Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

17 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Isn't their contract going to be renegotiated anyway when the conference membership changes? 

I have only seen one thing that hinted at that, but there are problems with that for ESPN in particular

when one party attempts to lure another party to break a contract for financial gain that is "enticement" or "torturous interference"

ESPN owns half of he Big 12 media rights and 100% of the SEC rights

the contract that Fox signed was when the Big 12 was 10 teams with A&M and MU still members and it required 10 teams to stay in force.....it made no specifics for any teams.....so when A&M and MU left TCU and WVU were in and nothing changed

then about 9 months later (Sept 2012) ESPN negotiated a new contract 3 years early with the Big 12...the one in place now....at that same time fox paid a bit more money to get better football picks so really both the contracts pay about the same

no one has ever mentioned anything about specific teams needing to be in the conference or the contracts decreases on value or become void....I have seen no credible reports of that now

BUT back to the "enticement" and "torturous interference"....even if the ESPN contract specifically had a need for Texas and OU to be in the conference or the contract decreases on value or becomes void.....well if it can be shown that ESPN was a party to luring Texas and OU to break that contract and that there was financial gain or benefit for ESPN to do so well if you lose that type of case in court then you pay 3X the damages plus court cost

I do not know if the Big 12 would win a case like that one never knows how court cases go, but if ESPN went to the Big 12 and said they are going to void their contract or reduce it greatly well that is beneficial to ESPN....and Texas and OU in the SEC is beneficial to ESPN that is a given....can it be proven that ESPN was a party to making that happen...I would say the chances are very high it could

I would say there is a chance that with Fox if Fox said they were going to void or reduce the contract well ESPN could still be on the hook for the 3xdamages from THAT contract as well.....if it can be shown that ESPN was a party to luring Texas and OU to the SEC and that it was profitable for ESPN to do so.....I think there is a chance that Fox could go after ESPN in that case as well as the Big 12 because Fox is damages as well and stands to lose those games with Texas and OU in them and thus their contract value drops

it will cost ESPN $375 million over the final 3 years of the Big 12 contract to pay it out.....Fox will be paying about the same

so is it worth it to ESPN to possibly lose 3X $375 million......or worse if Fox is shown to be damaged and ESPN is responsible and ESPN is responsible for the damages to the Big 12 for Fox lowering their contract or dropping it....well you might be looking at 3X $750 million or more if the damages to Fox are included not just the Big 12

there is another issue there too....if ESPN was drug into court they would have to start talking about all the other conferences and all the other teams in conferences that they have been talking to.....and ESPN and other conferences and other teams do not want that to get out in court

again ESPN may well try and reduce or drop the contract and same with Fox, but I have seen nothing that says they can and I believe there is a lot of financial risk and other risk to do so

I think paying it out and moving on is the best bet for them

• Like 1

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

It is starting to appear that non of the remining Power 4 conferences see any financial benefit from adding any of the remaining B-12 schools. Their only option maybe that they have to stick together and go West go East or both. I would say BYU, Cincinnati and UCF are locks. Other than that it's anybody's guess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

It is starting to appear that non of the remining Power 4 conferences see any financial benefit from adding any of the remaining B-12 schools. Their only option maybe that they have to stick together and go West go East or both. I would say BYU, Cincinnati and UCF are locks. Other than that it is anybody's guess.

Since the B1G, the P12 and the ACC were apparently blindsided by the news of UT and OU to the SEC, it's much too soon to draw any such conclusion.

It's going to take weeks if not months but I still think there's a good chance the P12 offers Okie State and TT. Both have P12 worthy academics and very good football and hoops and if I'm not mistaken, OSU has Boone Pickens millions. Just as important, so doing would greatly reduce any future chance of the nB12 retaining power conference football status.

5 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

It is starting to appear that non of the remining Power 4 conferences see any financial benefit from adding any of the remaining B-12 schools. Their only option maybe that they have to stick together and go West go East or both. I would say BYU, Cincinnati and UCF are locks. Other than that it's anybody's guess.

the key there is "remaining"

if other teams from P5 conferences start making moves then that opens up a lot of other options that is why the members of the Big 12 need to be patient

it could be a mistake to add Cincy and UCF if Arizona and ASU or Utah become available

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

4 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Since the B1G, the P12 and the ACC were apparently blindsided by the news of UT and OU to the SEC, it's much too soon to draw any such conclusion.

It's going to take weeks if not months but I still think there's a good chance the P12 offers Okie State and TT. Both have P12 worthy academics and very good football and hoops and if I'm not mistaken, OSU has Boone Pickens millions. Just as important, so doing would greatly reduce any future chance of the nB12 retaining power conference football status.

Boone's dead.

