Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

11 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I'm not trying to be a total homer, but the data doesn't make sense to me.  BSU is guaranteed ESPN slots, by default that's pretty high viewership.  How is Hawaii higher than that?  Most of their games are on third tier not available to mainland yeah?

The Islanders love them some football.

I also suspect there is a large Hawaiin diaspora out there.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

4 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Would you still want to play those schools again if any of them returned to the Big West? :hmmm: Because if SDSU and Boise also go with the Flyboys, then some of those schools you mentioned will be contacting their old home.

Of course.  And if any of them did return that would certainly weight the balance more heavily in favor of UH staying in the Big West (where it may still be weighted more heavily regardless; we don't know UH is actually talking to the MWC about a move).

2 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I sure hope BSU does not.  Memphis/SMU/ECU/USF/Temple/Tulane/Navy/Tulsa..  the only team I could see BSU fans be interested in is Navy.

From what the reporters on Sickem360 are saying, I don't think Boise will be playing those teams in the AAC or the Big 12.

3mxsBs3.jpg

3 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I sure hope BSU does not.  Memphis/SMU/ECU/USF/Temple/Tulane/Navy/Tulsa..  the only team I could see BSU fans be interested in is Navy.  Compare that to all the teams in MWC, it's a no-brainer as far as what fans would be interested in watching on a Saturday.

My post assumes the MW defectors go to the AAC as full members.  So that wouldn't concern Boise.

8 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Nothing says FBS like Dixie State (err, Utah Tech), Lamar, Incarnate Word, Southern Utah and company.  Yes, Chicago State is leaving after this year and Southern Utah comes aboard.  But that's a fugly, bloated map.

image.png.b36ef8b3ba90b679b99ffa7c5960a575.png

What's with the roadies to Seattle ?

wtf ?

These kinds of Conferences are what's killing 80% of the G5.

• Like 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

The FCS effect, which you'd lose quickly if you weren't immediately if you aren't succesful moving up.  Lost in a crowd.  As an alpha dog in FCS you are a novelty, and will draw eyes because of it.

18 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I'm not trying to be a total homer, but the data doesn't make sense to me.  BSU is guaranteed ESPN slots, by default that's pretty high viewership.  How is Hawaii higher than that?  Most of their games are on third tier not available to mainland yeah?

I think the simple explanation is that the sample size is small and includes UH home games against Arizona, Oregon State and BYU. 

Central Time Zone is actually great for a TV contract. These late night Pacific time zone games are on so late, it hurts ratings since 

1 minute ago, lakesbison said:

ESPN2 Games don't draw as well as regular ESPN and none of those were in "prime time" hours. Also the Frisco National Championship games started at 11 AM. However they were the top rated sporting events in their time slots. Also NDSU Playoff Games are not promoted or advertised by ESPN. They only air them because they are contractually obligated. They spend all their marketing on Bowl Games because they pay for them. 

If you look at other FCS playoff  games, they draw 300K viewers.

One of the biggest advantages of NDSU is being in the central time zone. CBS Sports Network stands to make more money with games starting 2 hours earlier.

20 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Nothing says FBS like Dixie State (err, Utah Tech), Lamar, Incarnate Word, Southern Utah and company.  Yes, Chicago State is leaving after this year and Southern Utah comes aboard.  But that's a fugly, bloated map.

image.png.b36ef8b3ba90b679b99ffa7c5960a575.png

Incarnate Word?  My guess is the WAC 3.0 is rated higher than Big West after this season.  Chicago State served a purpose.  It was a numbers game and they were needed until the Texas additions this year.  I am surprised they were able to stay afloat.  They had serious financial issues at the school.

35 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

These are all playoff games for the Bison that you are comparing against.

30 minutes ago, roughrider said:

The FCS effect, which you'd lose quickly if you weren't immediately if you aren't succesful moving up.  Lost in a crowd.  As an alpha dog in FCS you are a novelty, and will draw eyes because of it.

