Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

16 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

The PAC12 is in a precarious position right now, as is every other conference not named the SEC. 

Adding anyone simply for the sake of adding schools could push USC and maybe one or two other PAC12 schools out the door. 

I cant see the PAC12 adding anyone. I think the PAC12 needs to offer up its larger players USC, UCLA, Oregon and UW a bigger piece of the conference revenue pie in order to retain them and avoid what just happened in the B12

Personally, what would make the most sense is the BIG to expand West and take 8 of the PAC-12. Getting USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington and three from Cal, Utah, Arizona and Colorado. This would require the current BIG to purge four teams to create a 16 team conference with 4 divisions. They add the LA market, Bay Area, Seattle and most of Oregon and whatever they decide for the final 3 teams. They could go to ten and bring in ASU which doesn't have a great academic standing but brings in the Phoenix TV market (#11 in the nation). That way they can stay put in their original form and create a 20 team conference with four divisions. Either gets rid of OSU and WSU which are two of the least successful programs.

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, southfresno said:

Because there are other schools whom you favor? I really don't see the big 12 going west. 

I think the Pac-12 survives. If they get gutted then what we will have ZERO western conferences that survive? That doesn't seem like a good plan for college football. You are just going to have 25% of the USA population base without a top level conference? 

BUT if the SEC takes Ok/Texas to me there are not really many major moves left.

-Notre Dame joining a conference. The ACC has inside track but if the Big-10 forks over enough money (didn't Notre Dame basically commit to joining the ACC if they join a conference within the next 10 years or so) they could grab them. And honestly if Notre Dame does join a conference I think the Big-10 makes more sense than the ACC.

-The Big-4 gobbling up the Big-12 leftovers. However non of this moves the needle in my mind. Do any of those teams actually provide a real increase to tv revenue. I don't think so, so not sure why the ACC/SEC/Big-10/Pac-12 would even take any of them.  Unless it was a case of getting to a round number. Ie if Notre Dame joins a conference that conference needs to add another school. 

-Someone raiding a Big-4 conference. I think the Big-10 and Sec are the only conferences that have the power to do this. SEC gets Ok/Texas not sure if they want to expand more. So that leaves the Big-10. Do they try to raid the ACC? Or do they want into a western market. I mean adding USC/UCLA or even USC/UCLA/Washington/Oregon would move the needle a bit. I don't think it will happen but it doesn't sound impossible. 

9 minutes ago, southfresno said:

Not gonna happen. 

Here are my opinions'

West Virginia may have some appeal to the ACC should they choose to expand

Notre Dame will need to get off the fence. Do they fully commit to the ACC or are they part of a potential B1G expansion? What ND does I think will greatly impact the Pac.

Kansas has no value to anyone outside of the B12. None of this has anything to do with Basketball

Washington and Oregon seem like more natural fits in the B1G than USC and UCLA

OK ST, other than the aforementioned WV is the only other B12 squad with potential mobility, and that would be to an expanded Pac

If the Pac loses a couple of teams to the B1G, expect the B12 to pick up the Arizona schools

If after all is said and done, SDSU doesn't end up in the Pac or B12, whatever they look like, the new stadium scheme will have been a giant waste, saddling the athletic department with a crushing debt.

SDSU ending up in a depleted Pac, minus SC/UCLA  would be best case scenario for us

Most of this is incoherent and much of it contradictory...I'm just trying to figure out how this all shakes out. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

In related news, @mugtang is looking into whether or not he can void the sale of the MWCboard. 

rolling+in+money.JPG

(pic of mugtang during the last Conference Realignment round)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Dirtball said:

Please God let usc and ucla along with 2 to 4 others go to the Big Ten.

Big Ten takes the elite PAC-12 teams, we end up with this!

Dream Conference Time!

UNLV/UNR

Arizona/Arizona State

California/San Diego State

Utah/BYU

Boise State/Oregon State

Washington State

Hawaii (Football Only)

Gonzaga (All Sports but Football)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ibanez said:

(1) Kansas to the B1G is imminent. (2) Iowa State looks to be voted down. (3) The B1G is looking at Oklahoma State and  how they can make it happen even though OSU is not AAU.

1. That's going a bit far

2. Not just looks to be

3. No way

16 hours ago, Billings said:

too extreme for round 1 of the split.  Step one is a P4 with most of Big 12 finding a chair.  Then it gets ugly for the current P6 teams and the cream rises and separates.  I doubt any G5 teams get picked up if the B12 dies here.  TCU and Baylor may be in real trouble and have a tough time finding a chair.  My take from the couch

And as usual, your take is a good one.

