Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

24 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

There are as many people in LA, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego Counties than there are in Florida. (21 million)

Is Ventura Co no longer SoCal?

2 minutes ago, Den60 said:

Tucson isn't a big market. Too bad they aren't the Phoenix school.

But they are a state school.  Their market is the whole state.  Texas A&M is in a podunk town, but that's not their market.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

shows you what I know 

:facepalm:

It was part of the deal when ABC took over from CBS.  Nobody noticed the + part.  Just the 300 million a year part.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Is Ventura Co no longer SoCal?

I suppose we can let them in, but they have to behave themselves.

• Like 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Honestly part of the problem with PAC-12 teams is the time difference obviously but it's the location. There is a lot of shit to do out west. Hunting, hiking, fishing, Vegas, National Parks, getting high and passing out......for men, being out west is paradise if you care about doing things outside of work and home.

I'm never home. I'm always outside doing something. I forget games are on all the time because I'm doing something else. When I lived out east I didn't do that. Too crowded, too hot, too dirty, too many idiots commiting crime or walking up to you asking dumb shit.

People on the west coast don't know how lucky they have it.

People need to stop blaming it on lifestyle, other interests, or this and that. 

The PAC overall has sterile, boring fanbases that just aren't that in to college football the way people are in other parts of the country. 

Besides ASU, Utah, and Oregon it's a pretty bland crowd for PAC football.

• Like 4

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

People here never bitch about the 1st Saturday of hunting season when there is a game around here.

Oh, wait....they do.  Every year.

Except for the Vegas part, got all that hunting/fishing/passing out shit.  Its just that CFB takes precedence.  And the passing out invariably occurs DURING the game, so, ya know, 2 birds/1 stone.

16 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

are you going to invite all 9 of the AAU PAC12 schools?

:shrug:

No, just 6 for 4 pods of 5. Thats why CU is likely.

Coastal POD: WA/ORE/USC/UCLA/AZ

Midwest POD: CU/NEB/IOWA/IND/Ill

North POD: MINN/WISC/MICH/MICHst/NW

East POD: Maryland/Rutgers/PSU/tOSU/PUR

A couple of things that were brought up in this thread

1. the idea that the Big 12 should go after two or four teams from the AAC well there is a major problem with that in light of the recent accusations by the Big 12

CBS has reported that the Big 12 contracts with Fox and ESPN are viable as long as the Big 12 is viable......but it is well known from back when the AAC signed their deal with ESPN that if some particular teams leave the AAC (presumed to the the "top teams") that the value of the AAC contract is reduced in an amount greater than just the shares of those members

so right now it is not a good idea for the Big 12 to be trying to lure any member from the AAC because that could show damages to the AAC

2. a person mentioned the SEC and Texas and OU......yes one can make the claim that Texas and OU are damaging the conference (along with the SEC) by moving to the SEC

but here is a difference as of now if what CBS reports is true that Fox and ESPN still owe the full amount of the contract to the Big 12 even if Texas and OU leave well it makes it a lot harder for the Big 12 to claim damages

plus there is the aspect that Texas and OU will be paying the exit fees of two years prior distributions as stated in the 99 year contract for conference membership.....those exit fees right now look to be $80 to $85 million each for Texas and OU and there are reports that saying Texas has $150 million lined up to make a clean break from the Big 12 so it looks like Texas is simply wanting to offer straight cash homie to get out of the Big 12 clean and easy and one would assume OU was thinking the same

and as of now while the Big 12 probably suspects that the SEC has been talking to ESPN and ESPN has been telling them what they would pay with Texas and OU well the Big 12 does not have proof of that

so while the Big 12 has every right to show damages that damage amount goes to pretty much nothing if the Big 12 gets paid in full for the remainder of the ESPN and Fox contracts and more so if Texas and OU pay the full exit fees (and possibly more to take their media rights)

so even if the Big 12 could show that the SEC is "enticing" Texas and OU there are no damages to collect on if the Big 12 is paid in full by ESPN and Fox and they collect the full exit fees

