Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

20 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If there are numerous realignments, it’s very likely the playoff scenarios will also change. If there’s a P4 they may get 8 berths with four wild cards. The wild cards don’t have to be G5 teams. 

There will have to be a sense of fairness otherwise not enough conferences/ will sign off.  We know what the playoff is going to look like at the next stage.  It’s not changing because Oklahoma and Texas are moving conferences lol.

• Facepalm 1

So the reports that OU and UT have informed the Big 12 that they plan to join the SEC are drawing inferences, right? Didn’t they only make the decision not to renew their GOR? Im not saying they haven’t made up their minds, but there is an important distinction between the two. By not “officially” announcing their intentions they still are ostensibly regular Big 12 members; meaning they can vote. I’m guessing the strategy is to wait it out and hope the remaining 8 schools get nervous and seek out ACC/B1G/Pac-12 invites and they can then get the 6 other votes needed to dissolve the conference so they can join the SEC without having to pay anything but their entry fee. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

The only way that Nevada would be hurt is if the B-12 stays intact and takes 4 from the AAC and 3 from the MW. But even then they could become the flag ship of the MW. All other scenarios would benefit Nevada. It is almost assured that the B-12 will go to 16 because they are desperate to stay afloat, vulnerable form all direction and scared. If the B-12 goes west, Nevada will be taken. If they go east the AAC will be vulnerable to being raided by every other conference and probably dissolve leaving the MW as the best of the G-5. If BYU is left out they will be even more on an Island and could go back to the MW along with a remnant of the AAC.

You are forgetting the sunbelt.  They are at a minimum on equal footing to the MWC and have a better trajectory right now.  The aac isn’t dissolving, it’s an espn product.  At the end of realignment they will add the best remaining g5 schools from whatever conference.  They will still be strong at football and basketball even if they lost their top 2-3 programs.  

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Troll 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This isn't coming from me though. This is reliable people like Andy Staples.

The only thing I even leaked about this was USC and UCLA were talking to the B1G last year. That's it. The rest is info from what sports reporters are saying on Twitter.

The pac 12 isn’t changing this go around.  They are just trying to survive; they don’t have the clout to raid anything right now.

20 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If there are numerous realignments, it’s very likely the playoff scenarios will also change. If there’s a P4 they may get 8 berths with four wild cards. The wild cards don’t have to be G5 teams. 

What you said.

Out of hundreds of takes I've read over the last 4-5 days (yeah, I have no life), the best prognostication I've read was someone saying the nB12's football future is likely to be very similar to that of the nBE. That is to say, just like the nBE, the nB12's champion will have an automatic bid to play post-season football against a big boy conference team but the nB12 champion will faire so poorly that the big boys will eventually come up with a plan to push the nB12 out of the autobid bidness.

1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You are forgetting the sunbelt.  They are at a minimum on equal footing to the MWC and have a better trajectory right now.  The aac isn’t dissolving, it’s an espn product.  At the end of realignment they will add the best remaining g5 schools from whatever conference.  They will still be strong at football and basketball even if they lost their top 2-3 programs.  

If the B-12 takes 8 from the AAC that will trigger a clause to renegotiate the ESPN contract and it will surely be nothing since the AAC will only have 3 schools.

8 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So the reports that OU and UT have informed the Big 12 that they plan to join the SEC are drawing inferences, right? Didn’t they only make the decision not to renew their GOR? Im not saying they haven’t made up their minds, but there is an important distinction between the two. By not “officially” announcing their intentions they still are ostensibly regular Big 12 members; meaning they can vote. I’m guessing the strategy is to wait it out and hope the remaining 8 schools get nervous and seek out ACC/B1G/Pac-12 invites and they can then get the 6 other votes needed to dissolve the conference so they can join the SEC without having to pay anything but their entry fee. 

Part of it is because they dont have an actual invite yet, and the SEC hasnt voted yet (and we know A&M is trying to gum up the works).  Basically, they're covering their ass.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

So like climate change hits college football. Between the moves and the courts ruling for players it's massive change. 

I think the 4 mega conference model is the most likely outcome. Not good for those left out or the BCS IMO.

• Like 1

One of the Final Five..........

17 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This isn't coming from me though. This is reliable people like Andy Staples.

The only thing I even leaked about this was USC and UCLA were talking to the B1G last year. That's it. The rest is info from what sports reporters are saying on Twitter.

Just what kind of inside contacts does somebody like Andy Staples, who attended the University of Florida and apparently still lives in Gainesville, have with representatives of a conference whose closest member school is 2K miles away?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Both schools said they were exiting today, so yes.  And no, an article from May doesn’t compute.  No big media sources are picking up on byu.  Espn mentioned Houston Cincy and UCF.  There are other overtures out there and none outside of local wishcasting mention byu.

I guess you have not been looking I've seen BYU as much as any other schools.  After stomped UCF they finish #11 in the polls, they have finished in the top 25 in basketball the last 2 seasons (1 of 2 teams to beat Gonzaga over the last 2 seasons).  BYU finished #17 Learfield Directors' Cup this year, ahead of all Big 12 schools but Texas who finished #1.  I'm not to worried about where BYU stands right now.  They have P5 facilities (brand new locker room and new video boards this year), the end of 2016 Marriott Center Annex was completed, with the swim and dive facility was renovated and reopened in the fall of 2018.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

You were the one pushing Oklahoma State to the Big 10.

Just saying.

image.gif

• Like 2

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

33 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

I couldn't agree more. The players getting endorsements is ridiculous. I was just talking with my brother about how great college football used to be. I liked when I knew who won the national title on New Year's day.

I don't see anything wrong with athletes getting a piece of the pie. They were treated as unpaid cash cows, especially at the big schools, and now they get to cash in. America baby!

• Like 2

Just now, Joe from WY said:

The West Coast may as well be on Mars if you're in Gainesville.

So your answer is, not much.

To the West Coast, Gainesville IS Mars....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

That was before the B1G decided to pass on Kansas and Iowa State. And OSU could still end up there.

Riiight....the non-AAU Oklahoma State.  One of those schools you hate being right about.

Remember?

"I hate being right all the time."

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1419669676485918725?s=19

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Deal with it bitches.

@tailingpermit @Did I hear a WOOSH?

Even if it doesn't take shape I called it. Deal with it. Actually, I'll just block failingpermit. Useless ++++.

and I would almost certainly make sure to quote TP in your threads to completely negate your blockage...

• Haha 1