Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

14 minutes ago, alum93 said:

The B12 can survive if they hold the losses at 2 teams.  It will get dicey if programs like Kansas start to get picked off.  I think even at 6 they can rebuild, but then the question becomes what kind of contract the incoming schools can expect coming from the AAC or MWC.  Will the SEC even stop at 16 teams?  If the BiG, ACC, and P12 all hold on to their top teams, maybe this whole thing results in a couple teams making the jump from AAC to B12 and things cool down.  But if the BiG gets aggressive with a response to SEC expansion, things could dramatically change in college football more quickly than many of us thought would happen. 

With the money being talked about for college players, it is more or less a pro league at the top.  $1M for Alabama qb?  I think i'll stick to enjoying mid major teams play out west and catch the occasional huge game at P5 level on cable.  I have no problem with college athletes taking advantage of the new rules and banking coin, but it doesn't feel like it is about the actual schools and tradition anymore.  

They can withstand losing 3 if WVU is able to get that ACC invite. It’s all going to come down to the Pac-12. Really, even if they lose 5 schools (those 3 plus KU and ISU) they would most likely survive. Houston would leave the AAC to share a conference with Tech, TCU, Baylor, and Ok State. Bring in BYU also and you have a group of 7 schools that could poach any AAC or MWC schools they want.

14 hours ago, RSF said:

Also, dont be surprised if Fox makes a play for exclusive rights to the Big 10 in 3 years.  The lines are being drawn.

I believe the Pac & Big will leave ESPN all together 

• Like 2

Related image

22 hours ago, RSF said:

When you marry UT, you know what you're in for.  They're going to BBD you at some point, so you hope the pre-nup gets you something on the way out.  And then you start swiping left or right and hope what end up with isnt a troll.

I was never under any illusion that this was a forever thing.  Was kinda hoping it would outlive me, but it is what it is.

Screenshot_20210803-122016.png

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

They can withstand losing 3 if WVU is able to get that ACC invite. It’s all going to come down to the Pac-12. Really, even if they lose 5 schools (those 3 plus KU and ISU) they would most likely survive. Houston would leave the AAC to share a conference with Tech, TCU, Baylor, and Ok State. Bring in BYU also and you have a group of 7 schools that could poach any AAC or MWC schools they want.

I generally agree but ISU is stuck in the B8/12 and the only ones of the leftovers which might soon go anywhere besides the P12 are WVU to the ACC and Kansas to the B1G. Also, I know I sound like a broken record (not that any of you young guys know what that sounds like) but I see no way the P12 adds anybody but TT and Okie State.

So only if the B12 goes down to just TCU, ISU, Baylor and KSU could it possibly cease to exist and I actually think that if Aresco hadn't already been scheming to poach some B12 members (allegedly), he could have worked out a merger of his conference with those four and created a really good conference composed of 14 all-sports members plus Navy. But if that was to occur after the smoke clears, just how impotent would that make TCU, ISU, Baylor and KSU look in the light of Aresco's purported scheming?

39 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Rumors of Kansas to B10 may be imminent with an announcement within the next 2 weeks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/kansas-to-big-ten-may-be-imminent-according-to-insider/ar-AAMU5A6

Well, that is what I was posting............KU hoops has big value.

If true, there goes the biggest "value" programs from the B12 

22 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Oh...sorry didn't see your post. 

I agree...or should say OU and Texass WILL pay to end the divorce amicably.  It's the only way to get it done quick. The Big 12 will not be such selfish pricks to try and hold OU/Texass to the end of the tv contract (2025).

I disagree with @RebelRobertif that's his view.

That is not my view.  Others on here believe that contracts are the end all be all and I simply stated that contracts are made to be broken and that they can't stop someone from moving anywhere they want to move.  I understand that they will likely be negotiated down in court but I would love for a school to fight a GOR and prove it isn't worth the paper it is written on. 

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, kalua pig said:

the big12 is drowning.no need for the pac12 to throw them a lifeline.unless they fear the mwc takes the leftovers.

There’s not enough in the big 12 to really threaten the PAC unfortunately.  That would be good for football if the MWC could acquire and threaten the pac for western dominance.  The PAC hasn’t earned their perch, they are riding the coattails of geography.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kalua pig said:

the big12 is drowning.no need for the pac12 to throw them a lifeline.unless they fear the mwc takes the leftovers.

The P12 will do what is best for its members.  If that means working with the B12, they will.  If a B12 falls apart, there are multiple ways it could hurt the P12.  WV to the ACC or Kansas to the BiG could push the P12 further behind in the numbers game as one example.  Even if the bottom 4 or 5 B12 programs scatter to the MWC and AAC, that strengthens those conferences.  Why would the P12 want to see another western conference get better?  So i think the P12 would either want to poach the best B12 programs or see that the remaining B12 members survive and back fill with MWC and AAC teams.  They certainly aren't going to help them out of the goodness of their heart.  They are looking out for their own interests.  I think everything depends on the the next handful of big programs staying put - USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, and a couple others.  If a couple more big teams move,  it will be pure panic and chaos from the smaller schools in the P5 conferences.  I personally don't like the changes, but it is what it is.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

ESPN is already at the table ready to throw more money to expand the aac.  I really don’t think anyone is getting poached unless ESPN wants it or if someone overpays.  Nobody knows who wins at this point but the aac sits better than you’re giving them credit for.  

• Haha 5
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

ESPN is already at the table ready to throw more money to expand the aac.  I really don’t think anyone is getting poached unless ESPN wants it or if someone overpays.  Nobody knows who wins at this point but the aac sits better than you’re giving them credit for.  

The AAC will get poached if the Big 12 wants to poach them. I’m rooting for UCF to get an invite, hope you aren’t too anxious about it.

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The AAC will get poached if the Big 12 wants to poach them. I’m rooting for UCF to get an invite, hope you aren’t too anxious about it.

If he were, he wouldnt admit it.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level