Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 minute ago, SDSUfan said:

The top of the B12 is now the 2nd best team in Oklahoma, a state only a little larger in population than San Diego county, the third best team in Texas and the 2nd most popular team in Iowa, a state smaller than San Diego county and West Virginia, the crazy aunt locked in the closet.  It's a regional G5. The only national appeal is basketball.  

If they expand east, they'll be able to add schools that are for the most part regional afterthoughts within the SEC/ACC/B1G footprints. If they expand to the west BYU and Boise are options but neither will move the needle far enough to make them greater than the sum of their parts. They'll still be a G5 regional. 

Anything " dramatic" that may happen from here on out will be about cobbling a BOR conference together to wipe up table scraps left behind by the four three remaining big boy conferences. 

FIFY, PAC is not a big boy conf anymore. Them and the B12 are almost the same except PAC still has its most valuable programs, even if they arent great at FB anymore. 

2 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Translation: Big 12 ADs meeting to decide what to recommend to their bosses about whether to backfill with one, two or four new members and which potential invitees would benefit the conference most from an athletics standpoint.

You have to think its BYU, Cincy, Memphis, and either Houston or UCF. I actually think Houston is the better overall add, but FB rules and UCF has a slight edge there. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Correct. The PAC-12 has been the worst P5 for a while. They have to merge with the B1G. The PAC may be better from top to bottom bit the top of the AAC is better. And how many times do we see the MWC smack then around? If I'm a PAC schools I'd stay the hell away from San Diego State. The Aztecs always wipe the floor with PAC teams.

you are the "Did I hear a woosh" of the MWC

that's not a compliment

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, RSF said:

Eh...they're all crybabies...

"Bowlsby only sent that letter with presidential support, which means this will end up bonding the eight schools remaining in the Big 12."

I think at most they only invite 2 AAC teams now, just enough to +++++ the AAC.  Aresco over played his hand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

"Bowlsby only sent that letter with presidential support, which means this will end up bonding the eight schools remaining in the Big 12."

I think at most they only invite 2 AAC teams now, just enough to +++++ the AAC.  Aresco over played his hand.

I could see 2 now, just to fulfill the current contract, then more later as the new deal is negotiated.  I think that would bring ESPN back to the table.  Still business, and content is king.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, RSF said:

I could see 2 now, just to fulfill the current contract, then more later as the new deal is negotiated.  I think that would bring ESPN back to the table.  Still business, and content is king.

Yeah, why split the remaining contract more ways than needed.  Invite 2 AAC schools, charge them each a 10 million entrance fee and be done with it.  Make them take a smaller cut in revenue distribution, too.  Any two AAC teams would still say hell yes.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, why split the remaining contract more ways than needed.  Invite 2 AAC schools, charge them each a 10 million entrance fee and be done with it.  Make them take a smaller cut in revenue distribution, too.  Any two AAC teams would still say hell yes.

And my WAG in that scenario is Cincy and Memphis.  That gives West Virginia a bit more continuity.  It was also gives the conference time to decide:

a) do they want to deal with BYU, and is any interest reciprocated

b) Whether they want to venture into Florida or not

c) make SMU and Houston sweat and dance some for their supper.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

And my WAG in that scenario is Cincy and Memphis.  That gives West Virginia a bit more continuity.  It was also gives the conference time to decide:

a) do they want to deal with BYU, and is any interest reciprocated

b) Whether they want to venture into Florida or not

c) make SMU and Houston sweat and dance some for their supper.

I think SMU and Houston are off the table if the 8 Big 12 teams are as unified as they seem.  No reason to piss off TT, TCU and Baylor. 

18 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

FIFY, PAC is not a big boy conf anymore. Them and the B12 are almost the same except PAC still has its most valuable programs, even if they arent great at FB anymore. 

Pac is still one of the Big Boys. They're just not good at football right now. They are the only major conference where more than 75 million people reside. To think otherwise is just silly. 

• Like 2

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think SMU and Houston are off the table if the 8 Big 12 teams are as unified as they seem.  No reason to piss off TT, TCU and Baylor. 

It'll depend on a) and b).  If both BYU and a Florida school get the nod, then both are probably out.  Otherwise, one is probably in play.

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

But they are the AAC teams most likely to say yes quickly. I'm sure the best get out there (BYU) has already been contacted by ESPN. Boise State would take a chance. Our last administration already screwed is out of a future anyway. Might as well take a chance if we get the call. (We won't.)

Any AAC team would say yes in half a minute.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

Have you ever heard of BYU not being complicated and hard to deal with?

The Big 12 has Texas (for now).  And we have even more experience.  Complicated and hard to deal with is something the schools are familiar with.

Which is why I said "a) do they want to deal with BYU, and is any interest reciprocated"

10 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Pac is still one of the Big Boys. They're just not good at football right now. They are the only major conference where more than 75 million people reside. To think otherwise is just silly. 

This is meaningless without as many eyeballs actually watching games as the SEC/B1G/ACC. The big takeaway regarding the remaining 8 is their draw is pretty similar to the AAC's top teams, the PAC unfortunately has the same issue looking at ratings on Sports Media Watch. You remove 2 of USC/UCLA/ORE/WASH and the PAC would be in a world of hurt. 

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

This is meaningless without as many eyeballs actually watching games as the SEC/B1G/ACC. The big takeaway regarding the remaining 8 is their draw is pretty similar to the AAC's top teams, the PAC unfortunately has the same issue looking at ratings on Sports Media Watch. You remove 2 of USC/UCLA/ORE/WASH and the PAC would be in a world of hurt. 

and if you removed Ohio St and Michigan and Clemson/Florida St? Anyone not named the SEC is susceptible 

52 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

lmfao.

I know I'd take whatever horseshit AAC team who won their conference over Oregon, USC, UW, etc.

Lay off the meth, mate.

@Ibanezis so full of shit, his eyes are brown. He really needs to lay off his “insider” shit. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1