Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

The only positive I could even think about is if those 4 teams go to the AAC (and I think it would be foolish) it would open the door for the four teams I would like to see in the MWC. If those teams leave the MWC could shoot for the following:

Mountain Division:

Montana, Montana State, Wyoming, Utah State, NDSU, SDSU

(States: MT, WY, UT, ND, SD)

West Division:

SJSU, Hawaii, UNLV, UNR, UNM, FSU

(States: CA, NV, NM, HI)

A solid relatively geographical sound conference that keeps the MWC at 12 members and room for expansion into NM/Texas if need be (NMSU, UTEP, Texas State and UTSA). At that point survival is the biggest thing hence the addition of New Mexico state.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kid Jersey said:

Add Memphis and SMU as full members
Add Gonzaga and Wichita State as non-football members

Why wasn't this done weeks ago? 

You have the AAC on the ropes. Go for the KO. 

Neither conference has enough leverage over the other to make teams moving worth it.  The money isn't there.  The rivalries aren't there.  And, you still have the possibility of both conferences losing one school if the B12 adds 2 more schools.  The AAC isn't adding Boise and anyone else from MWC.  The MWC isn't adding SMU and whoever else from AAC.  AAC probably picks up a couple CUSA/Sun Belt schools for now to get numbers back up.

Big 12 may expand but could be potential to cover if schools leave, I think what to watch is actually Sun Belt, C-USA and AAC for MWC. MWC has wanted to get into Texas for a bit just to expand recruiting and their profile but also they could look for a program that doesn't necessarily play football either who could help them

3 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Big 12 may expand but could be potential to cover if schools leave, I think what to watch is actually Sun Belt, C-USA and AAC for MWC. MWC has wanted to get into Texas for a bit just to expand recruiting and their profile but also they could look for a program that doesn't necessarily play football either who could help them

I hear Lamar, Tarleton State, Sam Houston State and Abilene Christian all all available... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think that's just some message board fans. The school presidents seem to want to keep things as regional as possible.  

We have been told over and over by the insiders here that Thompson makes all the decisions, so what the presidents may or may not want is irrelevant..Thompson has said publicly that Texas is a goal for expansion..

Should be a done deal..

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think that's just some message board fans. The school presidents seem to want to keep things as regional as possible.  

Nah that actually came from the commish office during the last time things were going saying they would look to Texas to try to get some recruiting there as that raised people saying they were wondering if UTEP was on the doorstep of getting an invite or if they were thinking of trying to snag SMU again

19 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Nah that actually came from the commish office during the last time things were going saying they would look to Texas to try to get some recruiting there as that raised people saying they were wondering if UTEP was on the doorstep of getting an invite or if they were thinking of trying to snag SMU again

I thought that was more of a hypothetical, "if we ever do," type of thing.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

I haven't been reading all the thread so someone may have already brought this up. Since Memphis got abandoned in the AAC, why not offer them up an invite, with another central time zone partner. I was thinking UL - Ragin Cajuns. Great recruiting grounds. The rest of the AAC is now CUSA. Not that exciting. Slide Boise over to the West side and away you go. I doubt big12 is going to expand anymore, but if something happened that they did and invited Boise and Memphis, You're still at a 12 team league and potentially avoiding an AAC snipe.  I know the Hair is not that proactive.

15 minutes ago, spc_ops said:

I haven't been reading all the thread so someone may have already brought this up. Since Memphis got abandoned in the AAC, why not offer them up an invite, with another central time zone partner. I was thinking UL - Ragin Cajuns. Great recruiting grounds. The rest of the AAC is now CUSA. Not that exciting. Slide Boise over to the West side and away you go. I doubt big12 is going to expand anymore, but if something happened that they did and invited Boise and Memphis, You're still at a 12 team league and potentially avoiding an AAC snipe.  I know the Hair is not that proactive.

Or, if you don't like the sound of the Cajuns, you could go with Tulane. New Orleans and Memphis are 50,51 TV markets respectively.