Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Another thing to keep in mind, if 9 of the 10 big 12 schools find new conference homes, there isn’t going to be this acrimonious relationship that currently exists. At that point they will all have a vested interest in moving on sooner rather then later. People are talking about the Big 12 like it’s this separate entity; it’s just a collection of 10 schools, and if almost all decide it’s in their best interest to move on, they will do that.

23 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I don’t think the PAC-12 and B1G are going to be in add teams mode. I think they are going to be in survival mode from whatever becomes of this SEC consolidation of the best of the rest. 

That wouldn't be "best of the rest" but "best".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

Nice, but you are not getting a PAC invite. Not sure what you have to pay to play in the Raiders stadium but it is way too big for your needs. 20-30K fans in a 65K stadium is not a good optic, for fans or recruits. Plus, there is no reason to buy season tickets, you can show up on game day and grab a seat. Again, football drives the bus and you have no history of success in that sport.

Right.

The closest analogy that occurs to me as to where UNLV football is likely to be going forward is SDSU in 1997. That year, Jack Murphy Stadium's expansion from 60 grand to 71K in order to house Super Bowls was completed. The result was turning what during the early nineties Faulk years had been near sellouts into a facility which was simply too big for the Aztecs to even come close to filling. I won't try to argue that was the only reason for a downturn in the team's fortunes over the next dozen years but it was among the reasons because the atmosphere in the stadium became toxic for college football.

16 minutes ago, bigron said:

WVU doesn't make sense to anyone.  The island that they are on doesn't have an airport.  Fly in to Pittsburg and bus....a long bus ride.  WVU fans do not like the B12 at all as they can't get to any of the schools on a tank of gas and a 12 pack of beer.  The fans don't fly out of non-existent airports.   The state is losing population and that is not a good sign.   I was surprised that the B12 took them.  Those voting must have never been to Morgantown.    

There is an airport, and the ride from Pittsburgh is a little more than an hour.  We had a blast there, and the fans, despite their rep, are great...even after a soul crushing OT loss.  Charlottesville is more isolated, but its UVa so they dont have to worry about it.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

31 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

No.  And I think the minimum number of programs for a conference is 8.  If they don't lose any other teams, they don't really have to make additions to the conference.  If they want to add programs, they don't have to hurry.  

there is a problem with that

The Big 12 needs 10 teams to hold the final years of their contract

I posted on another forum that the Big 12 could simply call Liberty, BYU, or NMSU and offer them some cash (more to BYU obviously) to come fill in for a few years.....no membership, no voting rights, no exit fees if any other program leaves, no long term offer

just straight cash to show up to play games and fill in

of course the idiots on that forum were AAC so they pretend they do not understand what I am saying. but it is a simple solution to keep making $40 million a year (more if you do not give those fill in teams anywhere near a full share) and wait and see what teams come available

of course over in AAC idiot world it is all about "better jump the AAC now and that $7 million per year over 12 years or you might miss that boat"!

they cannot understand the concept that AAC members would leave to the Big 12 yesterday if ask and they would add Big 12 members 3 years from now if they were available there is no AAC boat to miss out on it an old log floating in the ocean to drift around on hoping for a rescue

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

2 minutes ago, Someone said:

there is a problem with that

The Big 12 needs 10 teams to hold the final years of their contract

I posted on another forum that the Big 12 could simply call Liberty, BYU, or NMSU and offer them some cash (more to BYU obviously) to come fill in for a few years.....no membership, no voting rights, no exit fees if any other program leaves, no long term offer

just straight cash to show up to play games and fill in

of course the idiots on that forum were AAC so they pretend they do not understand what I am saying. but it is a simple solution to keep making $40 million a year (more if you do not give those fill in teams anywhere near a full share) and wait and see what teams come available

of course over in AAC idiot world it is all about "better jump the AAC now and that $7 million per year over 12 years or you might miss that boat"!

they cannot understand the concept that AAC members would leave to the Big 12 yesterday if ask and they would add Big 12 members 3 years from now if they were available there is no AAC boat to miss out on it an old log floating in the ocean to drift around on hoping for a rescue

Isn't their contract going to be renegotiated anyway when the conference membership changes? 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

46 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

No.  And I think the minimum number of programs for a conference is 8.  If they don't lose any other teams, they don't really have to make additions to the conference.  If they want to add programs, they don't have to hurry.  

