Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

5 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

am I crazy to thing that will no longer be the case if the SEC adds two of the biggest properties in college football? My prediction is that the SEC will dwarf every other conference in $$$ shortly

You aren't crazy but it isn't going to exceed the NFL.  I do think the increased pressure to maximize revenue for schools in the Pac 12 could be the major reason to dissolve and reform as a ten team conference to assure each member earns revenue equivalent to what the ACC member schools get with 14/5 members

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

7 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Just wanted to say Hawaii is perfect for the P12.  But, that’s all (mostly) outside our control so let’s make the MWC the best it can be!

I agree but the problem is having an odd number of members. If Arizona State joins the Big 12, you guys are totally in.

• Cheers 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

26 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, I think they do. As a SJSU fan I can tell you first hand that being in a market is not the same as delivering it. Adding Mizzou would help the B1G actually deliver the St. Louis market. 

Illinois shares St Louis with Mizzou, in the same way KC is shared by KU and Mizzou.  They deliver it, which is a big reason why MIzzou was rejected.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, RSF said:

Illinois shares St Louis with Mizzou, in the same way KC is shared by KU and Mizzou.  They deliver it, which is a big reason why MIzzou was rejected.

So basically your entire argument is the B1G “rejected” Mizzou when they added Nebraska 10 years ago so there would be no way they could be interested now? 

Okay.

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So basically your entire argument is the B1G “rejected” Mizzou when they added Nebraska 10 years ago so there would be no way they could be interested now? 

Okay.

Except its not my entire argument, as I laid out previously.  And its not like the B10 needs to expand anyways.

have a nice day.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I think SDSU is the most valuable program to the MWC.  It would be a nice to have for the P12 (driving distance rivalries, cross attendance, potential ceiling for SDSU could be higher in the P12), but a must have for the MWC.  

Hawaii and the WAC survived and thrived without a true SoCal school with Fresno State being the closest to there.  So sure, the MWC would be ok, but for recruiting and having a solid program in SoCal, I think it’s a must have at this time.  

Boise State is not a must have for MWC although we would take a hit media revenue wise, longer term (which all the realignment talk is long term thinking) not as important. I only mention Boise because they’ve been rumored to want to leave us.  I hope they stay.

The Big West moving their basketball tourney to Vegas while just outside the Big West footprint, shows that Western conferences will use Vegas for the facilities and not necessarily need to invite UNLV.  Would the B12 want UNLV for the media market?  Maybe that since Vegas is less likely to be a site for their conference tourneys (maybe, but I’d think Dallas would be the central spot).  I think UNLV fans should be all-in with making the MWC better. 

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

not my entire argument, as I laid out previously.

have a nice day.

So you admonish me for not addressing your entire argument when I also “laid out previously” an argument that you looked at and decided to ignore with the exception of the TV market point I made? 

Whatever dude.

6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So you admonish me for not addressing your entire argument when I also “laid out previously” an argument that you looked at and decided to ignore with the exception of the TV market point I made? 

Whatever dude.

First, didnt admonish anybody.  Second, my 'entire argument' was not that the Big 10 rejected Mizzou.  As for 'ignoring' stuff, I didnt because they were logically correct, albeit much more minor points (this is about money not geography or 'sticking it people').  So why the +++++ would I address them?

Sheesh.  Need to add 'realignment' to politics and religion as subjects people cant discuss rationally.

1 hour ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I have no idea what’s going to happen to the big 12. The TV contract will probably be cut in half and if Kansas goes to the Big Ten and the PAC raids a few teams, who knows what’s going to happen? Either the big 12 or the AAC will be dead.

"Best of the Rest" between AAC, MWC, and leftover Big-12 programs. Then a mishmash of the leftover leftovers behind that.

9 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

"Best of the Rest" between AAC, MWC, and leftover Big-12 programs. Then a mishmash of the leftover leftovers behind that.

That would be my bet short term.  B12 leftovers, top 2 MWC (include BYU in candidates), top 2 AAC, or some combo like that, depending on how many total teams they want.  It could definitely be a really good football conference, but you can't replace Texas and OU and generate the same revenue.  Just isn't going to happen.  Could be a solid basketball conference as well.  

11 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

It is a shame that we can't do a true "Best of Rest" because all the Big-12 teams get to stay no matter what because they have the NCAA Tournament Credits and the Bowl Tie-Ins.  A true best of rest would be interesting.

Kansas, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State

UNLV, SDSU, Colorado State, Boise, New Mexico, Hawaii, Fresno, Nevada, Air Force, Wyoming, Utah State, San Jose State

Houston, SMU, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulsa, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, Navy 

big_14.conference.png.37d81d63fc934708a651ee88a8a7db38.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

First, didnt admonish anybody.  Second, my 'entire argument' was not that the Big 10 rejected Mizzou.  As for 'ignoring' stuff, I didnt because they were logically correct, albeit much more minor points (this is about money not geography or 'sticking it people').  So why the +++++ would I address them?

Sheesh.  Need to add 'realignment' to politics and religion as subjects people cant discuss rationally.

The B1G stated last time that they desire to have a contiguous footprint, I didn’t just pull that out of my ass. Why that’s even something they take in to consideration? I have no idea, but they do. When the B1G added Nebraska they swore they were happy at 12, even though Rutgers and Maryland were obviously still out there to be had. Then the SEC expanded to 14, and all of a sudden the B1G responded by doing the same. So did they just have an epiphany that adding Rutgers and Maryland suddenly was the best move and they were wrong to be happy at 12? Or did they just see the SEC go to 14 and wanted to make sure they kept up with their biggest competitors? I’m guessing it’s the latter. So if past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior, that would suggest that the SEC growing to 16 would make the B1G respond by keeping pace. 

How the hell is that not discussing rationally? 

31 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Check out this thread on the AAC board titled "This UT/OU move proves that AAC was playing checkers and the MW was playing chess" 

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-925501.html

Prelly lolworthy thread, but one poster made a great point about the Big 12 remaining due to name brand and more importantly the collection of residuals (think NCAA tournament rewards).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alum93 said:

That would be my bet short term.  B12 leftovers, top 2 MWC (include BYU in candidates), top 2 AAC, or some combo like that, depending on how many total teams they want.  It could definitely be a really good football conference, but you can't replace Texas and OU and generate the same revenue.  Just isn't going to happen.  Could be a solid basketball conference as well.  

Most practical option for "Best of Rest" conference is for the Big 12 to add 4-6 new members from AAC, MWC, and BYU. SDSU, BYU, Memphis, Houston, and Cincy have strong programs in both basketball and football. UCF is a monster school in a monster market.