Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

3 hours ago, HeyReb89 said:

that's deep thinking........I'm usually smoking to come to insights and conclusions of this magnitude 

Well, it was Friday night and I had a freshly tapped keg of Korbinian (until last week impossible to get during covid) in the kegerator and was feelin' fine.  That said I stand by all my prognostications!  :cheers:

1 minute ago, Billings said:

Anyone else feeling we are watching the birth of the P4 and the end of the B12.

The end of the Big XII as a power conference anyway.  It could be a slow suffocating death lasting until 2025.

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

The end of the Big XII as a power conference anyway.  It'll be a slow suffocatiing death lasting until 2025.

the BE wrote the script for how this goes down.

• Cheers 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

21 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Don't rain on my parade man. As far as Arizona we're a top 100 ranked university with top notch medical and astronomy programs. The Richard F. Caris Mirror Lab is located under the east side of the football stadium.

OIP.L-djzQieRTaQBXBJbFShYQHaE8?pid=ImgDe

84m-mirror-in-work.jpg

I never intended to do so.  Apologies.  I just thought your sports idea was a bit Out There.  Arizona will always be fine and well in whatever Arizona wants to do.  Sidebar: just off the horn with my lofty Oklahoma State cousin and while she's extremely less than happy about all This, she can handle a PAC invite with others despite the Saturday football west coast time differential.  She and I yammered about that much.  The time zone shift away from EST and CST.  No XII does that yet.  Yahoo for that..at midnight CST Oklahoma State knocks off Arizona on the PAC network for an 8p. local kickoff in Tucson.  Jest sayin. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

1 minute ago, Coog kev said:

I never intended to do so.  Apologies.  I just thought your sports idea was a bit Out There.  Arizona will always be fine and well in whatever Arizona wants to do.  Sidebar: just off the horn with my lofty Oklahoma State cousin and while she's extremely less than happy about all This, she can handle a PAC invite with others despite the Saturday football west coast time differential.  She and I yammered about that much.  The time zone shift away from EST and CST.  No XII does that yet.  Yahoo for that..at midnight CST Oklahoma State knocks off Arizona on the PAC network for an 8p. local kickoff in Tucson.  Jest sayin. 

My preference is if the PAC expands it does so with teams on the West coast. I don't think we should reach past the Rockies.

• Like 2

People, not a fan.

15 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

this might already be here, but just thought it was interesting..

Just effing do that and get it over with.

Or to get serious for just a moment.

1. Sever football from all other sports and have conferences put together solely for football which are under the auspices of somebody besides the NCAA.

2. Prohibit football schools from using football revenue to subsidize any other sports.

3. Exception: Football revenue CAN be used to subsidize women's sports in order to comply with Title IX.

4. If that works out and the NIL thing results in the big boys still dominating men's hoops, sever that sport out into separate conferences too.

5. Put some teeth - no testicles - into the NCAA so men's hoops, baseball, et al don't wind up like football has.

Just now, azgreg said:

My preference is if the PAC expands it does so with teams on the West coast. I don't think we should reach past the Rockies.

It might be your preference but I think this would be a mistake.  The PAC teams could use Central time zone start times to get more eyeballs on their programs and reach more recruits.

5 minutes ago, azgreg said:

So many of us in CST and EST are used to Saturday 11a. kickoffs, followed by the 2;30p. games and on to prime time.  IF PAC wants to venture east it will matter.  A Saturday morning at 9a. kick off time local PAC is just not gonna happen competing with the heavily weighted programming in CST and EST normal.  When Notre Dame ventures west for its annuals with both USC and Stanford, it's always conventional time CST and EST. Mostly Saturday prime time or the afternoon slot at worse.

However, there is a wonderful new landscape unfolding quickly.  Thursday night and Friday night college ball good games to enjoy.  That's like 5p. in PAC land or 8p. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Is this fun? Does this kind of stuff make CFB better?  I say no.  We want to root for the school we went to and root against our rivals.  That's what makes college sports fun. Regionality.  It's OUR's.   This money grab, nationalization, politics, mercenary, quasi-pro, corporatization stuff is a turn-off.    