so what is vastly different with the AAC issue is that the Big 12 is saying they have clear evidence of ESPN offering the AAC financial gain to lure Big 12 teams from the Big 12 and the AAC made that offer to the Big 12......more importantly the Big 12 is saying they have proof that ESPN is doing that so that they can break up the Big 12 and no longer pay the Big 12 contracts

so the Big 12 is saying they have actual proof of ESPN and the AAC working together to have financial gain for themselves by causing financial harm to the Big 12

that is different than with the SEC where so far nothing can be shown that the SEC and ESPN were working to make sure that ESPN did not have to pay the remainder of the contracts with the Big 12.....we know that ESPN and the SEC are looking to get financial gain from that move, but without proof that they also desired to harm the Big 12 it is not the same issue as what is being alleged against ESPN and the AAC

• Like 1

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

49 minutes ago, Den60 said:

Tucson isn't a big market. Too bad they aren't the Phoenix school.

Adding in AZ to have a nice clean conf of 4 pods of 5 isnt relevant when you look at the roster of schools in the mix...it would rival the SEC in value.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I just know how ruthless American businesses are. It seems like whoever has the most money usually gets what they want here. And ESPN basically owns the playoff and the bowl system. If the Big 12 fights them til the death, who is to say the Big 12 gets screwed in the bowls, the playoff....

I guess I just think the Big 12 has already crossed boundaries that are already gonna cost them $ in the future. So why keep digging that hole?

Content will matter to ESPN, even if the Big12 exposed them for playing dirty.  All of the Big12 schools are located in the Central Time Zone.  Granted the SEC has a number of schools in the Central Time Zone, and the Big10 have a few, but Big10 is more Fox than ESPN,  So I think ESPN will still have to play nice with the Big12, while gritting their teeth, or Fox could control the Big12, majority of the Big10, and looking West no-longer with the MWC and a split deal with the Pac.  I feel ESPN is on pretty shaky ground here, they look to have been caught playing dirty here and have low balled the G5 for years and years making the P5's stronger and stronger....  Now they are going after the P5's to....   Things are going to streaming more and more and big tech companies starting to get involved (Netflix, Facebook, Amazon, and ect...)  So, possible content for ESPN is actually shrinking and now they look to have been caught playing dirty so they don't have to pay a contracted amount.  I would love to see ESPN sued for 3x the damages and have pay or do some kind plus settlement (more money than was stated in the contract).  It not like ESPN is the only option out there (Fox just took ESPN's spot with the MWC), heck NBC might want contract 10 or 12 game with the Big12 (Notre Dame normally only has 7 home games a year).

• Like 1

when I compare the bottom of the PAC12 with the bottom of the B1G its nearly identical. I think you can make a case that the B1G is worse. You can't tell me their are rabid fan bases for football for Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers. The B1G's value comes from the fact that it has 2-3 exception fan bases and 3-4 really good ones.  

Same with the ACC.

28 minutes ago, Someone said:

A couple of things that were brought up in this thread

1. the idea that the Big 12 should go after two or four teams from the AAC well there is a major problem with that in light of the recent accusations by the Big 12

CBS has reported that the Big 12 contracts with Fox and ESPN are viable as long as the Big 12 is viable......but it is well known from back when the AAC signed their deal with ESPN that if some particular teams leave the AAC (presumed to the the "top teams") that the value of the AAC contract is reduced in an amount greater than just the shares of those members

so right now it is not a good idea for the Big 12 to be trying to lure any member from the AAC because that could show damages to the AAC

2. a person mentioned the SEC and Texas and OU......yes one can make the claim that Texas and OU are damaging the conference (along with the SEC) by moving to the SEC

but here is a difference as of now if what CBS reports is true that Fox and ESPN still owe the full amount of the contract to the Big 12 even if Texas and OU leave well it makes it a lot harder for the Big 12 to claim damages

plus there is the aspect that Texas and OU will be paying the exit fees of two years prior distributions as stated in the 99 year contract for conference membership.....those exit fees right now look to be $80 to $85 million each for Texas and OU and there are reports that saying Texas has $150 million lined up to make a clean break from the Big 12 so it looks like Texas is simply wanting to offer straight cash homie to get out of the Big 12 clean and easy and one would assume OU was thinking the same

