Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

I am hoping good things happen for Memphis this time around and I think they will.  Cincy also deserves a break.

I hope BYU gets shanked, shafted, mocked and left for dead right where they are.

UNLV and SDSU are heavyweights waiting to get our shot in primetime.  Once we do we won't be stopped.

UNLV a heavyweight? Come on man. I get why the PAC 12 would want to add Las Vegas with the great city, new Raiders stadium, easy to get to etc., the only draw back would be having to take UNLV.  Commuter school with not very good basketball and a football program that can’t beat their meat. 

13 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Pac 12 still needs to buy in to expanding, but it's not looking good for any G5 teams' hopes for moving up a notch in the totem pole right now.

If the PAC-12 thinks that Stillwater, Lubbock and Fort Worthless are the answers to their long term problems, they are in for a world of hurt!

PAC-12 adds those schools and the conference is doomed.  I would be absolutely shocked.

• Like 1

Just now, wyo 1 said:

UNLV a heavyweight? Come on man. I get why the PAC 12 would want to add Las Vegas with the great city, new Raiders stadium, easy to get to etc., the only draw back would be having to take UNLV.  Commuter school with not very good basketball and a football program that can’t beat their meat. 

You are free to believe whatever you want.  I know the truth.  Soon you will all be forced to face the truth.  I am sorry you are being left behind.  It might not be that bad playing UTEP, New Mexico State and Kansas State.

44 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

NFL has 32 teams.  They make it work nicely.

NHL has 32 teams.

NBA has 30 teams

For a long time the idea was that conferences should be 8 or 10 teams.  It eventually became that 12 was the magic number.  Now it appears that people have this imaginary idea that 16 is what it should be.

Consolidation of the biggest programs is the right number.

He who owns the biggest and best programs and packages them all together wins.

In the end it won't be P4, P5 or BCS6 or whatever nonsense you fools buy into.

In the end it will be ONE or TWO heavyweights who have everything and all the big boys.

It's all very clear if you really stop to look at it (and take whatever G5 school you're a fan of out of the picture, cause it ain't happenin')

(4) 16 team conferences provide for a first round playoff of 8 divisional champions in the conference championships, then...

(4) conference champions in the second round, then...

(2) the Natty

Voila - the rest of us (including a current P member or two) are about to be relegated to FCS.  Let's just get it over already!

4 minutes ago, HiCountryCowboy said:

It's all very clear if you really stop to look at it (and take whatever G5 school you're a fan of out of the picture, cause it ain't happenin')

(4) 16 team conferences provide for a first round playoff of 8 divisional champions in the conference championships, then...

(4) conference champions in the second round, then...

(2) the Natty

Voila - the rest of us (including a current P member or two) are about to be relegated to FCS.  Let's just get it over already!

Sounds nice but that is not what is happening.  This is just some fairytale that has been sold to fans for years but is not reality.

PAC-12, BIG TEN and ACC are not just going to take Big-12 leftover trash because someone says they have to have 16 teams.

It isn't happening.

Same as in the corporate world where they try to gobble up all the best assets, the same is happening here.

BIG and SEC are the winners.  They will continue to go after PAC and ACC until they get the best pieces.  I don't care if it takes another 50 years.  They will continue to consolidate the best schools.

At some point the BIG/SEC may turn and look at eachother.

1 minute ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Not sure if it was mentioned. But the rumor of Kansas having talks with the B1G got shot down by Brett McMurphy on Hawaii sports radio this morning. Said it could be in the cards but no talk has started yet

Rumors and counter-rumors, this is going to be wild ride.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HiCountryCowboy said:

They will have (8) auto bids in not time - the (8) divisional champions from the (4) soon-to-be 16-team power conferences.  The rest of us will have to embrace FCS.

It is going to be a 12 team playoff.  The more conferences that disintegrate the better it is for the MWC schools.

Even if they get four guaranteed bids for their champs (who would be in regardless with 12 teams anyways) the MWC will still have a path to the Championship!

That is all that matters.  A path to the Championship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SDSU891 said:

Rumors and counter-rumors, this is going to be wild ride.

