Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 hour ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Not sure of who this guy is or who his source is, but if true…

WVU moving could be nothing but a win-win-win (Big 12 shedding an outlier, WVU joining a conference that is a more natural fit, ACC gets a solid football/bball school that helps balance their geography). Or it could be a straw that breaks the camel’s back that causes some schools to panic and put the full court press on the Pac-12 for invites and effectively kill the Big 12. Maybe they agree to some prolonged wait for full TV deal payouts like the B1G additions had to do 8-10 years ago, who knows.

2 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Oh we know that guy.  Blind squirrel finding a nut comes to mind

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kalua pig said:

if the p4 conspiracy is true, sec is done with 16 teams. acc takes west virginia and notre dame. big10 takes kansas and iowa state. pac12 has 4 picks.

ND isn’t budging from Indy.  They have a path with 6 at large spots in the new CFP format.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

WVU moving could be nothing but a win-win-win (Big 12 shedding an outlier, WVU joining a conference that is a more natural fit, ACC gets a solid football/bball school that helps balance their geography). Or it could be a straw that breaks the camel’s back that causes some schools to panic and put the full court press on the Pac-12 for invites and effectively kill the Big 12. Maybe they agree to some prolonged wait for full TV deal payouts like the B1G additions had to do 8-10 years ago, who knows.

And the remaining Big 12 teams would be up to 215 to 240 million in windfall exit fee money. 

10 hours ago, Headbutt said:

8)  According to one guy reading between the lines.

Maybe, but they all make sense.

Well...number 7 was ME reading between the lines.:P

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, kalua pig said:

if the p4 conspiracy is true, sec is done with 16 teams. acc takes west virginia and notre dame. big10 takes kansas and iowa state. pac12 has 4 picks.

Notre Dame will keep the same agreement, the ACC is fine with it.  It's not a bad arrangement for either party.  I think if ACC has to take anyone, WVU is a good option.  Other only options really available that would make sense would be Cincy (nope) and UConn (they should just stay BE and drop their football from FBS)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Who would win Big-12 or PAC-12 for inviting members?  Who has the better NCAA Tournament Credits and Bowl Games?  Probably PAC-12.

It probably wouldn't make sense to start a whole new conference.  So if PAC-12 had eight schools, who do they add?

The word is 'merger'.

And the Big 12 has more credits historically (last year it was about even, 19 to 18 P12) and better bowls.  The bowls dont matter, though, because bowls get re-do every few years.

CONFERENCE PAYOUTS

Here's a look at how much each of college basketball's biggest conferences have been paid from 1997 to 2018:

— Big Ten: $340.4 million.

— Atlantic Coast: $316.3 million.

— Big 12: $307.3 million.

— Southeastern: $266.4 million.

— Pac-12: $247.7 million.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

6 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

The word to describe MHver3 is 'notorious'.

Nice though it would be (for me and my compatriots, anyways), there is no way it plays out that way.  Adding TCU AND Baylor to Wake Forest just isnt going to happen.

The California schools leaving the Pac is SDSUs wet dream.  Without them, they need a California presence and we are head and shoulders above any other schools.  Plus without the California snobbery BYU likely gets an invite.   It would a huge upgrade over the original MWC before all the WAC crap was added.  

28 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Waiting for the B1G to raid the PAC-12 now. USC has talked to the B1G off and on for almost two years. And now, more and more chatter is happening about the possibility. USC, UCLA, Oregon, And Colorado had conversations with the BIG over the weekend. Washington and Arizona goes with them to make a 20 team B1G.

West Virginia and Notre Dame to the ACC with perhaps Kansas, Iowa State, TCU, and Baylor to make a 20 team ACC.

So unless the B1G only takes 4 PAC schools, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State plus the remaining PAC schools get left out.

Too much chatter going on about it right now. Perhaps enough Universities will ban together and get Congress involved.

As a lifelong viewer of the Big Ten, if they take PAC teams, that will be extremely disappointing.  I hope they keep the already bastardized footprint of predominantly midwest major universities.  Regionality is a good thing.  Sucks how the money created this monster.

10 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

The California schools leaving the Pac is SDSUs wet dream.  Without them, they need a California presence and we are head and shoulders above any other schools.  Plus without the California snobbery BYU likely gets an invite.   It would a huge upgrade over the original MWC before all the WAC crap was added.  

Stanford and Cal would still likely be in the PAC-12.

It all depends on whether both the PAC-12 and Big-12 could co-exist at that point, which is what we would want to happen!

We want Big-12 and PAC-12 to be fighting as they both have to add additional members.

37 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Waiting for the B1G to raid the PAC-12 now. USC has talked to the B1G off and on for almost two years. And now, more and more chatter is happening about the possibility. USC, UCLA, Oregon, And Colorado had conversations with the BIG over the weekend. Washington and Arizona goes with them to make a 20 team B1G.

West Virginia and Notre Dame to the ACC with perhaps Kansas, Iowa State, TCU, and Baylor to make a 20 team ACC.

So unless the B1G only takes 4 PAC schools, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State plus the remaining PAC schools get left out.

Too much chatter going on about it right now. Perhaps enough Universities will ban together and get Congress involved.

They would be making a mistake with Arizona over Arizona State.  But I am ok with that, I would rather them leave Arizona State behind for us.

I am not convinced that all PAC-12 leftovers would want to combine with all Big 12 leftovers.

I am hopeful that if PAC-12 is raided by BIG that the PAC-12 and Big 12 are both able to stay alive and exist.  This way they both have to backfill.

Just now, Ibanez said:

Here is another thought. USC may not wanna leave Cal and Stanford behind and if these power conferences work together perhaps Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State join Notre Dame, West Virginia and one more to the ACC. That frees up more room in the BIG.

Does USC really care about the Bay schools that much?  UCLA? Sure.  I don't see too much care about Stanford and Cal by USC fans though.  I would guess ND is a bigger rival than Cal or Stanford in their eyes.

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Here is another thought. USC may not wanna leave Cal and Stanford behind and if these power conferences work together perhaps Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State join Notre Dame, West Virginia and one more to the ACC. That frees up more room in the BIG.

just stop.  If USC has been talking to the Big 10 - and that was a given before you mentioned it, because the big schools are always talking - then they already dont care if they leave the Bay Area schools behind,

40 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This or some similar iteration is how K-State and some others I might add get thrown to the side. If it comes to that I'm looking on the positive side. We'll no longer have Texas and their lapdog Oklahoma to deal with. I'm so done with the bullshit and throwing away relationships that have been built up over 80 to 100 years. Time to seek stability and start new relationships with hopefully less fickle institutions. 

I wonder if USC and/or Stanford joined the Big Ten if that would potentially entice Notre Dame?

They could then drop Nebraska citing their lack of AAU membership.

So many potential scenarios, it’s going to be a crazy time ahead. Hopefully we all end up in a better place, but I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Doubt it.

What do you doubt?  USC is a national brand, ND is a national brand.  They care about UCLA because it's in town.  Cal or Stanford?  My Trojan buddies don't really talk about them.  Seems like just another conference game unless one of them is really good like Stanford was a decade ago.