Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

17 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I feel bad for the TCU's, KSU, ISU's and the other schools in the Big XII. They latched their wagon to UT (and to a lesser degree OU), bent over backwards to keep them happy (Longhorn Network). Even if this doesn't pan out and UT and OU return back to the Big XII, the damage has been done.

If I was a fan of one of the “other” Big 12 schools the most annoying thing to me would be that the conference didn’t really do anything “wrong”, they would just be a victim of circumstance and geography. I mean sure, had they brought in, say, Houston and Memphis a few years ago they would have been in a slightly better position to withstand some defections without the whole thing falling apart; but even in that scenario that probably just puts Houston on the Pac-12’s radar, and Memphis on the ACC’s radar along with WVU. Once the ACC signed that longterm GOR the most realistic expansion options for the B1G and SEC became the Big 12 schools, specifically OU and UT. The Big 12 will be vulnerable to poaching as long as it exists.  

5 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Just in case a few of us get invited, we might as well look at our future bowl lineup and NCAA Tournament credits

Big-12 Current Bowl Lineup

Sugar Bowl – vs. SEC
Valero Alamo Bowl – vs. Pac-12
Camping World Bowl – vs. ACC
AdvoCare Texas Bowl – vs. SEC
AutoZone Liberty – vs. SEC
Cheez-It Bowl – vs. Big Ten
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl or SERVPRO First Responder Bowl – vs. Group of 5

Only valid until 2025.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Actually, with Baylor, Tech, Kansas, plus maybe Houston, Memphis, BYU, and Cinci---it would have a solid core to be a potential top 4 or 5 basketball league.    Still room to add a few more programs.  

Basketball does not drive the bus. It’s all about football. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

4 minutes ago, Pokez said:

I think the PAC-12 could really be in trouble if things get crazy. I don't know how they can possibly get to 16, if that becomes the norm (a distinct possibility). Outside of Oklahoma St, none of the Big XII leftovers do anything for the conference. Would they bite the bullet and look to the Hawaii or UNLV instead of having to reach so far into the central time zone?

I hate to say it but the PAC-12 really needs to be in the Central time zone more.

If it was me and I was running the PAC-12 I would grab Oklahoma State, TCU, Houston & UNLV.

• Like 2

Just now, RebelRobert said:

I expect to be there in 2023.

Expect to be disappointed.

• Like 1

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If I was a fan of one of the “other” Big 12 schools the most annoying thing to me would be that the conference didn’t really do anything “wrong”, they would just be a victim of circumstance and geography. I mean sure, had they brought in, say, Houston and Memphis a few years ago they would have been in a slightly better position to withstand some defections without the whole thing falling apart; but even in that scenario that probably just puts Houston on the Pac-12’s radar, and Memphis on the ACC’s radar along with WVU. Once the ACC signed that longterm GOR the most realistic expansion options for the B1G and SEC became the Big 12 schools, specifically OU and UT. The Big 12 will be vulnerable to poaching as long as it exists.  

I agree. Being in the middle of the country, on the plains with a smaller population base, makes you always vulnerable to poaching from the east and west coasts. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

Just now, RebelRobert said:

I don't get disappointed.

You dont get a lot of things.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

I hate to say it but the PAC-12 really needs to be in the Central time zone more.

If it was me and I was running the PAC-12 I would grab Oklahoma State, TCU, Houston & UNLV.

They do? 

Wtf do they need to be in the central time zone?  You Rebel posters need to put down the crack pipe. 

• Like 1

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

Just now, Old_Sparty1857 said:

They do? 

Wtf do they need to be in the central time zone?  You Rebel posters need to put down the crack pipe. 

Nobody knows they exist.  The times and channels they play on nobody sees them.

I am in the Central Time zone and people in this part of the country have no idea the PAC-12 even exists.

I am sure it is even worse for people in the East.  They never see PAC-12 teams.

PAC-12 needs a Central presence and needs to play games earlier so they can be seen nationally.

The last ten years they have become ghosts and almost completely irrelevant nationally.

PAC-12 network has destroyed them.  Nobody watches at all.

4 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

I'd kick Hawaii's tires if I was the P12. They could build the nicest stadium in the conference if they knew they were getting a call up right now.

If the PAC12 somehow showed Hawai any interest. The state would go through any hoops needed as well as the school itself to get the NASED project on a fast track towards completion. More revenue for the school means less reliance on the state during hardships. As well as more tourism dollars (which is one of the main drivers of anything getting done in the islands) for the state since the PAC12 fan bases usually travel well

Just now, ShoichiKUN808 said:

If the PAC12 somehow showed Hawai any interest. The state would go through any hoops needed as well as the school itself to get the NASED project on a fast track towards completion. More revenue for the school means less reliance on the state during hardships. As well as more tourism dollars (which is one of the main drivers of anything getting done in the islands) for the state since the PAC12 fan bases usually travel well

Never going to happen. The travel will always get in the way. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

11 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

I am in the Central Time zone and people in this part of the country have no idea the PAC-12 even exists.

I am sure it is even worse for people in the East.  They never see PAC-12 teams.

PAC-12 needs a Central presence and needs to play games earlier so they can be seen nationally.

The last ten years they have become ghosts and almost completely irrelevant nationally.

The biggest thing that has destroyed the Pac12 has been being left out of the 4 team Natty playoff to often. Now that they are all but guaranteed access, California kids will stop heading back east to play. 

And yes, the Pac12 network has been bad, but changes are happening in the Pac12. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

6 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

This is true and should be their focus.  Not central time zone plus add your school.    They won't play late.  They don't travel much to play eastern/southern teams and when they do they get trashed.  

Expansion isn't what they need.  Get rid of that tennis commissioner (done) and get rid of that crappy network.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Never going to happen. The travel will always get in the way. 

Yup agree on that. If the state had been a bit closer to the mainland or a faster mode of transportation existed maybe. But 6 or so hour flights for all sports puts a damper on any real chance

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

You are delusional my friend

• Like 3