself is an awesome place to see a game. The technology is great including 2 - 100' x 30' HD video boards in the endzones, 4 corner HD boards, HD lighting and a new sound system. The dome looks great on TV too.

It just needs some upgrades that they will be working on in the near future including widening the concourses, adding more rest rooms, converting an unused press box to premium seats / club, and ultimately adding a convention center and hotel. The process will speed up they an FBS move happens and they have almost $50 in reserve funds.

But you don't really NEED more when you've been charging $55 per game for an end zone seat and have 13,000 season ticket holders who make donations

49 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Those early bowl games and G5 CCGs (and the CCGs are on 6 days notice and have competition) get as much promotion as FCS playoff games.   ESPN is nothing if not the masters of self promotion.  And they dont pay to air many of those bowl games because they own the bloody game.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

22 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Same season, also on a saturday. Notice you picked bowls for some and conf champs for others...I'm sure you weren't doing that to create favorable results right?

image.png.a10b9340c6e0d8dc32b50c7b8c82e132.png

This game is on ABC which is free over the air and has way more viewers than ESPN with 2 solid teams, especially Houston.

I picked mainly G5 level conference championship games on ESPN all on Saturdays. I was going to show the 200K people who watched the MAC Championship game but that was on Tuesday. I'm not going to throw in Power 5 Bowl games because they skew the numbers and are promoted to death.

One thing I did learn is Pacific time zone games draw horribly. Mountain, Central and Eastern time zones tend to draw better.

My point is NDSU has an audience. It's not Boise big but it would be good for the conference. I threw Memphis on their because they are being mentioned as a huge draw for the Conference and they drew a half million less viewers for a Bowl Game on ESPN Saturday Night than NDSU did for a quarter final playoff games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Do you seriously think NDSU will recruit as well in FBS as they do in FCS?  I guarantee the Bisons recruiting edge that they now enjoy over their FCS competition will not transer to the FBS.  A lot of players will choose NDSU now over G5 schools knowing they will actually get more media attention.  More postseason exposure.  Postseason as a G5 is very different.  Hell, only one G5 team per year gets a NY6 game.  Rarely, does a G5 team even play a P5 team in a bowl game.

If and when the P5 splits off from the G5, and it will eventually happen, that is when NDSU should move up to the G5.

Plus, some of those more regional kids from ND, SD, MN, NE, etc that can play at the FCS level won't cut it at the FBS level.  Their recruiting philosophy will have to change somewhat.