Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I apologize in advance for the long post below.

I’ve been leaning and continue to lean toward the stand-pat option if AFA and CSU leave.  I like the idea of a full round-robin in football as it reminds me of the old 1980s WAC days.  Those were good times, with every game being a war.

However if the conference presidents are thinking safety in numbers they’ll probably want to backfill for anyone who leaves.  So let’s assume the MWC loses AFA and CSU, targets returning to 12 and wants replacements in Texas.

In that scenario I think the first add should be North Texas. The second should be UTSA, but if the AAC has already taken the Roadrunners then I’d go with Texas State over UTEP.

I’d also invite Grand Canyon as an Olympic sports counterpart to Hawaii.

Finally, I’d go with a north/south divisional alignment instead of the traditional east/west. In football each school would have an 8-game conference schedule consisting of division opponents, one fixed crossover matchup and two rotating crossover games.

Here’s the proposed football divisional alignment with the fixed crossover opponents paired:

North/South
San Jose State/Hawaii
Fresno State/San Diego State
Nevada/UNLV
Utah State/New Mexico
Boise State/North Texas
Wyoming/UTSA

This arrangement would set up most of the conference’s key rivalry games to be played annually, including San Jose State-Hawaii, San Jose State-Fresno State, Fresno State-San Diego State, Fresno State-Boise State, Boise State-Nevada, Nevada-UNLV, Utah State-Wyoming, and North Texas-UTSA.

Moreover the addition of Grand Canyon would bolster basketball and bridge the geographic gap between California/Nevada and New Mexico/Texas.

Everyone would end up with logical travel partners for Olympic sports:
San Jose State-Fresno State
Nevada-Boise State
Utah State-Wyoming
San Diego State-UNLV
Grand Canyon-New Mexico
North Texas-UTSA

The MWC would have a media presence in the following top-100 metro areas:
4 - Dallas/Fort Worth
11 - Phoenix
17 - San Diego
24 - San Antonio
29 - Las Vegas
35 - San Jose
47 - Salt Lake City
54 - Honolulu
56 - Fresno
61 - Albuquerque
77 - Boise

And finally, in a worse-case scenario where the Big 12 circles back later and poaches both Boise State and San Diego State, it would be easy to backfill with Montana in the north and UTEP in the south.

No way Fresno would agree to have to travel to Wyoming/Utah every year while SDSU travels to Texas.   You go east west to center around the population centers in CA and TX. 

6 hours ago, punchinello said:

NDSU would be an exciting addition for the MWC (or the American or MAC) as a FB-only member.  They have won 8 Division I FCS championships in the past 10 years, winning nearly 14 games/year.  The Bisons would probably be one of the upper echelon FB programs in the MWC.

They would probably agree to join as FB members, because the travel costs might be prohibitive for their other sports.  If so, the MWC could add one of the stronger BB western schools to join along with NDSU.

The plural of bison is bison.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Nothing definitive.  He says the AAC “is believed to be” targeting MWC schools “including” BSU, SDSU, AFA and CSU and also says AFA and CSU “are believed to be more interested in leaving than the other two.”

There’s also this:

“Mountain West ADs met Monday to discuss various situations and contingency plans in the event it loses teams. Those discussions include the value of staying together, potential conference additions or even staying at 10 football-playing schools should two leave. The league’s presidents are also scheduled to meet Thursday.“

So maybe we’ll hear something more after the presidents meet today.

I’m guessing more term sheet discussions…..  here is what I hope they do:

1) no bidding against each other… all schools go under the same package

2) take the Boise money and make it a true performance bonus for football and basketball.   Good coaches should be rewarded.   

I’m guess with Thompson it will be something different.  

19 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I've recently read where Memphis & BSU will not get invited due to academics.

Supposedly, they will only consider programs who are R1 research universities.  Also,  WVU has the lowest academics in the league and they don't want schools ranked lower than WVU.

I don't find that difficult to believe.

So, the entire MW dies not qualify academically or FB revenue/eyeballs wise.