Isn’t it 7 schools? I think I remember that from when we bolted from the WAC with USU, La Tech, UTSA, and Tx State, that they needed to get back to at least 7 schools to keep the conference going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

New PAC-12 Commissioner issues a dare to the Big-12 leftovers.  Basically says the MWC doesn't exist.

I'm listening to this press conference on YouTube and that's not what he said.

He said "the only P5 conference with teams in the Pacific and Mtn time zones"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Even if the B12 is reduced to 6 teams, they are still in a position to back fill with any GO5 schools of their choosing.  Even in a depleted, weakened condition, the B12 is still a stronger and more desirable conference than the AAC or MW. 

Multiple journalistic outlets (including The Athletic) have reported otherwise.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

4 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

One thing you left out is the comment that Texas needs to become more blue collar. I've watched parts of many Longhorn games over the last several years (can never watch an entire game of players wearing burnt orange) and it's apparent UT has gotten overly foo-foo on offense. Charlie Strong was a bad hire as a school with a history of large pounding running backs like Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams went to a spread. UT has made bad hires before and eventually overcome them (e.g., John Mackovic) and they'll adjust to the SEC hardnose style of play and be just fine down the road.

3 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Multiple journalistic outlets (including The Athletic) have reported otherwise.

Link?  Because I subscribe to the Athletic and havent seen that, except Nicole Auerbach's column, which was designed to be written from the AAC perspective.  The Athletic has been trying to cover all angles and perspectives.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, RSF said:

Link?  Because I subscribe to the Athletic and havent seen that.

He is referencing the Athletic piece where they guessed the Big 12 without those teams would have their media deal reduced to 9-12 million a year.

That would still give them nearly 26 million in conference distribution, eclipsing the AAC and MWC.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

He is referencing the Athletic piece where they guessed the Big 12 without those teams would have their media deal reduced to 9-12 million a year.

That would still give them nearly 26 million in conference distribution, eclipsing the AAC and MWC.

Right, Which still makes them stronger and more desirable. 

On 7/23/2021 at 9:24 PM, NorthWestCowboy said:

What say you @Jeffkills?

Yeah, we suck...

We'll probably go .500, then Mike McCarthy is fired.  

Then, KM will be hired, and we'll be on a SB cruise for the next 4-5 years...

Ah, delusion...

New-Signature.jpg

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Isn’t it 7 schools? I think I remember that from when we bolted from the WAC with USU, La Tech, UTSA, and Tx State, that they needed to get back to at least 7 schools to keep the conference going.

the minimum for FBS status is 8 active football member schools. The WAC was allowed an exemption at 7 but it needed to get back to 8 in the near future

The WAC/Benson had hoped to keep us (Hawaii) on board and even offered the school to "double-dip" in tv revenue (PPV + Conference) as the longest remaining standing member of the conference. Which would have allowed the conference to stay at 8 member schools (Idaho, NMSU, Texas State, UTSA, Utah State, SJSU, Hawaii, La Tech along with non-fb schools like Denver and Seattle) with possible additions of football schools like Lamar and Liberty if needed for fbs status. 

But our AD and major boosters were looking for a way out the door either at going the independence route with some sort of scheduling agreement with some schools of the PAC12/MW/WAC or joining the MW in some way and keep with former conference mates that just announced them joining the MW (Fresno, Nevada) as we knew the Big West would likely allow us back in for our non-fb sports if needed because of the historical ties to the conference. Also it deterred us staying in the WAC with the increased travel to the midwest. When we left the WAC was left with 7, then when the Big East allured SDSU and Boise it allowed for SJSU and Utah State to join the MW a couple years after which created a domino effect from there

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, bigron said:

WVU doesn't make sense to anyone.  The island that they are on doesn't have an airport.  Fly in to Pittsburg and bus....a long bus ride.  WVU fans do not like the B12 at all as they can't get to any of the schools on a tank of gas and a 12 pack of beer.  The fans don't fly out of non-existent airports.   The state is losing population and that is not a good sign.   I was surprised that the B12 took them.  Those voting must have never been to Morgantown.    

WVU membership in the ACC makes considerable sense to WVU. However, last I looked, WVU can't force the ACC to take them.

Hey, I know! Joe Manchin can introduce a bill that would get that done!

• Like 1