Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

5 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The main reason the Chargers left SD is that for 15 years or so they were unable to come to an agreement with the City of SD or even the County of SD on building a new stadium. How was SDSU able to get that done? Political pressure, pure and simple. SDSU grads have never managed to become prominent in Sacramento but for many years there have been a plethora of them at the local level. (San Diegans are quite jingoistic.)

As I understand it, Aztec Stadium is being constructed in a way that would make adding an additional 10K seats quite easy. Granted, a 45K seat stadium would be too small for the NFL but there are a number of 65K seat stadiums in the league so in the unlikely event SDSU football would go away, the stadium could easily be sold to an NFL franchise. While it was being built out that team could temporarily play at Petco Park, which is owned by the Padres.

Keep this in mind. For decades, the city of SD had control over the local NFL franchise and the local MLB franchise as well as SDSU's football team because it owned the facility they all played in. However, given the city's terrible maintenance of that facility, no way will the populace ever again put up with that scenario.

The Chargers demanded the city spend $100M to upgrade the Q. The city did and got stuck with a stupid ticket guarantee that bled public money. As soon as the renovation was completed, Alex Spanos went on MNF and demanded a new stadium. The Chargers worked on a plan to be gifted the land (perhaps a 99 year lease), build a new stadium adjacent to the Q, then tear the stadium down and redevelop the entire site to fund it. They could not get a financial partner and the Chargers pulled the deal off the table. The Chargers had terrible ownership over the years, Gene Klein sold to Alex and both were bad. Dean is even worse. Hell, he is a laughing stock, the Donald Sterling of the NFL. Did you see what he did to Kronke? He didn't work hard to sell PSLs because the money would go to offset building costs. He is, basically, a squatter for the next 19 years in LA, a city that won't support them, and then will move someone else. Quite unlikely that would be San Diego. The city and the NFL came up with a good deal to keep them in MV with a $900M stadium, plenty good for their needs. Spanos would only have had to put up some $200M. Dean knowingly demanded the impossible, a $1.3B stadium downtown that would block the expansion of the convention center. Voters told him, rightly so, to go pound sand.

Aztec stadium can be expanded but there will likely never be a reason for that. College football attendance has been decreasing, not increasing. UCLA puts some 43K people in a stadium that holds double that. The new stadium can be temporarily expanded to 40K or so for a bowl game. Neither Stanford or Cal are selling out. Small stadiums drive up demand for season tickets. Big stadiums mean you can just walk up on game day and buy a seat. That is why the Padres built Petco and that is why SDSU had issues with the Q even when they were paying $100k per year for it.

5 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm listening to this press conference on YouTube and that's not what he said.

He said "the only P5 conference with teams in the Pacific and Mtn time zones"

It doesn't matter. If he stays put, their conference gis way back in the rear view mirror. They are already the worst of the remaining power conferences. Not sure the schools are going to like that.

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

Looks just like that on gameday too.  Who’s UNLV playing in this picture?

Must suck for you since BYU dropped all sports during the Great Recession.  Haven't seen you in years.

Lonely BYU fans with nobody to talk to and no sports to watch because BYU gave up.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Its pretty damn good.

proper.stadium.seating.jpg.c23570fdfa040c19970b9c09cf59cabe.jpg

Again, why buy season tickets when you can walk up on game day and buy one? Go to whatever game looks good to you and if the team is tanking stay home. In 2019 you averaged 20,756 for your 4 conference games (even less if I add in the two non-conference games). Yes, the picture looks nice but it will look terrible with 20K people in the seats. Bad for optics, bad for recruiting. At SDSU we know, we were in a 68K stadium that we would put 30K in. The Padres could sell out big games at the Q, some 62K seats for baseball. And, yet, they built a 42K seat downtown for the very same reasoning, to sell season tickets.

15 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Must suck for you since BYU dropped all sports during the Great Recession.  Haven't seen you in years.

Lonely BYU fans with nobody to talk to and no sports to watch because BYU gave up.

You ok?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Billings said:

about 64 teams will make the final cut.  Go get em UNLV......You can't win in an $$ arms race either.   I was just pointing out that if it goes the way that Someone else mentions the sun will still come up..

I see little changing for Wyo.  We will play in a fun western conference and still have occasional games against the future P3

Cheers to that! As a CSU alum, I am tired of realignment talk. The SEC and their ilk are ruining what I enjoy about college football. I'd take CSU vs WYO, Air Force, BYU, UNM, SDSU, and Hawaii over nonsense jumping to a zombie big 12 with a bunch of schools trying to flee at their first chance. Give me as much of the old WAC as possible and I'll be at the games having a blast. Great games, real rivalries...I have zero interest in CSU vs UCF, Texas Tech, etc if it means no Air Force and Wyoming on the schedule. Time to opt out of this b.s. and get back to what made this fun to begin with.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 4

13 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

Again, why buy season tickets when you can walk up on game day and buy one? Go to whatever game looks good to you and if the team is tanking stay home. In 2019 you averaged 20,756 for your 4 conference games (even less if I add in the two non-conference games). Yes, the picture looks nice but it will look terrible with 20K people in the seats. Bad for optics, bad for recruiting. At SDSU we know, we were in a 68K stadium that we would put 30K in. The Padres could sell out big games at the Q, some 62K seats for baseball. And, yet, they built a 42K seat downtown for the very same reasoning, to sell season tickets.