Got it.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

5 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Well. Hate to bring the good news but Air Force and Colorado State are gone. The exact reason for CSU is to better position themselves in case of more realignment. For Air Force is to be with more private schools and Navy.

Its a done deal. MWC is gonna stay at 10 and add basketball schools.

Which basketball schools?

Also, does this mean we’re going to a round robin football schedule?  Boise will get to play it’s real rivals in Nevada and Fresno again, annually which are popular games for all 3 fanbases and TV partners. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Most of the Bison today do not have 100% pure bison DNA. Most of them have been tainted with domesticated cows.

If you wanna see pure Bison you have to go to Yellowstone, Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota, the Henry Mountains in Utah, (Most people in Utah have no idea they are even there.) and they have created a new Prairie Reserve in Central Montana.

I know you didn't wanna know that but I'm telling you anyway.

The bison herd near Dulce NM on the Jicarilla Apache res is also pure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Most of the Bison today do not have 100% pure bison DNA. Most of them have been tainted with domesticated cows.

If you wanna see pure Bison you have to go to Yellowstone, Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota, the Henry Mountains in Utah, (Most people in Utah have no idea they are even there.) and they have created a new Prairie Reserve in Central Montana.

So you are telling me it is the NDSU Beefalos. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree with that.  We'd have to be in desperation mode.  It's more likely the AAC takes a FCS school than the MW takes one.

Do the NewMags and UTEP count as FCS schools ? Their historical on field performance would indicate so.

• Haha 2

Americans Mayor

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Don't know but Boise State is considering the AAC and ESPN's offer as well. To me it makes no sense.

I hope Boise doesn’t go. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Bob said:

lol. I rarely if ever post on this board. BYU is a university of losers

Factually untrue as far as BYU being a university of losers, they are very successful in virtually every sport.  I will say though that BYU is universally despised by most MWC fans minus Boise fans who seemingly have a love affair with the Borg and want to be BYU version II.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

34 minutes ago, Bob said:

NorCal is confused. Obviously.

😂…. The post of mine in question and that you quoted was clearly referencing Nevada Convert as it quoted him.  Jack mixed the 2 of you up and you’re running with it now playing victim - even after i pointed it out to you.  Go back and read it all again with your good eye.  I’m not the confused one here.  Obviously.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I hope Boise doesn’t go. 

I hope they stay as well, but if the do go, I won't lose any sleep.  Boise is a big part of the MWC and if they do leave, no question it will hurt but MWC will need to move on.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

13 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

I was bored last week and did most of this while waiting to pick up a friend. Just wanted to see what a northeast aligned league might look like. P12, MWC, AAC, all probably unhappy in this outcome.

SEC: Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Missouri, Louisiana State, Arkansas, Mississippi,  Mississippi State

/ Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

B10: Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern

/ Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

ACC: Boston College, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, West Virgina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville

/ Miami, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Clemson, Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, North Carolina State

P16: Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Boise State, Nevada, Utah, Colorado

/ California, Stanford, Southern California, California-Los Angeles, Hawaii, Nevada-Las Vegas,  Arizona State, Arizona

B12: New Mexico, Colorado State, Air Force, Brigham Young, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor

/ Memphis, Central Florida, Tulane, Cincinnati, Texas Christian, Tulsa, Houston, Southern Methodist

MWC: San Jose State, Fresno State, San Diego State, Northern Arizona, Wyoming, Utah State, Weber State, Eastern Washington

/ Rice, Texas-El Paso, New Mexico State, Texas-San Antonio, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Montana, Montana State

Sun Belt: Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Southern Mississippi, Middle Tennessee State

/ Florida Atlantic, Florida International, South Florida, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Alabama-Birmingham, South Alabama, Troy

MAC: Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Toledo, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan

/ Ball State, Bowling Green, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Ohio, Miami (OH), Akron, Kent State

American: Eastern Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, Appalachian State, Liberty, Old Dominion, James Madison, Richmond

/ Massachusetts, Connecticut, Buffalo, Rhode Island, Army, Navy, Temple, Towson

Wow !

