Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

25 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That's great.  They are still P5-light and they are the conference any P4 looking to add will look for new members.  There isn't a school in that league who wouldn't leave for the PAC, BIG or ACC. 

There is a reason they weren't included in the 'Alliance' and no P4 conference was interested in a scheduling agreement with the B12.  

The New Big 12 are at worst the #3 league in Football and the #1 league in basketball.

They will always be that way too because they are based where most of the talent and passion for football is.

There is nothing "lite" about their inherent advantages.

I just can't see the Big 12 moving above 12 until the Pac 12 implodes.

USC in the Pac 12 is the exact same fault line that existed in the Big 12 with Texas. That's where the movement will come.

I feel for the dreams of BSU and SDSU... I really do.

However, if the Big 12 wanted them they would've taken them already.

Meanwhile, in the meantime, the AAC is building back up again which means there will be more contenders, if the Pac 12 somehow survives. If those schools continue to dominate the NY6, Boise has zero shot.

But, still, the Big 12 looks at those Pac schools with even more interest than Boise dreams of the Big 12. 

I just don't see that happening.

• Like 1

3mxsBs3.jpg

45 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Does to me.  I’m sure Colorado St. and Air Force are pissed about the Boise Term sheet.   I’m guessing if Boise gives it up they will stay if not they are gone.   

Like it or not the term sheet is a rock around the neck of this conference.   If Castro weren’t Cal State Chancellor good chance SDSU would be gone too. 

If I remember correctly it was CSU’s president at the time that went with Thompson to Boise to entice them to stay with that deal.  

• Like 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, Kid Jersey said:

Reminds me of Norm MacDonald's monologue when he returned to SNL as host...you didn't think I was funny before, but now all the sudden I'm good enough to host? How did I suddenly get so funny? Then it occurred to me, I haven't gotten funnier, the show has gotten really bad.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXxinOtPiQ 

Lol, I watched that skit on my own last night.  Too funny that you brought it up.

12 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I can definitely see ACC taking WVU...it's their proper home and everyone knows it despite academics. From what I recall the PAC wasn't interested in OkieSt or TTU and on top of that is appeared the PAC only has interest in TCU and Houston if leaks are to be believed. Besides WVU the only other I can see leaving is KU, and that's IF Mizzou also leaves the SEC and comes with to the B1G. So after WVU all other moves are long shots IMO. Now long shot doesn't mean impossible and if the price is right that may be reason enough to go to 14 given the experience of that group over the last 25 years. 

I'm not predicting any defections.  I'm just saying there isn't a school in that league that wouldn't move to one of the P4's if invited.

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

The New Big 12 are at worst the #3 league in Football and the #1 league in basketball.

They will always be that way too because they are based where most of the talent and passion for football is.

USC in the Pac 12 is the exact same fault line that existed in the Big 12 with Texas. That's where the movement will come.

Meanwhile, in the meantime, the AAC is building back up again which means there will be more contenders, if the Pac 12 somehow survives. If those schools continue to dominate the NY6, Boise has zero shot.

But, still, the Big 12 looks at those Pac schools with even more interest than Boise dreams of the Big 12. 

It's amazing how they can be the #1 basketball league without even playing a game.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Welcome back Stunner 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

The above comment is why Boise State will look hard at the AAC.

If Boise isn't trying to establish themselves as better than the AAC teams (by regularly beating them), then they will never get the Big 12's attention (due to geography and other reasons - such as basketball).

As the AAC pushes other teams to the NY6, like Memphis/USF/etc, those teams will get the focus.

Thompson is counting on it.

3mxsBs3.jpg

37 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I would guess AFA would go for football only..I think the AAC would be happy with that arrangement..AFA could house their other sports in a neighboring conference like the Summit.

Makes sense on multiple levels.

1. Military academy Oly sports simply cannot be consistently competitive at the FBS level.

2. There is already one military academy in the AAC for football only.

3. Joining the AAC for football would enable AFA to add another OOC opponent since their obligatory contest against Navy would become a conference game.

4. AFA could send its Olys to Summit League schools for no more money than it's spending to send them to MWC sites.

5. Troy Calhoun is an AFA alumnus who is huge in Colorado Springs so AFA doesn't want to lose him to another school and Calhoun hates the MWC.

6. It's been rumored for some time that Aresco has wanted all service academies and getting AFA might enable the AAC to pressure Army to join too.

7. Despite getting AFA only for football, so doing would soothe Aresco's massive ego and give him another bullet to fire at Craig Thompson in their urination match.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Welcome back Stunner 

I hope not.  Although the obsession with low rent Texas schools is a red flag.   Wonder if 'Cowboy' knows where El Paso is.

Woulda hoped that with some time off, he'd get his mojo back.  But if this is Stunner, it would appear that the slide downward has continued.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, RSF said:

I hope not.  Although the obsession with low rent Texas schools is a red flag.

Woulda hoped that with some time off, he'd get his mojo back.  But if this is Stunner, it would appear that the slide downward has continued.

The Texas schools obsession is a red flag but so is the relentless need to convince others he's right and to do it in such a patronizing and syrupy way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, azinco said:

I would say the Big 12 schools that flirted with the PAC are taking a collective sigh of relief that a dodged a bullet.  Not only has the PAC been horrible in football, the game times have to be a killer for those in the central time zone.

Although they take some guidance from athletic directors, ultimately it's university presidents who decide which conference their school will participate in. The Pac12 may not be the B1G academically but it's a step above the Big 12 so if you think that wouldn't be a benefit to the Pac12 in luring Okie State and Texas Tech, you're mistaken.

22 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Makes sense on multiple levels.

1. Military academy Oly sports simply cannot be consistently competitive at the FBS level.

2. There is already one military academy in the AAC for football only.

3. Joining the AAC for football would enable AFA to add another OOC opponent since their obligatory contest against Navy would become a conference game.

4. AFA could send its Olys to Summit League schools for no more money than it's spending to send them to MWC sites.

5. Troy Calhoun is an AFA alumnus who is huge in Colorado Springs so AFA doesn't want to lose him to another school and Calhoun hates the MWC.

6. It's been rumored for some time that Aresco has wanted all service academies and getting AFA might enable the AAC to pressure Army to join too.

7. Despite getting AFA only for football, so doing would soothe Aresco's massive ego and give him another bullet to fire at Craig Thompson in their urination match.

I wonder if AFA is looking at the WCC to replace BYU?    While not great for basketball AFA has a number of men’s minor sports that would help the WCC to remain sponsoring or possibly add.   

8 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Kinda crazy. Matt Brown doesn't have a rep as a troll either. Very interesting.

I bought Brown's book and it wasn't bad. However, the guy strikes me as being merely a Mormon who loves BYU football and did a lot of research to put the thing together. It doesn't contain any inside info that I'm aware of.

27 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

The above comment is why Boise State will look hard at the AAC.

If Boise isn't trying to establish themselves as better than the AAC teams (by regularly beating them), then they will never get the Big 12's attention (due to geography and other reasons - such as basketball).

As the AAC pushes other teams to the NY6, like Memphis/USF/etc, those teams will get the focus.

Thompson is counting on it.

Wow..You can read minds too?