Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Oh GAWD!  I actually agree with @Akkula

Someone...KILL...ME!!!!!

• Haha 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 hours ago, Den60 said:

It isn't like the SEC hasn't been in control before this move, it's not like they haven't been making tons more money that G5 schools. We are already third tier and that isn't really going to change. You have the P5 elites, the rest of the P5 schools, and then the G-5 schools (which has higher and lower value schools). Will the G5 eventually get locked out of the college playoffs? Sure. They are eventually going to be closer to 32 BCS schools than 48 or 64. The elites are looking to challenge the NFL.  But, there will still be a market for college football in San Diego and other G5 cities.

Perhaps you are correct.  As much as I've tried I've never been able to accurately predict the future with any type of consistency. 

That said, I see the difference now being NIL. I am not sure fans realize the potential ramifications of this.  There will be no control over any of it.  Donors & boosters will decide to pay athletes to go to a particular school.  This will mostly happen in the major sports at the big money schools but will also happen in minor sports that most fans don't care about.  This will further the already unfair playing fields which exist for amateur college athletes.  Athletic departments will start seeing boosters give money to athletes instead of the athletic department.  Athletic departments already run at deficits.  They will now be greater than before.  And long term I can see some schools deciding they don't need to be involved with this at all.  Probably wrong but I see eventually only those who have profitable athletic departments wanting to deal with it and only those who are invited to the big boy conference will be profitable.

3 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

Perhaps you are correct.  As much as I've tried I've never been able to accurately predict the future with any type of consistency. 

That said, I see the difference now being NIL. I am not sure fans realize the potential ramifications of this.  There will be no control over any of it.  Donors & boosters will decide to pay athletes to go to a particular school.  This will mostly happen in the major sports at the big money schools but will also happen in minor sports that most fans don't care about.  This will further the already unfair playing fields which exist for amateur college athletes.  Athletic departments will start seeing boosters give money to athletes instead of the athletic department.  Athletic departments already run at deficits.  They will now be greater than before.  And long term I can see some schools deciding they don't need to be involved with this at all.  Probably wrong but I see eventually only those who have profitable athletic departments wanting to deal with it and only those who are invited to the big boy conference will be profitable.

Who will win the Kentucky Derby next year?

12 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Has the Big 12 lost their mind?  ESPN can cut their contract by up to 75% now that Texas/OU are gone and they are going to threaten them?

Big 12 leftovers are going to be playing games on some channel nobody ever heard of.

Big mistake.  I am not sure we want to be partners with these people.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Someone Else said:

IIRC, SCOTUS didn't say the NCAA couldn't place any restrictions on the money earned by student-athletes (REALLY sic now), simply that the NCAA can't be arbitrary like it historically has been.

Prolly won't matter anyway though because the SEC seems hell bent on at least pulling the football rug out from under the NCAA.

05458v.jpg#h=1024&w=834

1 hour ago, azgreg said:

Her Baylor schtick should have had her on the phone with lawyers...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

What was said might happen is happening.  ESPN is telling some big12 schools that if they want a lifeboat they need to come to their properties.  

ESPN has 9 of the 10 conferences, genius....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The conference which "Nutty" has heard rumors is trying to steal some more of his members couldn't possibly be the Pac12.

Cuz if you ask Pac12 fans, they'll tell you their conference is sitting 100% pretty right now.

AAC