Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

18 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I think you're gonna be surprised.

You really think the Big !2 is going to drop their Sunday conference play just in invite a private religious school from Utah? LOLZ no.  Big 12 will invite Houston and Cinci and be done with it. 

15 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Next thing ya know, Nevada ends up back with us.  I can hope for that much :ph34r:

Yeah. I have a feeling that this could be the beginning of the end for Nevada football. At least as a top-division football school. 

11 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Not really.

the PAC leftovers would be Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State, Arizona State, And Utah. Perhaps two more or two less. Now they could just add the Big 12 schools and call it a day. Those schools will be Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and the three in Texas. I just don't see it.

With the exception of the 12 team playoff w/6 autobids not passing, every other scenario that involves P5 contraction is a win for the G5.

In fact, every scenario with 6 autobids is a win for every G5 school. Either they get a chance at the playoffs, or more TV money in the P4/5.

15 hours ago, Ibanez said:

If the B1G and PAC actually combine and drop a few schools at least both the AAC and MWC can pick up some quality conference mates.

But I wouldn't be shocked if there are some airport meetings either. Both conferences have some garbage to dispose of.....

True dat. One difference, however, is that - unlike the SEC - academics is important to both conferences.

The B1G's garbage are all members of the prestigious AAU so I think the faculty senate at every school would go ballistic if they kicked anybody out. In contrast, the P12's garbage is WSU and OSU and neither is as highly regarded by USNWR as lowly SDSU. Indeed, if the California legislature was to change its mind about allowing SDSU to award PhDs independent of UCSD and UCD, it wouldn't even be close.

How much sense would the merger of a 14-member B1G with a 10-member P12 make? Then there's the dramatic broadcast income difference between what B1G schools earn compared to P12 schools.

Bottom Line: No way do the B1G and P12 merge except to go to war with the SEC and if the SEC was to poach Clemson, UNC, etc from the ACC, the SEC would smother the Big/Pac

15 hours ago, crossmlk said:

Dennis Dudd is a Missouri douchbag alum who revels in other peoples troubles. If it's something negative, especially about the Big XII he's all over it. What he said might be right might be real reporting but given his record of bias you have to take anything out of his mouth with a grain of salt. 

Fify.

Welcome to the board.

7 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

What are you basing this on?  

Pure speculation on my part. But it's seemed inevitable to me for a long time that the power schools will one day break away. The SEC is going to wield so much power that they might as well be the de facto NCAA, at least in college football. And they don't strike me as particularly interested in keeping the little guys viable. Some of our schools will get the call up with realignment. We aren't going to be one of them. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

West Virginia is meeting with the ACC right now for the third day in a row. I doubt they are talking about spelunking. 

We’ll see, that’s all that can be said.  I’m sure WVU would love to go to the ACC.  Their leadership should be fired if they weren’t trying.  I don’t think there’s much of an appetite for them at the moment.  

9 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Pure speculation on my part. But it's seemed inevitable to me for a long time that the power schools will one day break away. The SEC is going to wield so much power that they might as well be the de facto NCAA, at least in college football. And they don't strike me as particularly interested in keeping the little guys viable. Some of our schools will get the call up with realignment. We aren't going to be one of them. 

I agree that Nevada is not moving up but there will more the enough schools to build viable conferences..Like every school in the MW Nevada has spent a lot of dough on capitol improvements..  I just don't see them shutting it down or dropping down a level.

As for the breakaway schools..That could certainly happen but that still leaves more schools on the outside than in.  I think  conferences will figure this out..If schools break away they will have exactly no say how the other schools operate..

what mainly works for the ACC with WVU is the ease of going to three pods of 5

that makes the scheduling with ND very simple......instead of the situation right now where two divisions with 7 teams and having to work in ND for 5 of those teams and the work it or 5 more and on and on......with three pods of 5 ND simply rotates playing each pod home and home

plus the ACC has to know the issue with "power" alignment with the divisions now and that if Clemson falters they are in trouble for the playoffs.....they have wanted to go to pods, but the Big 10 blocked that when the less than 12 team CCG legislation was passed

how do you get 3 equal pods from 14 teams.....the answer is you don't.....but you do from 15 teams

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

10 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I agree that Nevada is not moving up but there will more the enough schools to build viable conferences..Like every school in the MW Nevada has spent a lot of dough on capitol improvements..  I just don't see them shutting it down or dropping down a level.