You are delusional believing the likes of UNLV, Boise, Nevada, and Hawaii make the P16 and the rest of the MW gets demoted to the Big Sky.

The Pac will only take Academic Institutions. Only Boise has proven themselves in FB.  All four of your choices don't make the grade. Demoting the athletic cream of the MW to the Big Sky is also a joke.

Americans Mayor

43 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Well. Hate to bring the good news but Air Force and Colorado State are gone. The exact reason for CSU is to better position themselves in case of more realignment. For Air Force is to be with more private schools and Navy.

Its a done deal. MWC is gonna stay at 10 and add basketball schools.

Well, odd move for CSU.  Could be disastrous for them but we'll see how it goes.  Hopefully the Rivalry games will stay in Football and basketball for CSU.  Really don't care about AF, although like I said it is a close road trip for both fan bases.  Good conference game but if not in conference, it loses quite a bit of the appeal.  

Best of luck Rams

• Like 1

Conference realignment isn’t slowing down, and American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco believes his league could add new members in a matter of weeks, rather than months.

Aresco made the comments in a brief interview with The Athletic after Wednesday’s College Football Playoff meeting involving all 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame’s athletic director.

“We’ve engaged only with people that had an interest,” Aresco said.

It’s been a frantic several weeks in the Group of 5 on the topic of realignment. There was a race for the Big 12, but AAC members Cincinnati, Houston and UCF only needed to submit a short official letter in the end to get the official invitation, as they stood out from the pack from a television, financial and athletic success perspective. From there, attention turned to the AAC, which is now looking for two to four additions to restock.

That’s where things get complicated. Some schools very much want an invitation from the AAC. Some schools question the value of the conference, especially if Memphis gets a Big 12 invitation in a few years. And some believe that those downplaying the AAC are only jealous they’re not in the AAC conversation. Everyone has a different opinion. These are petty times.

Moving to the SEC or up to the Big 12 was an easy decision. Decisions now are not as clear. Still, schools are putting together their information and pitches, should the opportunity arise.

Aresco would not hint at or name any schools the AAC is considering, but a western wing of Mountain West schools is believed to be among the top targets, including Boise State, San Diego State, Colorado State and Air Force, according to other sources. All four have athletic budgets around $50 million, which is in the AAC’s range. But in the weeks since AAC spots opened up, it’s Colorado State and Air Force that are believed to be more interested in leaving than the other two.

Boise State and SDSU once briefly agreed to join the Big East, and the Broncos have previously had discussions with the AAC. But Boise State will be a top target if the Big 12 expands again, and commissioner Bob Bowlsby has said further expansion is very much on the table. So the potential of paying two conference exit fees within a few years with a move to the AAC is not appealing. SDSU has its sights on a Power 5 invitation as well. The travel costs in the AAC for Boise State and SDSU would also be greater than the two Colorado schools. Sending volleyball teams to Philadelphia and Greenville, N.C., is not a draw.

There’s also doubt about the future of the AAC’s television deal. AAC schools currently make about $6 million annually, but that is bound to go down without the three departing programs and their sizable television audiences. How much so has been up for debate. The Mountain West distributes about $4 million annually, but Boise State receives its own carve-out for its home games that can be worth an additional $1.8 million. (That carve-out has frustrated other MWC schools, and the league’s attempt to change it led to a threat of a lawsuit from Boise State in 2020.)

Still, there’s a belief that, with Cincinnati, Houston and UCF leaving for the Big 12, earning a Group of 5 spot in a potential expanded College Football Playoff should be easier moving forward. For a big fish in a smaller pond, there may be no need to change conferences within the G5.

Meanwhile, for Air Force and Colorado State, travel east would be a bit easier than for Boise State and San Diego State, and the Mountain West already requires plane travel to most other schools for them. The flip side of the Memphis question: There’s a concern about the MWC’s value if Boise State receives a future Big 12 invitation, and there’s a feeling of needing to get ahead of that move. And again, the value of an AAC that adds these schools is up for debate. As a service academy, Air Force has a national fan base, and adding the Mountain time zone could add more broadcast windows for the AAC, in hopes of offsetting the loss of three major teams.