Depends on where you want to sit.  I live in Oklahoma right now but originally bought six front row season tickets at Allegiant Stadium which I was planning to just keep long term.  

Once COVID hit and limited fans were allowed in but not the UNDISPUTED #1 fan, I decided it was silly to have season tickets when as you say, I can just go online and purchase the best seats in the house for relatively cheap when I am in town.

Stadium has 100, 200, 300 & 400 level.

UNLV will work to sellout the 100 level with season tickets/student tickets.  200 level tickets are limited and once UNLV begins winning we should have little trouble selling out 200 level also.

300 level will likely be closed until UNLV begins winning.  Used for walk ups and families not wanting to spend as much money once UNLV is able to sell all the 100 & 200 level tickets.

400 level will likely never be used for UNLV Football games unless we become Top 25.

UNLV will average 30,000 fans this season and it should be fun in the new stadium.  I have been in the new Stadium and club section a few weeks ago for the Garth Brooks concert and it is really nice.  Location by strip is spectacular and it is so fun for a night out afterwards!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Depends on where you want to sit.  I live in Oklahoma right now but originally bought six front row season tickets at Allegiant Stadium which I was planning to just keep long term.  

Once COVID hit and limited fans were allowed in but not the UNDISPUTED #1 fan, I decided it was silly to have season tickets when as you say, I can just go online and purchase the best seats in the house for relatively cheap when I am in town.

Stadium has 100, 200, 300 & 400 level.

UNLV will work to sellout the 100 level with season tickets/student tickets.  200 level tickets are limited and once UNLV begins winning we should have little trouble selling out 200 level also.

300 level will likely be closed until UNLV begins winning.  Used for walk ups and families not wanting to spend as much money once UNLV is able to sell all the 100 & 200 level tickets.

400 level will likely never be used for UNLV Football games unless we become Top 25.

UNLV will average 30,000 fans this season and it should be fun in the new stadium.  I have been in the new Stadium and club section a few weeks ago for the Garth Brooks concert and it is really nice.  Location by strip is spectacular and it is so fun for a night out afterwards!

How many season tickets have you sold for 2021? Even were you to increase your attendance by 50% there are still plenty of good seats available. Again, no reason to buy season tickets. New stadiums are nice and novel. Still, you have to have a sellable product. I checked your BB attendance for 2019 and it was 8.2K per game (less than half capacity) and just 5th in the conference. And your history in BB is much better than in football.

What kind of deal you get for parking, concessions, and signage?

7 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

How many season tickets have you sold for 2021? Even were you to increase your attendance by 50% there are still plenty of good seats available. Again, no reason to buy season tickets. New stadiums are nice and novel. Still, you have to have a sellable product. I checked your BB attendance for 2019 and it was 8.2K per game (less than half capacity) and just 5th in the conference. And your history in BB is much better than in football.

What kind of deal you get for parking, concessions, and signage?

The deal is available to read online.  Feel free to read it.

Basketball was at the lowest point in 25 years in 2019 and that is the year you choose to look at?  Don’t worry about UNLV Basketball we will be fine.

UNLV Football has the most fun college football experience in the west with our new stadium right on the strip.  It is something special.

1 hour ago, spc_ops said:

NMSU and Idaho dropped by the sunbelt a few years ago.

Idaho was not a full member (Big Sky).  The 1st time NMSU left the Sun Belt it was voluntary, the 2nd time they were not a full member (WAC).

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, spc_ops said:

NMSU and Idaho dropped by the sunbelt a few years ago.

Idaho was not a full member (Big Sky).  The 1st time NMSU left the Sun Belt it was voluntary, the 2nd time they were not a full member (WAC).

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

The deal is available to read online.  Feel free to read it.

Basketball was at the lowest point in 25 years in 2019 and that is the year you choose to look at?  Don’t worry about UNLV Basketball we will be fine.

UNLV Football has the most fun college football experience in the west with our new stadium right on the strip.  It is something special.

I looked and couldn't find anything regarding your ticket sales. Could you post the link?

Oh, your BB program has been down for quite some time. You coaching carousel hasn't helped. Hopefully, Krueger 2 gets you back on track because you have not carried your weight in this conference of late. 

As for the rest, you are like a mime. I don't like mimes. You could be a clown. I hate clowns even more.