TCU already got left behind when the B12 was created. Baylor? Baylor only became a member of the B12 because Ann Richards threw a hissy fit. Since she's no longer in the picture and Baylor's reputation for morality is now as low as it gets while its reputation for hypocrisy is now as high as it gets, the Bears better hope the B12 remains in existence or they'll join the rest of us losers in the Molehill Worst.

But the B12 isn't going to die, at least not yet. For one thing, the leftovers are going to get a Ft. Knox amount of money as the result of current members departing. Someone smarter than me opined the new B12 will look a lot like the old Big East and I think that's accurate. What he didn't say is it will suffer essentially the same fate in being a very good basketball conference (provided it adds the likes of SDSU and BYU) but a mediocre football conference which eventually just doesn't matter nationally.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, azgreg said:

It's my understanding that if ND decides to join a conference prior to 2036 they're contractually obligated to the ACC.

Notre Dame can just do a scheduling agreement with whoever they want.  Not the same as joining.  Just call it something else.  SCHEDULING AGREEMENT.

Plus, none of these schools or conference have the time or money to sue in court for what would take years to stop a University from moving wherever they want.  If a school wants to leave they can leave, nobody can stop them and it would take years in court to do so which nobody would do fighting a school that wants to be somewhere else.

If you are married and your spouse wants a divorce, no contract is going to stop it.  You can fight but you will lose.

1 minute ago, Brew_Poke said:

They would already have their rival Nebraska there.

+1

Not only will USC or UCLA to the B1G be implausible without "beam me up, Scotty" technology, neither school has a rivalry with any current B1G member. Not so of Colorado which has already gone from the Big 8 to the Big 12 to the Pac 12 thereby being about as faithful to its peers as Donald Trump has been to his wives.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

+1

Not only will USC or UCLA to the B1G be implausible without "beam me up, Scotty" technology, neither school has a rivalry with any current B1G member. Not so of Colorado which has already gone from the Big 8 to the Big 12 to the Pac 12 thereby being about as faithful to its peers as Donald Trump has been to his wives.

BIG TEN will want to do a Pacific Wing:

USC/UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington and maybe Arizona State and/or Colorado.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Notre Dame can just do a scheduling agreement with whoever they want.  Not the same as joining.  Just call it something else.  SCHEDULING AGREEMENT.

Plus, none of these schools or conference have the time or money to sue in court for what would take years to stop a University from moving wherever they want.  If a school wants to leave they can leave, nobody can stop them and it would take years in court to do so which nobody would do fighting a school that wants to be somewhere else.

If you are married and your spouse wants a divorce, no contract is going to stop it.  You can fight but you will lose.

ND and the ACC have that agreement until 2036

and there have been many lawsuits over breaking contracts for conference membership the past one being the ACC vs Maryland where Maryland had to pay $36.5 million

there are probably about to be a lot more

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

6 minutes ago, Someone said:

ND and the ACC have that agreement until 2036

and there have been many lawsuits over breaking contracts for conference membership the past one being the ACC vs Maryland where Maryland had to pay $36.5 million

there are probably about to be a lot more

Notre Dame doesn't care.  They will do whatever they want and fight it out in court later.  These agreements mean nothing.  They will just get negotiated down later in court to a settlement.  Nobody can stop anybody from moving where and when they want to move.  I don't care what your contract says.

Contracts are made to be broken.  Welcome to america

16 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

If a school wants to leave they can leave, nobody can stop them and it would take years in court to do so which nobody would do fighting a school that wants to be somewhere else.

You may lose the war but you can win a battle before you do. IIRC, the ACC got $31 million plus attorney's fees out of Maryland.

4 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

+1

Again, you take eight of the Pac-12 to have a western division. Purge four from the BIG. You end up with markets in LA, Bay Area, Most of Oregon, Seattle and then, potentially, Denver, SLC or Tucson. The Pac-12 and BIG have had a relationship via the Rose Bowl going back decades.

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

You may lose the war but you can win a battle before you do. IIRC, the ACC got $31 million plus attorney's fees out of Maryland.

Hate to break the news to you but Maryland won in the end.  $31 million is pocket change when looking at the next 100 years

• Like 1