and as of now while the Big 12 probably suspects that the SEC has been talking to ESPN and ESPN has been telling them what they would pay with Texas and OU well the Big 12 does not have proof of that

so while the Big 12 has every right to show damages that damage amount goes to pretty much nothing if the Big 12 gets paid in full for the remainder of the ESPN and Fox contracts and more so if Texas and OU pay the full exit fees (and possibly more to take their media rights)

so even if the Big 12 could show that the SEC is "enticing" Texas and OU there are no damages to collect on if the Big 12 is paid in full by ESPN and Fox and they collect the full exit fees

so what is vastly different with the AAC issue is that the Big 12 is saying they have clear evidence of ESPN offering the AAC financial gain to lure Big 12 teams from the Big 12 and the AAC made that offer to the Big 12......more importantly the Big 12 is saying they have proof that ESPN is doing that so that they can break up the Big 12 and no longer pay the Big 12 contracts

so the Big 12 is saying they have actual proof of ESPN and the AAC working together to have financial gain for themselves by causing financial harm to the Big 12

that is different than with the SEC where so far nothing can be shown that the SEC and ESPN were working to make sure that ESPN did not have to pay the remainder of the contracts with the Big 12.....we know that ESPN and the SEC are looking to get financial gain from that move, but without proof that they also desired to harm the Big 12 it is not the same issue as what is being alleged against ESPN and the AAC

I just don't think that the AAC damages case would have any legs to it.   Because the AAC would be do their best to get an invite and it's not like the Big12 would be working with the Big12 to lure AAC teams away,  Plus the AAC has an exit fee for a reason.   Does the AAC have any kind of GOR deal?

19 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

I expect the B12 to bring teams in, either go east with the AAC or west and nab some MWC schools and BYU. For my school, they go West and we are likely in , no reason to go West and not take the most attractive CA school.. They go east and the MWC is the solid #6 conference and the AAC is crap. However, if the B1G raids the PAC of 6 schools then all bets are off.

I'd bet whatever is left of the B12 will try to grab best potential from MWC & AAC 

MWC could be: BSU, SDSU, CSU, UNLV, UNR, Fresno St 

AAC could be: Central FL, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, SMU, South FL 

The above bring market size & potential ..........but with the B12 leftovers all being in the central time zone, they may favor more AAC schools & a CSU, which is on the edge of their existing footprint .......if the AAC does go west & east it's become a continent wide spread out conference that might not produce the revenue to make it feasible or work .........so if they opt to merge more with the AAC it makes geographic sense filling the gap between most of the B12 & West Virginia (if WVA is still around) 

Could see B12'ers Baylor, TCU, OK St, Texas Tech, K State, Iowa St more cohesive with Houston, SMU, Cincy, Memphis South & Central FL ...that makes a 12 team conference with a big Texas presence and a bridge to the two Florida schools ( this assumes Kansas & WVA leave the B12 

49 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

No, just 6 for 4 pods of 5. Thats why CU is likely.

Coastal POD: WA/ORE/USC/UCLA/AZ

Midwest POD: CU/NEB/IOWA/IND/Ill

North POD: MINN/WISC/MICH/MICHst/NW

East POD: Maryland/Rutgers/PSU/tOSU/PUR

Arizona's not getting the B1G call

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

14 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Does the AAC have any kind of GOR deal?

No.  And their exit fee is 10 million for 27 months.  UConn paid 17 spread over (I think) 5 years to get out early.  And dont you think they are happy about that now....

2 hours ago, RSF said:

But they are a state school.  Their market is the whole state.  Texas A&M is in a podunk town, but that's not their market.

University of Southern California. I'm in SoCAL and I don't root for them. I'm pretty sure Cal students and Alumni don't root for University of California Los Angeles.

00126-SDSUvArizona-main.jpg

5 minutes ago, Den60 said:

University of Southern California. I'm in SoCAL and I don't root for them. I'm pretty sure Cal students and Alumni don't root for University of California Los Angeles.

Well, no one said ASU students and alumni would be rooting for anybody but their school.

And, as has been pointed out, California could easily be multiple states.  And you glossed over the Los Angeles part, which is telling.  There is, in fact, more than one University of California.  The same con not be said for the University of Arizona.

And USC is a private school.