Sources outside the AAC and MWC are skeptical there will be much, if any, financial gain in leaving the MWC for the AAC, at least in the short term. But these aren’t short-term moves, and moods around conference movement can change by the day.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson, who has historically been tight-lipped on issues, has not been afraid to share his opinion on this topic, recently telling the San Diego Union-Tribune that he didn’t see any value in leaving the MWC and saying nobody buys the AAC’s “Power 6” moniker. Thompson believes the MWC is the sixth-best conference moving forward if it sticks together.

Asked by The Athletic if he was surprised at the teams considering leaving for the AAC, Thompson replied, “Nothing surprises me. People are trying to look out for their institution’s best interest and I might not agree, but I understand the options of people. I respect their decision to play in a conference they feel they should be placed.”

Mountain West ADs met Monday to discuss various situations and contingency plans in the event it loses teams. Those discussions include the value of staying together, potential conference additions or even staying at 10 football-playing schools should two leave. The league’s presidents are also scheduled to meet Thursday.

Some people in the MWC have pointed to North Texas, Rice and UTSA as potential additions if the conference wants to reach into Texas, while also pointing to North Dakota State if on-field football success is more important. Unlike the AAC, there are not many options within the current footprint out west.

Thompson has been through this many times. He experienced TCU’s departure for the Big 12 and Utah’s departure for the Pac-12, while also beating back a poach attempt by the WAC, eventually outlasting and adding those teams. That WAC incident in 2010, nicknamed “The Project” that Thompson describes as a coup, involved BYU’s potential clandestine departure for the WAC at the time. But Thompson and the MWC preempted the move by adding Fresno State and Nevada, weakening the WAC.

All of that is to say Thompson has seen his share of realignment battles and reacted quickly before. That influences his more relaxed approach in this one.

“I have a demeanor that’s a little different than others,” Thompson said. ‘Oh, gosh’ — we have time to think through all this. What we’re doing is the due diligence of saying we need to be prepared in case, but hopefully, some of those things don’t need to be implemented.”

There is not a game-changing payday to be made in these moves, unlike the SEC’s and Big 12’s additions. It may come down more to long-term planning and belief about what the Group of 5 will look like down the road.

These moves are also happening around the delay of College Football Playoff expansion plans, largely caused by Texas’ and Oklahoma’s announced move to the SEC, which set off this whole realignment chain. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey added two of Bowlsby’s teams, and Bowlsby has added three of Aresco’s teams. Now Aresco is looking at Thompson’s teams. Wednesday is believed to be the first time all the commissioners met together since this realignment process began, but attendees said the mood was cordial and collegial.

As for other AAC targets, UAB is believed to be near the top of the list, due to its location in a football hotbed, a growing city and university and a commitment to football with new facilities, including a new stadium. Other options are less clear. There could also be more moves down the road after the next group of additions.

The Sun Belt has its eyes on additions as well, and Conference USA could see more movement, too. Many leaders across the Group of 5 continue to express a desire to simply redraw the G5 conference maps and create regional conferences for the sake of rivalries and travel costs, believing the difference in television money isn’t all that impactful. But those with a seat at a more valuable table don’t have much interest in helping those that don’t.

There may be many Group of 5 realignment moves to come, and it could happen quickly.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Orale...

The Sun Belt has its eyes on additions as well, and Conference USA could see more movement, too. Many leaders across the Group of 5 continue to express a desire to simply redraw the G5 conference maps and create regional conferences for the sake of rivalries and travel costs, believing the difference in television money isn’t all that impactful. But those with a seat at a more valuable table don’t have much interest in helping those that don’t.

There may be many Group of 5 realignment moves to come, and it could happen quickly.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I'm into it.  That Henry Mountain herd is totally dope.