It is going to be great if the Big-12 evaporates and the MWC/AAC get to pick over the carcass of the Big-12 and possibly tell some of those elitist coattail riders that they don't have what it takes for an invite to the MWC.  Make them sweat it out and wait.  Don't send them a life line unless they pay up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

This thread is highly entertaining.  Where is the North Dakota guy and his graphs?  This is his time to shine.  

Probably over on Big 12 boards pimping the school there.

NDSU fans are probably drooling over articles like this posted yesterday at an Okie State site talking about North Dakota State as a Big 12 replacement team along with Boise, Houston, and SMU.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/what-would-the-big-12-look-like-without-oklahoma-and-texas/

• Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

If the PAC-12 thinks that Stillwater, Lubbock and Fort Worthless are the answers to their long term problems, they are in for a world of hurt!

PAC-12 adds those schools and the conference is doomed.  I would be absolutely shocked.

We're kind of on the same page. Hopefully the Pac 12 doesn't bite. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jalapeno said:

Baylor is too toxic to be considered for the Pac-12 so I think the MWC will take Baylor and Kansas State.  Maybe Iowa State.  Kansas has an outside shot at the B1G.

They might stay together long enough to collect exit fees and basketball residuals.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Baylor is too toxic to be considered for the Pac-12 so I think the MWC will take Baylor and Kansas State.  Maybe Iowa State.  Kansas has an outside shot at the B1G.

What if the BIG could get Kansas and Missouri.

SEC would have another opening, would they go after Oklahoma State or West Virginia?

Would Baylor/Kansas State/Iowa State be enough for MWC to lure back BYU (lonely) and/or Houston?

Or does it make more sense to just make this new conference:

UNLV, BYU, SDSU, Boise, Colorado State, Iowa State

Baylor, Houston, SMU, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Memphis

19 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

What if the BIG could get Kansas and Missouri.

SEC would have another opening, would they go after Oklahoma State or West Virginia?

Would Baylor/Kansas State/Iowa State be enough for MWC to lure back BYU (lonely) and/or Houston?

Or does it make more sense to just make this new conference:

UNLV, BYU, SDSU, Boise, Colorado State, Iowa State

Baylor, Houston, SMU, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Memphis

Honestly your new Conference idea isn't too bad.  If 16 teams is going to be the new norm, I'd add Nevada, UNM, Hawaii and UTEP.  For selfish reasons we have to keep Hawaii in the conference so we have an excuse for a Hawaii vacation every couple of years.  The conference would split with the PAC12 for the evening time slots and the Central Time Zone teams could take early afternoon games.  It would keep travel down for all schools which would help with budgets.  I think 8 team divisions with 2 cross over games would work great.  Plus those 8 teams in each regional division could create/preserve some great rivalries (until 10 years from now when CFB gets bored, blows up the conferences again and realigns again with just one national conference consisting of USC, Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas etc.

https://theathletic.com/2725688/2021/07/23/sources-texas-and-oklahoma-to-inform-big-12-of-exit-next-week-with-plans-to-bolt-for-sec/?source=emp_shared_article

snippets from the article by Bruce Feldman thanks to a member on csnbbs (not sure if anything else of the article was stated since don't have access)

Texas and Oklahoma will send letters to the Big 12 on Monday informing the league that it does not intend to renew its grant-of-rights agreement upon expiration in 2025, multiple sources told The Athletic.

Such a move is the next necessary step in clearing a path for the two schools to leave the conference and join the SEC, starting a massive ripple effect throughout college athletics. 247Sports first reported the news Friday.

Meanwhile, the remaining eight members of the Big 12 are in the process of making contingency plans and assessing what their value would be to other conferences, sources said. Those schools pledged during a call on Thursday evening that they would try to stay together, but are planning for an alternate future in the meantime.

“I’m shell-shocked,” a Big 12 athletic director told The Athletic Friday morning, relaying what has been a mind-blowing 48 hours chocked full of confusion, angst and a chilling feeling of betrayal.

Reaching out to the Pac-12 about a potential 20-school merger was discussed during Thursday’s Big 12 leadership call. Such a move seems to be a more favorable alternative for the Big 12 than bringing in new members, which would possibly involve raiding the American Athletic Conference to lift its membership back into double digits.

“Bringing in a Cincinnati and UCF doesn’t bring any eyeballs,” the AD said.

• Like 2