Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

6 minutes ago, Scooter said:

I'm going to say something positive about BYU...

I want to go to the Big 12 with them.

damn that is a kick ass stajium

I wish CSU would get a team to match it and more so to kick the crap out of CU

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

1 hour ago, wolf from 73 said:

Not saying that this merger would be Pac-12 or B-12 but a completely new conference with the remaining schools.

the issue with that is a new conference does not get NCAA auto bids for a number of years

a new conference would not have a claim to the larger P5 level football playoff shares

a new conference wold not have "autonomy" at the NCAA with the 2 votes instead of one.....that two votes is in place by "conference name" IE Big 12, PAC 12....there is nothing now that suggest the Big 12 will not keep those two votes....if a new conference was formed there is little chance it would get those 2 votes

I am not sure what would happen to any earned NCAA credits with a new conference, but that could be an issue too

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

23 minutes ago, Billings said:

uhh I was around for that one.   CSU and Air Force started the ball rolling on the disintegration of the WAC.  They found willing partners in Wyo, Utah, New Mexico, and BYU

Oh irony. CSU....the definition of athletic irrelevance.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

I really don't see value in the PAC adding anything from the B12 unless they want to go to a super conference size and recreate old ties with Colorado - The PAC would span 3 times zones & that isn't perfect unless you can sort of keep each in their own region which would mean taking at least 4 B12 schools............and as you said, where's the value come from as they don't add any "must have" programs 

Neither Utah nor Colorado was a "must have" addition to the Pac. Nor, for that matter, were either of the Arizona schools.

21 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Neither Utah nor Colorado was a "must have" addition to the Pac. Nor, for that matter, were either of the Arizona schools.

Other than "market domination" (apologies to CSU's Denver fan base, all 4 of them) I'd agree - needle mover might have been fresh markets that weren't PAC previously.........not sure one can say that about SD & LV which probably already have lots of PAC fans 

1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

5hswn9.jpg

Outstanding work

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, trvitmvnz said:

we should take a look at St John Bosco, Mater Dei, Bishop Gorman and St Louis. Round up our 16 

Maybe we can make it 18 with Corona Centennial and Long Beach Poly, get to get a few public schools in there.  

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

BYU tried to destroy the MWC but UNLV stopped them!

BYU is incompetent and the MWC saviors UNLV who are original members from 22 years ago saved the Conference by exposing their corruption.

BYU would have killed if they could.  Superman saved the day.

In the Texas/OU move to kill the Big-12, OU should have been like UNLV and exposed what Texas was trying to do.  But OU is a follower and will do whatever Texas tells them.

He is actually right.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The "must have" aspect of the Utah and Colorado additions was that they had to have 12 schools to have a conference championship game.  The conference title game was supposed to produce so much additional revenue that each original Pac10 school got an increase in revenue while still covering the payouts to Colorado and Utah. 

Then the Big12 came along and got a waiver and/or got the the rules for a championship game changed so that they could have the title game while staying at 10 teams.

Had the Pac10 lobbied for and gotten a waiver/rule change on the title game, they probably wouldn't have invited Utah, and maybe not Colorado, either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sactowndog said:

OSU and MI aren’t going to the SEC.  

Also in my model, those top AAU schools could set up a research consortium similar to the CIC with a large number of Tier 1 AAU institutions... 

Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas, are all currently AAU schools.   If a research consortium were made part of it (research brings in billions), I suspect they could probably steal Missouri who is also a research member instead of West Virginia.   At that point, only Oklahoma, TCU and Tech aren’t AAU schools.  It would not be hard to promise to work with Oklahoma to get a spot in the AAU.  That spot is worth far more than membership in the SEC money wise. 

Yes, because UT and OK isn't going to the PAC. The SEC isn't losing any schools to the BIG, much less the PAC.

20 hours ago, Someone Else said:

I don't think there will be enough interest to pay the cost of it.  Sure some people will still want to watch games. 

My pessimism arises from the fact that athletic departments lose money.  Without money sports won't happen.

SDSU gets a pretty decent subsidy from the state. A few years ago there were only about 22 athletic departments that made money. Don't know how much, if at all, that has changed.

14 hours ago, Billings said:

Oh these all “could”

alabama

clemson

notre dame

lsu

florida

ohio state

USC

oklahoma

maybe:

oregon

auburn

michigan

penn State

nah I stick to 10-15

Alabama CFP
2019 LSU CFP
2018 Clemson CFP
2017 Alabama CFP
2016 Clemson CFP
2015 Alabama CFP
2014 Ohio State CFP
2013 Florida State BCS
2012 Alabama BCS
2011 Alabama BCS
2010 Auburn BCS
2009 Alabama BCS
2008 Florida BCS
2007 LSU BCS
2006 Florida BCS
2005 Texas BCS
2004 Southern California* BCS

SEC: 11

ACC: 3

BIG: 1

Big 12 (NOW SEC): 1

PAC: 1

IF I go back a bit farther:

2003 LSU, Southern California BCS, AP, FWAA
2002 Ohio State BCS
2001 Miami (Fla.) BCS
2000 Oklahoma BCS
1999 Florida State BCS
1998 Tennessee

BCS   

SEC: +1.5

ACC: +2

BIG: +1

Big 12: +1

PAC: +.5

The trends don't support your position.

6 hours ago, ViAggie said:

Texas Tech adds what to the PAC-12?  The Lubbock market? LOLZ.  TT is screwed, OSU and Houston have a better shot at landing in the PAC-12 (but there is zero chance that UCLA and Berkeley would agree to that. 

I could be wrong? 

I don't see the PAC adding anyone. No one brings enough from the B12.

2 hours ago, roughrider said:

Oh irony. CSU....the definition of athletic irrelevance.

not then though.  Al Yates called the meeting that began the WAC breakup

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/2018/09/28/colorado-state-university-president-secret-meeting-led-creation-mountain-west-conference/1457199002/

4 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

This article deserves its own thread 

Not sure why the youngsters want to blame BYU for everything.  They screwed up a lot but they were not the instigators of the breakup of the old 16 team WAC.  Now they did try to screw up the MWC but that is a different story for another time.