Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

6 minutes ago, Dirtball said:

Please god.

Thamel has fallen into the “let’s go big and create a coast-to-coast best of the rest conference!” trap.  The revenue math doesn’t work with that many mouths to feed, as the per-school TV money payout is likely to be only $12-14 million with 16 members versus $16-18 million with 10 members (compared to $28 million today, and well over $50 million for Big 10 and SEC schools).  Plus the logistics for non-football sports are terrible in a coast-to-coast conference; you either have to be willing to schedule as if you’re two separate conferences, or be willing to send your teams on continent-spanning road trips.

The reality is that the more AAC and MWC schools the Big 12 adds, the more it will look like the AAC and MWC.  I don’t think that’s the Big 12’s goal.  The smart move is to add BYU and Cincinnati and stop.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I would take him over Hair for sure. He promotes his league. Not sure why you have a problem with that. Craig Thompson is universally loathed here in Utah by every fanbase and it's because he's a shitshow of a commissioner

Maybe.  Looks like Aresco locked the AAC into a not so good TV deal that is way too long.  Given all the changes taking place, I think that will prove to be a big blunder.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I think your ire is misplaced.  I would like to have BYU in the same conference as UCF. I find it ironic you chose that gif because he set himself up for disappointment. 

Wait; didn't they stay together after the end of the movie? How is that disappointment? It was actually kind of a sweet and touching plot line. Or did you mean because she was black?

7 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Wait; didn't they stay together after the end of the movie? How is that disappointment? It was actually kind of a sweet and touching plot line. Or did you mean because she was black?

Yeah...he didnt watch the movie...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Billings said:

Maybe.  Looks like Aresco locked the AAC into a not so good TV deal that is way too long.  Given all the changes taking place, I think that will prove to be a big blunder.

I have never cared for that argument as the TV deal falls apart if any 1 of Memphis, Cincy, Houston, UCF leave the AAC...that TV deal was NEVER going to get 12 years...they could have made it a 100 year deal for all it matters.

• Facepalm 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

If the Pac-12 were to expand, one school stands as the clear No. 1 pick

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/26/if-the-pac-12-were-to-expand-one-school-stands-as-the-clear-no-1-pick/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Champagne if only there was a decent university in the DFW area.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I have never cared for that argument as the TV deal falls apart if any 1 of Memphis, Cincy, Houston, UCF leave the AAC...that TV deal was NEVER going to get 12 years...they could have made it a 100 year deal for all it matters.

So he made a TV deal he didn’t expect to be completed heavily backloaded? That seems…. Dumb. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So he made a TV deal he didn’t expect to be completed heavily backloaded? That seems…. Dumb. 

NO Kidding.  If they lose a member the whole deal is redone and most of the money is never paid.   Hi arrogance that they would be the ones adding members may bite them in the butt.

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I honestly believe that most, including Aresco, believed this wouldn't go down until around 2024 giving him three more years to build the AAC along with the tv deal pay bumps that would come along with it.

but that's JMHO

mem skyline sig.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Billings said:

NO Kidding.  If they lose a member the whole deal is redone and most of the money is never paid.   Hi arrogance that they would be the ones adding members may bite them in the butt.

to be fair it was UConn's defection that led to our current predicament. They gave up on football and went back to the BE.

from a hoops view it's smart but Memphis would have never played in the Cotton and Liberty Bowls as an Indy. Thus we are now 1 defection away from the deal falling apart.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, Brew_Poke said:

4 hours ago, RSF said:

Are you saying that @Did I hear a WOOSH? even needs to be fact-checked on movie references? Damn, that is some crazy dedication to misinformation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RSF said:

I get that @Did I hear a WOOSH? falls very short on 99.999% of his credibility and stat battles. He’s not the sharpest tool in the shed. 

But how can even the dumbest dolt mess up on Napoleon Dynamite?  

Kip’s transformation into an OG pimp with his new lady is pre school knowledge. 

8CE6CC7D-0083-4A23-92B4-3AE567038170.gif

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I would take him over Hair for sure. He promotes his league. Not sure why you have a problem with that. Craig Thompson is universally loathed here in Utah by every fanbase and it's because he's a shitshow of a commissioner

Thompson is probably the single worst commissioner I know of.  Not sure why you brought him into your lust for the carnival  barker.  There are many personality/idea types that would make a good commish.  It's not a binary equation.

35 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Thompson is probably the single worst commissioner I know of.  Not sure why you brought him into your lust for the carnival  barker.  There are many personality/idea types that would make a good commish.  It's not a binary equation.

I’ll see you a Thompson and raise you a Larry Scott. 

A tennis goon that always had his eye on his next mansion. Really did nothing for the P12 and the whole time was by far the highest paid commish in CFB.

39 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I guess I feel like it's cool around here to rag on Aresco, but he's done a lot more for his league than Thompson has.

It's shocking to me that Thompson continues to be employed here.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Aresco is fine..Thompson is fine..Everybody wants a villain to blame.  The league presidents and the MW are the bosses of  both men..They appear to be happy with what both are doing.  The presidents' opinion is the only one that matters..

1 hour ago, utenation said:

I’ll see you a Thompson and raise you a Larry Scott. 

A tennis goon that always had his eye on his next mansion. Really did nothing for the P12 and the whole time was by far the highest paid commish in CFB.

Fair. It's a horse race.  Two morons who didn't understand their jobs.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I guess I feel like it's cool around here to rag on Aresco, but he's done a lot more for his league than Thompson has.

It's shocking to me that Thompson continues to be employed here.

He's world's better than Hair.  He knew promotion was what every G5 needs.  Hair knows zip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roughrider said:

He's world's better than Hair.  He knew promotion was what every G5 needs.  Hair knows zip.

If Thompson was as inept as message board folks think he is, he would have been fired years ago..The presidents are happy with the guy..It does not matter one iota what any of us think here..

• Like 2
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1