Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/07/23/new-pac-12-commissioner-george-kliavkoff-talks-realignment-if-the-big-12-folds-cfp-expansion-media-strategy-in-wide-ranging-interview/

New Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff talks realignment (if the Big 12 folds), CFP expansion, media strategy in wide-ranging interview
If Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12, the Pac-12 would “listen” to teams seeking a new home.

RYlsqvqI?format=jpg&name=small

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I still wonder if Texas, who has constantly talked about how their AAU standing was important and constantly shit on the SEC is doing this to get the B1G to 1- invite them and 2- give them a better deal like maybe letting them keep the Longhorn Network? 

Being from SEC Country. I know that Texas in the SEC makes no damn sense.

Also, the B1G really can't afford to let this happen. They have to at least come close to the two teams they add. Or four or six. This is not only about power, this effects recruiting and TV money, Kickoff times, Tourney selection....It's big. They need to talk to Notre Dame about their contract with the ACC and talk to ACC teams about the GOR. It's tricky.

Then there is the PAC-12 angle. 18:10 on this video. Don't know who these guys are but this 38 Special / Boston fan nails it. They are an Indiana Hoosiers Podcast.

https://youtu.be/hW9Pp1ej8Pk

You say they “have” to come close, but when the SEC added A&M and Mizzou they most definitely didn’t “come close” by responding with Maryland and Rutgers. 

On 7/21/2021 at 9:25 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Honestly I think the B1G just takes the low hanging fruit rather then mess with the ACC GOR or add a West Coast school. I mean, they fcking added Rutgers once upon a time, so I don’t see why adding Iowa’s instate rival would be beneath them. Leaving academics out, WVU would actually be a good addition as far as athletic programs and location go. 

Every single B1G school is an AAU member. The arrogance of the B1G will not allow them to add a non-AAU member. That means Iowa State and Kansas. Those are the only options unless they poach CU.

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Just found out the PAC-12 talked with Iowa State, Texas Tech, Kansas, and Oklahoma State today. Baylor, TCU, and K-State are in trouble.

Those are good schools to target, but they have to know the second the B1G calls Kansas or ISU they will stop returning the Pac-12’s phone calls.

6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Just found out the PAC-12 talked with Iowa State, Texas Tech, Kansas, and Oklahoma State today. Baylor, TCU, and K-State are in trouble.

well Iowa State and Kansas fit academically.

Just now, Ibanez said:

I was joking  Greg Swaim reported on it. I don't trust him.

In the world of realignment, any scenario seems possible anymore

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I wonder if him being from Baylor will help us in any way?

It won’t hurt. And I know for a fact that he’s working his connections to get the best possible situation for the Broncos. I would be astounded if Dickey is not working to get a BSU, CSU and SDSU western wing with maybe BYU as well. We know SDSU would have interest and CSU is a no brainer. BYU is always a mystery. 

12 minutes ago, DarkwingBronco said:

Every single B1G school is an AAU member. The arrogance of the B1G will not allow them to add a non-AAU member. That means Iowa State and Kansas. Those are the only options.

that used to be true except Nebraska got booted out in 2011

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

You don't have to argue it dude.  It is disgraceful that SDSU is not in the PAC-12 and if they were they would be a god damn giant!

One day I hope to see it.

That UNLV & SDSU have to sit here and listen to nonsense about Lubbock Texas or Ames Iowa stealing our rightful spots in the PAC-12 is a god damn unrighteous blasphemy!

maybe SDSU should concentrate on being a giant in the MWC (you know learn to walk before you try to run)

• Like 1

They are going to sue them.  Conference can't go behind the back of one of their own university's and offer expansion slots to schools without informing their own Presidents/Chancellors.  Texas A&M should sue them.  I would be pissed if MWC did that to us.

Imagine if Craig Thompson spent a year with BYU plotting and planning and never even told the MWC Board of Directors.

4 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

They are going to sue them.  Conference can't go behind the back of one of their own university's and offer expansion slots to schools without informing their own Presidents/Chancellors.  Texas A&M should sue them.  I would be pissed if MWC did that to us.

Imagine if Craig Thompson spent a year with BYU plotting and planning and never even told the MWC Board of Directors.

Sue on what grounds..?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

I am more apt to believe a p2 conspiracy.  BIG/SEC leaving and taking a few big boys with them.

I will go one step further.  This is the begining of a complete remaking of college sports at the highest level.

This whole thing is going to eventually end up being 32 to 48 teams breaking away completely.

I can even imagine a day when the athletes have nothing to do with the university.  One hundred percent paid professional athletes.  These will be professional teams that will break from their respective universities and then pay the university for the use of their sports team name, mascot and facilities.  They will field the sports they want to.  They will not have to worry about player academic eligibility.  They will not have to comply with Title XII.  These sports teams will be a revenue source for the university and operate as a separate entity/subsidiary.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Yep. I still think the B1G is gonna go after the PAC -12. I also think TCU, Baylor, K-State, and West Virginia are pretty much screwed. There are a few schools I have love for ( Lack of better word) like Washington State, Oregon State, Wyoming, Fresno, and TCU. I'd hate for them to get left out or pushed to the side.

Remember how Boise State balked at the huge travel problems involved in sending its olympic sports on the road to the Big East schools? Imagine the Pac schools sending women’s volleyball to State College PA. The geography has me doubting a B1G move on the PAC.

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

But their bank account is way more significant. And they really need to do something impressive. USC is feeling really lonely right now.

USC could help themselves by winning. They’re just a decent school looking up at Oregon and Washington. They wouldn’t be so lonely if they got better! :-)

56 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

that used to be true except Nebraska got booted out in 2011

That was a semi-technicality.  Nebraska was apparently relying on stuff that was being done in Omaha, not on the Lincoln campus.  But rules are rules, I guess.