Not only that these are playoff game viewerships listed for NDSU.  The very thing that has made NDSU successful is what they will be giving up to come to the FBS.  Playoff success that drives recruiting, fan interest and relavance.  So come on over to the FBS Bison.  In a few years you're recruiting edge will be gone along with your post season relavance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roughrider said:

There are programs that people just want to watch because they are good and interesting. I couldn't tell you what Boise's record was the last 5 years or what it is today, but if they are on TV, I want to watch them because they are a good and interesting program. I love their style.

We've had 2 losing seasons in 58 years.  People like to watch us because we are a nationally known brand, have a great atmosphere on TV, play an exciting old school style of football, routinely beat Big 10 and Big 12 schools and produce exciting players and first round picks at the QB position.

We do all of that with 22 less scholarships. Heck when we first moved up to D1 and weren't playoff eligible, we were beating FBS teams with mostly juniors and seniors who were recruited as D2 players. We haven't scratched the surface on what we can do

40 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

How many of these were either playoff games or games played in the spring?  Because those would not be a good indicator of FBS viewership.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

6 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

There are programs that people just want to watch because they are good and interesting. I couldn't tell you what Boise's record was the last 5 years or what it is today, but if they are on TV, I want to watch them because they are a good and interesting program. I love their style.

We've had 2 losing seasons in 58 years.  People like to watch us because we are a nationally known brand, have a great atmosphere on TV, play an exciting old school style of football, routinely beat Big 10 and Big 12 schools and produce exciting players and first round picks at the QB position.

We do all of that with 22 less scholarships. Heck when we first moved up to D1 and weren't playoff eligible, we were beating FBS teams with mostly juniors and seniors who were recruited as D2 players. We haven't scratched the surface on what we can do

Your team says Utah but I suspect you're an NDSU fan.   Realize that week in and week out those established teams will wear you down.  This coming from and FCS team that moved up. 

Not saying you can't make it.  Saying your TV numbers will dry up immediately and tv execs and smart commissioners (ie. not Thompson) know this.  Those #'s are worth something but ....

5 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

These are all playoff games for the Bison that you are comparing against.

Not only that these are playoff game viewerships listed for NDSU.  The very thing that has made NDSU successful is what they will be giving up to come to the FBS.  Playoff success that drives recruiting, fan interest and relavance.  So come on over to the FBS Bison.  In a few years you're recruiting edge will be gone along with your post season relavance.

Bottom like is the number of scholarships. We mostly recruit regionally except for some skilled players.  FBS has 22 more scholarships. That means we have 22 players on our roster that are walk ons and are paying their own way through college. That would more than make it up. 

NDSU fan interest has been waning. We know we are going to win 95% of the games before they even start. It feels like playing Madden on the super easy mode. But whenever we get some good competition, fan interest goes way up. We want to see 4 quarter games, not blowouts that are over at half time.

16 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Do you seriously think NDSU will recruit as well in FBS as they do in FCS?  I guarantee the Bisons recruiting edge that they now enjoy over their FCS competition will not transer to the FBS.  A lot of players will choose NDSU now over G5 schools knowing they will actually get more media attention.  More postseason exposure.  Postseason as a G5 is very different.  Hell, only one G5 team per year gets a NY6 game.  Rarely, does a G5 team even play a P5 team in a bowl game.

If and when the P5 splits off from the G5, and it will eventually happen, that is when NDSU should move up to the G5.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

This empty stadium is why Colorado State is leaving. 

CSU has had improved attendance at Canvas compared to Hughes. The average attendance has increased from the 23-25k range to around 27-30k. If there was a half decent coach and a winning product on the field there would be several thousand more there. 

https://csurams.com/news/2018/5/14/rams-saw-eighth-largest-per-game-football-attendance-increase-in-2017.aspx

5 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

CSU has had improved attendance at Canvas compared to Hughes. The average attendance has increased from the 23-25k range to around 27-30k. If there was a half decent coach and a winning product on the field there would be several thousand more there. 

I'm sure having Tulane and East Carolina come into town will help

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg