Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

9 minutes ago, RSF said:

Nope, not the same.  Academics aside, Tech is a large school in a large state, and the Big 10 also has a much higher financial bar than the P12.  Both Okie St and Tech has a much better chance of finagling a P12 spot than the B10 (0%).  Lest we forget, both of them were part of the failed P16 attempt.  Yes, being dragged along by UT and OU, but still there.

But as remember that is the very main reason the whole thing failed the Pac wanted neither of them.

Just now, e-zone99 said:

But as remember that is the very main reason the whole thing failed.

The whole thing failed because UT decided they didnt want to give up LHN.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

OK, just joined the forum to talk about this and I'm not sure if you all have previously discussed. A lot of the speculation I've seen from the so-called experts has K-State going to the MWC. My question is do you all have any interest in seeing K-State in the MWC? And if so, what would the conference end up looking like?

4 minutes ago, crossmlk said:

OK, just joined the forum to talk about this and I'm not sure if you all have previously discussed. A lot of the speculation I've seen from the so-called experts has K-State going to the MWC. My question is do you all have any interest in seeing K-State in the MWC? And if so, what would the conference end up looking like?

Welcome to the board..I saw some speculation about K-State to the MW on CBS.  I think you would be a great add.  We currently have two schools in  Colorado and one in New Mexico.  Maybe the MW could get Tulsa too.  If we didn't lose anyone it would be a 14 schools for football and I would love to get K-State basketball.   And maybe get Wichita State for basketball too..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

Sadly I agree that SDSU could be left out of both the Big 12 and Pac.  If I didn't feel the Big 12 will want to take from both the AAC and MWC to create more separation from both the AAC and the MWC.  I would say the smart move by the Big 12 is to go West,  Another problem is who would be the 4th school after BYU, Boise St, and SDSU.  If Colorado St  (likely the 4th) or New Mexico would get to a respectable level again it would be much more likely for Big 12 to feel that would be a good to great option.  Much easier TV time slots to find going West than going East and competing against the SEC, Big 10, and ACC for those TV time slots.

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The rumor several years ago when the B12 was considering expansion was they were inclined to look east only. Without the income from OU and UT, B12 schools will have significantly less $$ for long distance travel by their Oly teams.

Ergo, assuming OU and UT leave, the B12 leftovers can be expected to look only east to backfill. Only way I see BYU and particularly Boise being offered is if ESPN steps in with a lot of money. View it from that perspective and this could be the most important football season in Boise history.

I find it interesting that the B1G , according to all the people who say they know, is looking west in order to create a conference to literally stretches from coast to coast but that same strategy is somehow not workable for the B12.  Going to a 16 team configuration with pods could work.  Adding four teams out west and 4 teams out east gives the conference visibility nation wide and product to offer the TV/over the top folks in every time slot. Don't want to get into making lists but between the AAC, MWC and BYU, it seems doable.  One thing I think is certain, without UT and OU, remaining a Texas-centric conference isn't sustainable.

Whatever the other conferences decide, the only conference that could pretend to be level with the SEC would be the B1G. Everyone else is going to need and marketing pitch/gimmick or strong, generous boosters.  If your decision tree contains things like competitiveness, facilities, market, location, student population and name recognition, the candidates reveal themselves.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, Coog kev said:

It was Cincinnati and Houston as the 2 finalists back then.  However I do not think any school was technically voted upon.  The final decision was Expand or Not.  We all know how that turned up....Not.

And will be again I suspect.

1 hour ago, RebelAlliance said:

No.  I think Nebraska using this as an opportunity to get away from the Big Ten is somewhat plausible.

And while I don't think the B10 would kick Nebraska out over AAU status, that doesn't mean that they are looking to take any schools without AAU membership (OK State) or very tenuous membership (KU)

I could be wrong, but I just don't see an institution as arrogant as the Big Ten (and believe me, they are University of California system arrogant) taking the sloppy leftovers of the Big 12 that the SEC left behind, especially since they view the SEC as a bunch of football obsessed mediocrities.

there is nothing tenuous about the KU membership in the AAU

Missouri and Oregon would be in a lot worse situation than KU

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

I was raised on the Mountaineers and would love to see them in the ACC. It would make sense geographically and restoring old rivalries with Pitt and VA Tech would be great for us fans. B) 

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-realignment-West-Virginia-ACC-Notre-Dame-athletic-director-Jack-Swarbrick-168244723/

image.jpeg.0670cf90627cd6891cafd3543a2c8502.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Someone said:

there is nothing tenuous about the KU membership in the AAU

Missouri and Oregon would be in a lot worse situation than KU

Don't disagree about Missouri and Oregon, but KU is in the same position.  They're hanging on by a thread, and the morning that Harvard, Chicago and Princeton wake up with an urge to Cleveland Steamer some public university somewhere they'd better watch out.  

41 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

But as remember that is the very main reason the whole thing failed the Pac wanted neither of them.

this is completely untrue

it failed for two reasons

1. the original 6 were Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, OU, OkState, CU

then A&M said no way they were not going west no matter what so at that point UT decided they were not going to go west if A&M didn't because of the recruiting issues knowing that A&M would attempt to get in the SEC and most likely would

2. Then when it looked like there might be a chance the LHN came into play and Texas realized that they were looking at $15 million over 20 years and they said that was happening no matter what and the PAC 10 needed to accept that or things were not going to work out

• Like 1

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

2 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

Don't disagree about Missouri and Oregon, but KU is in the same position.  They're hanging on by a thread, and the morning that Harvard, Chicago and Princeton wake up with an urge to Cleveland Steamer some public university somewhere they'd better watch out.  

they are not close to hanging on by a thread and it takes a lot more than 3 schools to remove a member

the criteria for membership is a lot more than just straight comparisons between universities they take a lot of factors into play and they "normalize" a lot of other factors

1 minute ago, Someone said:

they are not close to hanging on by a thread and it takes a lot more than 3 schools to remove a member

the criteria for membership is a lot more than just straight comparisons between universities they take a lot of factors into play and they "normalize" a lot of other factors

Agree with the second paragraph, but if you want to list the bottom five publics in the AAU, Kansas is absolutely in that group: Kansas, Oregon, Mizzou and two SUNY schools to be named.  Name me other publics that are weaker than KU?

Also, the Harvard-Chicago-Princeton thing was kind of a joke.  To be more literal, when the true powers in the AAU--public and private--decide it's time to cull the herd, then KU had better sleep with one eye open.  

33 minutes ago, crossmlk said:

There is no way you should want K State going the MWC, they would be giving up the exit fees of Texas and OU ($76 million each or $152 million).  Also their GOR (Big 12 owns them till 2025), Bowl tie-ins (2025), all the NCAA basketball credits (Texas and OU will forfeit their rights to them when the leave the Big 12), and Big 12's media contract runs though 2025 *even if it is reworked it would still way more than what the MWC or AAC will pay.  Schools will coming to the Big 12, to make a best of rest (add BYU, Boise St, Cincinnati, and Houston or UCF and go to 12) while adding even more separation between the Big 12  and AAC/MWC.

40 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I find it interesting that the B1G , according to all the people who say they know, is looking west in order to create a conference to literally stretches from coast to coast but that same strategy is somehow not workable for the B12.  Going to a 16 team configuration with pods could work.  Adding four teams out west and 4 teams out east gives the conference visibility nation wide and product to offer the TV/over the top folks in every time slot. Don't want to get into making lists but between the AAC, MWC and BYU, it seems doable.  One thing I think is certain, without UT and OU, remaining a Texas-centric conference isn't sustainable.

Whatever the other conferences decide, the only conference that could pretend to be level with the SEC would be the B1G. Everyone else is going to need and marketing pitch/gimmick or strong, generous boosters.  If your decision tree contains things like competitiveness, facilities, market, location, student population and name recognition, the candidates reveal themselves.

Could help myself.... like the Blue of Boise St.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:49 PM, azgreg said:

OK, just hear me out here. There are 128 teams in division 1 football. Let's make it 64 in 1A and 64 in 1B. 8 conferences (4 in 1A and 4 in 1B) with 16 teams each. Each has their own championship. Conference final for qtrs then conference champs to the semi finals. Here's the kicker. Each 1A conference has a 1B partner and utilize a 2 team re-classification. Top two teams from 1B move up to 1A the following season and the 2 bottom teams from 1A move down the following season.

There's a lot more than that in Division I. You must mean the FBS subset of Division I.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

Agree with the second paragraph, but if you want to list the bottom five publics in the AAU, Kansas is absolutely in that group: Kansas, Oregon, Mizzou and two SUNY schools to be named.  Name me other publics that are weaker than KU?

Also, the Harvard-Chicago-Princeton thing was kind of a joke.  To be more literal, when the true powers in the AAU--public and private--decide it's time to cull the herd, then KU had better sleep with one eye open.  

the comparison you are trying to make is not how the AAU makes their evaluations

you would have to have an amount of data that is generally not published in a straight forward way to make a comparison the way the AAU does

you would need to know competitively awarded research and research in life sciences and engineering vs the common "total research" metric

you would need to know what portion is from a medical school that is a part of a university and use that or exclude that depending on if you are comparing to other universities with or without medical schools

you need to know research dollars per faculty member and again competitively awarded

most of that can be found in some places, but possibly not always in a comparable format because it would be coming from a university and not complied equally between  all universes.....the AAU gets that information in the proper format and then uses their metrics of comparison