College football and basketball has really become an unlikable monster.  I'm kinda sad about it. 

• Like 5
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea I’m thinking along the same lines; in the other thread I said I think they may add Tech, Ok St, and K State to get the ball rolling. But I could see them holding off on K State pending what KU does; maybe they only want K State if KU is coming, otherwise they add TCU and Houston. 

My guess is The PAC takes Houston and Oklahoma State and calls it a day

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

59 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I am thinking the SEC is gonna raid the ACC (Most of the best teams) and the B1G are gonna take the northern part of the ACC's best teams and the best PAC-12 schools. Then split off.

too extreme for round 1 of the split.  Step one is a P4 with most of Big 12 finding a chair.  Then it gets ugly for the current P6 teams and the cream rises and separates.  I doubt any G5 teams get picked up if the B12 dies here.  TCU and Baylor may be in real trouble and have a tough time finding a chair.  My take from the couch

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

My guess is The PAC takes Houston and Oklahoma State and calls it a day

The PAC12 is in a precarious position right now, as is every other conference not named the SEC. 

Adding anyone simply for the sake of adding schools could push USC and maybe one or two other PAC12 schools out the door. 

I cant see the PAC12 adding anyone. I think the PAC12 needs to offer up its larger players USC, UCLA, Oregon and UW a bigger piece of the conference revenue pie in order to retain them and avoid what just happened in the B12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

How?  They are so isolated that it gives them a lot of stability.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/Mike-Bohn-USC-AD-Pac-12-financial-struggles-Larry-Scott-independent-leave-conference-144248076/

well here is the USC AD saying that "nothing is off the table" as far as PAC 12 future revenue sharing or as far as switching conferences and that was from months ago.

not to mention all the tweets (yes IK twitter) talking about PAC 12 teams and the Big 10 talking specifically USC and UCLA and probably wanting two others with them

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

In a 12-team system, automatic bids would go to six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. The other six spots would be filled by at-large teams.Jun 18, 2021

So if this is the case...This could help the MW.

If the B12 implodes..One less conference..If they poach the AAC of their top schools that really improves the chances of the MW champ in the top 6.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wolf from 73 said:

If the Big 12 is cherry picked anything can happen but if it stays intact one of these three will happen. Most likely they go east and raid the top 8 from the AAC but they already have 3 schools in Texas. So if you eliminate the 2 AAC Texas schools west might look better. Possible they go west and raid the top 7 from the MWC along with BYU or least likely they create the Best Of the Rest. Taking the top 4 from the AAC top 3 from the MWC along with BYU. That seems crazy and would create a continental conference.

The last choice is best especially it it takes my two schools. Namely San Diego State and Cincinnati.  However I think they will go east first and then west for SDSU and Boise or BYU.

Frankly I believe the BIG may get screwed if it takes Kansas and Iowa State and it follows that oft discussed possibility.  I think they should take Clemson and Florida St. if they can get them. I also think there is an outside chance that USC and Stanford OR UCLA may go to the BIG.  Please note I said outside chance.

52 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Kansas to the B1G is imminent. Iowa State looks to be voted down. The B1G is looking at Oklahoma State and  how they can make it happen even though OSU is not AAU.

West Virginia getting a look at the ACC who would go with 15 teams under the assumption they don't need to split into divisions.

Kansas doesn’t belong in a power conference.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

In a 12-team system, automatic bids would go to six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. The other six spots would be filled by at-large teams.Jun 18, 2021

So if this is the case...This could help the MW.

If the B12 implodes..One less conference..If they poach the AAC of their top schools that really improves the chances of the MW champ in the top 6.

Whatever happens with all this, they will surely change the rules regarding playoff entrants. A crap ass MW isn't going to benefit.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1