Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

yea, since Utah has played Texas Tech exactly zero times and is 915 miles away.

Natural rivalry

Tech did share a conference with AU and ASU for a while

and of coarse with CU as well

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

18 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Why is that?

Because of all the possible moves it is the one that has the most pros for both parties (school and new conference). With any schools going to the Pac-12 i think it’s definitely the best move they could make, but I can at least come up with some realistic cons to go with the pros; with WVU there is literally no downside to moving to the ACC, it is the better fit for them in every conceivable way. 

• Like 1

Texas Tech adds what to the PAC-12?  The Lubbock market? LOLZ.  TT is screwed, OSU and Houston have a better shot at landing in the PAC-12 (but there is zero chance that UCLA and Berkeley would agree to that. 

I could be wrong? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

The WVU move makes sense for all kinds of reasons. The other ones bandied about make either little to no sense, depending on whatever is being kicked around.

Exactly. From WVU’s standpoint it’s all upside, but even from the ACC’s standpoint it gives them a solid football and bball school that also helps balance out their geography. I think this is the one move I’d bet money on happening.

• Like 2

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

Exactly. From WVU’s standpoint it’s all upside, but even from the ACC’s standpoint it gives them a solid football and bball school that also helps balance out their geography. I think this is the one move I’d bet money on happening.

wouldn't the ACC need to add two schools for scheduling?

Even if the B12 is reduced to 6 teams, they are still in a position to back fill with any GO5 schools of their choosing.  Even in a depleted, weakened condition, the B12 is still a stronger and more desirable conference than the AAC or MW. 

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Same. They're on an island in the Big XII and this would really fix that, plus it puts them back with all their old-school rivals like Pitt, VT, and Miami. Plus the idea that "the ACC wouldn't take them because academics" has no water anymore since they took Louisville in the last round.

If the ACC wanted WVU, wouldn't they already have them?  

I'm not buying into the notion that TX & OU moving on results in the BIG, ACC & PAC suddenly feeling the need to expand. 

• Like 1

Barack Obama

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Even if the B12 is reduced to 6 teams, they are still in a position to back fill with any GO5 schools of their choosing.  Even in a depleted, weakened condition, the B12 is still a stronger and more desirable conference than the AAC or MW. 

But Do G5 schools move the needle?

9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I dunno. I mean the MAC made it work with uneven divisions for a while, so I’m sure it’s doable. I think the ACC would rather do that and keep the 16th spot open for Notre Dame, but who knows.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

not if the rules for the CCG are changed to allow for pods

2 pods of 5 teams would make the deal with ND very easy....ND simply plays one pod home and home and then rotates to the next one

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

14 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I don't think they've wanted them for the last several years, but I could see them adding them now, given that we could see some shuffling here, and making a push for ND to join as a full member (which I don't see ND doing), or something along those lines.

Yeah, maybe.  Do they add value to the ACC?  I honestly don't know.  

I agree the moves made by TX & OU doesn't really change anything for ND.  They can get a scheduling agreement with anyone they want.   IIRC, the BIG isn't really an option for them because they signed an agreement that states if they join a conference prior to 2036(?) it has to be the ACC.  Like you, I see no reason for ND to make a move. 

• Like 1

Barack Obama

18 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

But Do G5 schools move the needle?

No.  And I think the minimum number of programs for a conference is 8.  If they don't lose any other teams, they don't really have to make additions to the conference.  If they want to add programs, they don't have to hurry.  

• Like 1

Barack Obama

17 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

After I hit SUBMIT I thought about the Raiders & UNLV & if that was a deterrent for UNLV ?!?!

Think for the NFL to return to SD, an NFL stadium would be needed - Not sure the new SDSU stadium fits for NFL wants & needs

Anyway, IMO I think the PAC could give SDSU & UNLV looks - I've listed the reasons for UNLV (plusses & minuses) and SDSU seems to have similar things to UNLV in a lot of areas the PAC might consider 

The main reason the Chargers left SD is that for 15 years or so they were unable to come to an agreement with the City of SD or even the County of SD on building a new stadium. How was SDSU able to get that done? Political pressure, pure and simple. SDSU grads have never managed to become prominent in Sacramento but for many years there have been a plethora of them at the local level. (San Diegans are quite jingoistic.)

As I understand it, Aztec Stadium is being constructed in a way that would make adding an additional 10K seats quite easy. Granted, a 45K seat stadium would be too small for the NFL but there are a number of 65K seat stadiums in the league so in the unlikely event SDSU football would go away, the stadium could easily be sold to an NFL franchise. While it was being built out that team could temporarily play at Petco Park, which is owned by the Padres.

Keep this in mind. For decades, the city of SD had control over the local NFL franchise and the local MLB franchise as well as SDSU's football team because it owned the facility they all played in. However, given the city's terrible maintenance of that facility, no way will the populace ever again put up with that scenario.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mysfit said:

So like climate change hits college football. Between the moves and the courts ruling for players it's massive change. 

I think the 4 mega conference model is the most likely outcome. Not good for those left out or the BCS IMO.

BCS?

25 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If the ACC wanted WVU, wouldn't they already have them?  

I'm not buying into the notion that TX & OU moving on results in the BIG, ACC & PAC suddenly feeling the need to expand. 

WVU doesn't make sense to anyone.  The island that they are on doesn't have an airport.  Fly in to Pittsburg and bus....a long bus ride.  WVU fans do not like the B12 at all as they can't get to any of the schools on a tank of gas and a 12 pack of beer.  The fans don't fly out of non-existent airports.   The state is losing population and that is not a good sign.   I was surprised that the B12 took them.  Those voting must have never been to Morgantown.    

• Like 2