As for the breakaway schools..That could certainly happen but that still leaves more schools on the outside than in.  I think  conferences will figure this out..If schools break away they will have exactly no say how the other schools operate..

The remnants of the G5 will almost certainly figure it out. But I am pretty sure what they'll figure out is that they are going to have to operate as a separate division. I just don't think that there will be any interest after consolidation, when the resource gap between whatever becomes of the major conferences and the rest of us becomes even wider, in keeping the smaller FBS schools in the fold. The NCAA is already ceding its position as a centralized governing body, which leaves a conference like the SEC to pull the strings. Not sure how this ends, but pretty sure it doesn't end well for schools like Nevada. (Good column in The Athletic today that seems to support my theory.)

I don't claim to know the future, so I hope I am wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Does USC really care about the Bay schools that much?  UCLA? Sure.  I don't see too much care about Stanford and Cal by USC fans though.  I would guess ND is a bigger rival than Cal or Stanford in their eyes.

As someone who has attended probably three dozen USC games over the years I'll say the only time I can recall the Trojans caring a whit about Stanford was when Harbaugh coached the Cardinal.

Some who are not in the know hold USC football in low regard now because the Trojans haven't challenged for a NC since Pete Carroll left. Nothing could be more wrong since USC football quality goes back to the 1920s.

Has USC spoken with the B1G? Probably. Is there a chance USC could become so dissatisfied with the P12 that it would pull an ND and go indy for football while placing its Olys in another conference (say the nB12) if booted out of the P12? Sure. However, USC to the B1G even for just football isn't going to happen and I suspect these rumors are all designed to allow USC to pull more money out of the P12 broadcast deal.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yeah. I have a feeling that this could be the beginning of the end for Nevada football. At least as a top-division football school. 

Dude, ditch the rain cloud.

• Haha 1

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

The remnants of the G5 will almost certainly figure it out. But I am pretty sure what they'll figure out is that they are going to have to operate as a separate division. I just don't think that there will be any interest after consolidation, when the resource gap between whatever becomes of the major conferences and the rest of us becomes even wider, in keeping the smaller FBS schools in the fold. The NCAA is already ceding its position as a centralized governing body, which leaves a conference like the SEC to pull the strings. Not sure how this ends, but pretty sure it doesn't end well for schools like Nevada. (Good column in The Athletic today that seems to support my theory.)

I don't claim to know the future, so I hope I am wrong.

Isn't there 65 P5 and 65 G5 schools more or less?  There are your 2 divisions of football.  Did anyone see this article in USAToday?  Alabama starting qb up to $1M already.  And G5 schools want to try and keep up with that arms race in football?  The gap is only going to grow.  Let the guys have basically the pro players at P5 played by athletes making hundreds of thousands of dollars,  then the G5 FBS (as it is currently know), then FCS below that.  The MWC/AAC/MAC/Sun Belt/CUSA/independents were already behind the 8 ball, and now you can pay players?  It is time to call it a day and separate, as the OU and Texas move is showing.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2021/07/21/saban-theres-no-precedent-for-the-consequences/47885689/

“I almost feel that anything that I say will probably be wrong because there’s no precedent for the consequences that some of the things that we are creating, even if they’re good opportunities,” the Alabama coach said Wednesday at Southeastern Conference media days. “There’s no precedent for the consequences that some of these things are going to create, whether they’re good or bad."

Saban figures he will have better handle a year from now on the effect of such changes on college football and the players.

Speaking to the Texas High School Coaches Association convention a day earlier, he said new starting quarterback Bryce Young is approaching $1 million in name, images and likeness money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Arizona is AAU and Phenoix is a pro town. 

Going forward into this new phase of College Athletics with the NIL, I would rather have Phoenix (Arizona State).

Won't hurt my feelings if BIG TEN wants Arizona, I am actually good with that.  I think it would be dumb but whatever.