Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

28 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

This would be a god damn dream come true for the MWC!

BYU out of our hair, hurts the WCC (or wherever they play now) in Basketball.

BEST OF ALL - Terrible Air Force gone forever!

We should see if the Big-12 wants SJSU or Utah State while we are at it.

All of our MWC problems solved at once.

We’d still have UNLV though. …

Jokes aside, watching Baylor and KU thump the service academies in basketball would be, well, not great.

27 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

In that same group of tweets, he mentions it’s all contingent upon the Remaining 8 holding together. Which means if WVU/Kansas leaves, everything alters again.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

49 minutes ago, RSF said:

You mean the one where the best year was one where Derrick Rose was declared ineligible and the NCAA wiped out the results?

Epic.

nope, I meant the Elite Eight's and the Sweet 16...epic when you're being left behind

were you even alive the last time TCU made the Sweet 16? lol 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

A wealth of goodness in this piece.

Texas stuck up its nose at the SEC’s culture and its non-Vanderbilt academics, and now it’s slinking there under a cloud of mediocrity looking for an identity. Texas is the muscle car that did donuts endlessly in the gas station parking lot. Suddenly it needs to ask the business next door for a jump.

He said there’s long been a stigma in NFL circles that “this is a Texas kid,” which translates to a “country club” vibe and “some softness,” even during Brown’s heyday when the Longhorns won big.

Even when it has been mediocre, Texas has managed to compete for the sport’s top ranking in drama. And now that it's ditching the Big 12, the looming question over the next decade will be how it operates among the rank-and-file after years of pushing around its Big 12 brethren in the boardroom.

13 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

also, if the AAC loses anyone out of Memphis, Houston, Cincy, and UCF then the ESPN contract goes into automatic renegotiation...

While intimidating, if ESPN wants the AAC to survive (and they most likely do), the Mouse Mothership will let Aresco know who to add to keep the value. I think the AAC is in a much better position with a much better partner than the MWC to weather this realignment storm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

If a school (Texas/OU) paid the exit fee to the Big-12 and left their Grant of Rights for Television (until 2024/25) behind to join the SEC next year (2022/23), would their games still be shown on television and would the Big-12/TV Partners have any say about what time the SEC schedules home games for OU/Texas?  Since they still own the 1st/2nd tier TV rights.

Big-12/ESPN/Fox would own the OU/Texas TV rights on all home games until 2024/25.

What if Texas/OU played all games on the road or neutral site until 2024/25?

Doesn't matter because all the $ that would be OU & UT's would stay with the Big 12.  SEC wouldn't get that money either.  The good news is that OU & UT retained their third tier rights.  In theory, all OU & UT games would be on ESPN+/SEC+ until after 2025 and they still can get a full share of the third tier money from the SEC.

There will be legal action by the 8 Big 12 schools because those same media partners could reduce payouts from $37M per team to just $9M per team.

1 hour ago, bornsilverandblue said:
1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

Expand  

In that same group of tweets, he mentions it’s all contingent upon the Remaining 8 holding together. Which means if WVU/Kansas leaves, everything alters again.

I was tempted to dismiss this for the most part. I wouldn't doubt the BYU bit. It is probably the biggest national brand left out there. Someone correct me if you disagree. The service academies I thought were a stretch but then I thought one of the biggest games of the year outside of bowls is the Army/Navy game. That would be a big item to add to the BI2's TV inventory. Then I thought a little further. You would have the ability to attract non affiliated fans across the country because of their military service. In a way it might be genius. The four institutions he mentioned above also would have great cultural affinity for the academies. It might work.

Some Tejas lawmakers want to throw a wrench (doubt this goes anywhere)

“Are the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma another step closer to taking their Red River rivalry to the Southeastern Conference? The latest statement from both universities makes it appear that way. On Monday, UT and OU issued a joint statement explaining that the schools notified their current conference, the Big 12, that they would not be renewing their media rights deal after it expires in 2025. The move is considered the first and significant formal step in the process of departing the Big 12. The statement didn’t name the SEC, but the timing adds up.”

“Just last week, ESPN confirmed that Texas and Oklahoma could make their move to the SEC official in a matter of weeks. But not everybody wants to see this happen. A group of Texas lawmakers recently filed legislation that would prohibit Texas public colleges from switching their affiliations with collegiate athletic conferences without the legislature’s approval” ABC13 Dallas.

12 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

Some Tejas lawmakers want to throw a wrench (doubt this goes anywhere)

“Are the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma another step closer to taking their Red River rivalry to the Southeastern Conference? The latest statement from both universities makes it appear that way. On Monday, UT and OU issued a joint statement explaining that the schools notified their current conference, the Big 12, that they would not be renewing their media rights deal after it expires in 2025. The move is considered the first and significant formal step in the process of departing the Big 12. The statement didn’t name the SEC, but the timing adds up.”

“Just last week, ESPN confirmed that Texas and Oklahoma could make their move to the SEC official in a matter of weeks. But not everybody wants to see this happen. A group of Texas lawmakers recently filed legislation that would prohibit Texas public colleges from switching their affiliations with collegiate athletic conferences without the legislature’s approval” ABC13 Dallas.

"KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SPORTS!!!!"

3 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Big_16.conference.jpg.e49622a085496a2b84060ba7d710caeb.jpg

I can see this happening,  it actually looks better in this map format.  I saw in another forum that without OU and UT that they remaining schools are worth $9mil/year. 

To ESPN, BYU(without looking) is worth something like $5 mil/year or more right?  Plus whatever extra $ BSU added to the MWC(over $1mil?) Then you add populous cities of SDSU and LV. Plus those eastern schools (whatever they are worth). 

Do you think this should push the annual per school to somewhere around $15 million???  

4 minutes ago, UofNPackFan said:

I can see this happening,  it actually looks better in this map format.  I saw in another forum that without OU and UT that they remaining schools are worth $9mil/year. 

To ESPN, BYU(without looking) is worth something like $5 mil/year or more right?  Plus whatever extra $ BSU added to the MWC(over $1mil?) Then you add populous cities of SDSU and LV. Plus those eastern schools (whatever they are worth). 

Do you think this should push the annual per school to somewhere around $15 million???  

#1 NCAA Net Basketball Conference in the Country.

Top 5 Football Conference

Should be worth $15 million a year to somebody.  Apple, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, HBO, Disney (ESPN) & YouTube TV all need content.  Add in Fox/CBS/NBC and you should find a taker somewhere if you are competent leader.

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

We would still have the dead weight that is UNLV.  Maybe they can move to the Big Sky. 

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

We would still have the dead weight that is UNLV.  Maybe they can move to the Big Sky. 

Enjoy us while you've got us.  Someday soon UNLV will be elite and you will be able to say you knew us when we built it all up!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

As much as I hate it.  unlv will always be a step ahead of us in realignment,  unless we win a national championship in football/ basketball or somehow sellout every game, donor money goes up exponentially and become a reason for being wanted it will be our reality. We had all this time since 2005  but never capitalized on momentum.