• Like 2

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

14 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

Wait until even more teams are left in the dust if/when the Big 10 poaches the top 2 to 6 Pac 12 teams.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Someone said:

the key there is "remaining"

if other teams from P5 conferences start making moves then that opens up a lot of other options that is why the members of the Big 12 need to be patient

it could be a mistake to add Cincy and UCF if Arizona and ASU or Utah become available

I can't see any scenario that would have the B-12 picking up any P-5 school. Even if the Pac lost a couple of schools.

Just now, 818SUDSFan said:

Yeah, but didn't he leave the school megabucks in a trust?

Not that I'm aware of, but its possible.  The much of the money he did give over the years was in a Pickens-managed investments, more to the school than to the athletic department.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, bigron said:

WVU doesn't make sense to anyone.  The island that they are on doesn't have an airport.  Fly in to Pittsburg and bus....a long bus ride.  WVU fans do not like the B12 at all as they can't get to any of the schools on a tank of gas and a 12 pack of beer.  The fans don't fly out of non-existent airports.   The state is losing population and that is not a good sign.   I was surprised that the B12 took them.  Those voting must have never been to Morgantown.    

WVU's AD (Oliver Luck) at the time was a good friend of B12 commissioner Bowlsby.   You can ask yourself since they're more a geographic fit over Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville and Pitt, then why didn't they invite them?  The ACC fans have always considered WVU as a bunch of hicks.  Coming from AAC fans that's a pretty low bar.  LOL  

Unfortunately the Big 12 is now stuck with them, no matter what happens.

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The main reason the Chargers left SD is that for 15 years or so they were unable to come to an agreement with the City of SD or even the County of SD on building a new stadium. How was SDSU able to get that done? Political pressure, pure and simple. SDSU grads have never managed to become prominent in Sacramento but for many years there have been a plethora of them at the local level. (San Diegans are quite jingoistic.)

As I understand it, Aztec Stadium is being constructed in a way that would make adding an additional 10K seats quite easy. Granted, a 45K seat stadium would be too small for the NFL but there are a number of 65K seat stadiums in the league so in the unlikely event SDSU football would go away, the stadium could easily be sold to an NFL franchise. While it was being built out that team could temporarily play at Petco Park, which is owned by the Padres.

Keep this in mind. For decades, the city of SD had control over the local NFL franchise and the local MLB franchise as well as SDSU's football team because it owned the facility they all played in. However, given the city's terrible maintenance of that facility, no way will the populace ever again put up with that scenario.

Yep - Raiders stadium in LV holds right around 65,000 for football 

12 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

I can't see any scenario that would have the B-12 picking up any P-5 school. Even if the Pac lost a couple of schools.

so if the PAC 12 was left with ASU, Arizona, WSU, Oregon State, Utah, and Colorado you do not see Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah listening to the Big 12?

do you think they prefer to to add 6 programs from the MWC and move on with that? Do you think that would be better for them financially and TV exposure wise than being with 6 or 8 members of the Big 12?

8 minutes ago, aztech said:

WVU's AD (Oliver Luck) at the time was a good friend of B12 commissioner Bowlsby.   You can ask yourself since they're more a geographic fit over Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville and Pitt, then why didn't they invite them?  The ACC fans have always considered WVU as a bunch of hicks.  Coming from AAC fans that's a pretty low bar.  LOL  

Unfortunately the Big 12 is now stuck with them, no matter what happens.

the issue for the Big 12 is they had to have 10 teams to keep their brand new Fox tier 2 contract in place. That contract was only one year old and at the time paid $90 million per year while the Big 12 tier 1 contract only paid $60 million.

Pitt said no to the Big 12 they were one of the first calls. Louisville told the Big 12 that they were going to honor the 3 year notice to leave the Big East. Only WVU was open to moving to the Big 12 and was willing to break the 3 year notice requirement with the Big East so that was the option that the Big 12 had.

32 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

This crap is going to have me stop watching college football.

I quit watching the NFL years ago.

Stuff like this will make me quit watching or following the new NFL lite college conferences also. If I want pros or semipros I'll just go back to the NFL games.

I may end up just following Fresno State and whatever conference it ends up in.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Someone said:

so if the PAC 12 was left with ASU, Arizona, WSU, Oregon State, Utah, and Colorado you do not see Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah listening to the Big 12?

do you think they prefer to to add 6 programs from the MWC and move on with that? Do you think that would be better for them financially and TV exposure wise than being with 6 or 8 members of the Big 12?

I really can't see any realm of possibility of teams wanting to ever leave the Pac 12.  Why do they want to leave one of the premiere historical leagues in the nation with great regional fit and historic rivalries to join an bloated eastern league 2-3 time zones away?

• Like 4
Posted Image

4 minutes ago, Someone said:

Under that scenario I still see the Pac in a slightly stronger position than the B-12 and creating some sort of merger.

• Like 1