Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

21 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Even Oklahoma State is an iffy add for the PAC-12 but I could see them doing it.

Ever been to Stillwater?  It is not Norman.

Adding Oklahoma State without OU would not be the best move for the PAC-12 in my opinion.

I would want SDSU, Houston, UNLV and even Colorado State before I would add Oklahoma State by themselves if I was running the PAC-12.

Texas Tech makes no sense for the PAC-12. Lubbock Texas???  I would want New Mexico over them.  I would take 25 other schools before Texas Tech.

The UNLV vs Iowa State conference basketball games will be interesting.

UT/OU to SEC

WVU to ACC

KU to B1G

Leaving KSU, TTU, OSU, ISU, TCU, Baylor

remnants add BYU, BSU, Cinci, Houston, Memphis, UCF

That's my guess. That said I wonder if PAC surprises everyone and takes TCU, TTU, OSU, BYU. We all know the cultural issues but the PAC has been circling the toilet and needs to shake things up. Adding central time markets and more die hard fanbases would be a good thing imo.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BacksThePack said:

I'd kick Hawaii's tires if I was the P12. They could build the nicest stadium in the conference if they knew they were getting a call up right now.

Hawaii has the advantage of their timezone and I have always believed they should be independent in Football.

Hawaii Football should start all home football games at 6pm local time and all home games should be on ESPN as the last late night game on Saturday.

It should be a college football tradition that Saturday late night is Hawaii Football playing some big time school every week.

12 home games for Hawaii, all big name schools playing there!

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

I am no Texas Tech or Lubbock Texas fan and I see no reason why Texas Tech should be added to any conference.  They are garbage.

If PAC-12's big move is to add Texas Tech, they are in big trouble.

Texas Tech brings zero value

Maybe, but you said you would take UNM football over Texas Tech, so where is the value in that?  Which school has the better resources, bigger budgets, has shown they can compete at P5 level?  Even if you include basketball, it's still an easy decision.  

48 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

inevitably this will be bad for college football, it ushers toward an era where there will be a body of the top 20 - 25 programs leaving the rest of us to scrape by and eventually die off.

Partly this ^ but the announcement yesterday of the POTENTIAL (!) STARTING QB for Alabama already having $1,000,000 in endorsements pretty much ended recruiting potential of getting competitive athletes for all but the bluebloods, other than scholarship limits.

"Free education and a couple hundred thou? Yeah, I'm gonna sign with a P5 program...thanks but no thanks Insert G5 Progam Here!" 

• Like 4

Just now, alum93 said:

Maybe, but you said you would take UNM football over Texas Tech, so where is the value in that?  Which school has the better resources, bigger budgets, has shown they can compete at P5 level?  Even if you include basketball, it's still an easy decision.  

If I was running the PAC-12, New Mexico would be higher on my list than Texas Tech.

Texas Tech only has what they have because of Texas/OU.  On equal footing, Texas Tech becomes a nobody like Wyoming.  Kansas State is the same.

They are programs that are garbage and have no business being at the level they are at.

I would take New Mexico before Texas Tech if I was running the PAC-12.  Neither would be in my Top 10 list.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, SparkysDad said:

Partly this ^ but the announcement yesterday of the POTENTIAL (!) STARTING QB for Alabama already having $1,000,000 in endorsements pretty much ended recruiting potential of getting competitive athletes for all but the bluebloods, other than scholarship limits.

"Free education and a couple hundred thou? Yeah, I'm gonna sign with a P5 program...thanks but no thanks Insert G5 Progam Here!" 

Thats where things get interesting in SD. A Penny or Pumphrey type player here would get all sorts of lucrative endorsements around town. I think you are mostly right but there will be some G5 markets that might help their schools recruit more than they use to as a result.

3 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

If I was running the PAC-12, New Mexico would be higher on my list than Texas Tech.

Texas Tech only has what they have because of Texas/OU.  On equal footing, Texas Tech becomes a nobody like Wyoming.  Kansas State is the same.

They are programs that are garbage and have no business being at the level they are at.

I would take New Mexico before Texas Tech if I was running the PAC-12.  Neither would be in my Top 10 list.

TTU has a top 60 win % all time in CFB...and they are better in hoops than any MW program. Put down the crack pipe.

3 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

You have now mentioned UNM and Wyoming in comparison to Texas Tech.  I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.   Not going to bother posting data, but one these is unlike the other 2.

while OU, Texas join the fight for supremacy of the SEC, Clemson can sit back in the watered-down ACC football conference and be guaranteed a top 4 seed in the playoffs virtually every year. This is disastrous to the competitive balance of the sport IMO. 

Also, while I do believe the remaining Big XII teams have value I question whether another conference will pick them up. As a Utah fan, I'm not sure the PAC-10 reacts the same way they did today as they did a decade ago when adding schools was all the rage? 

I knew that the Big 12's upcoming tv negotiations would spark something, but I didn't expect the ish hitting the fan so quickly.

First of all, this does NOT indicate a series of 4 team super conferences.  The Pac 12 is about peer academic institutions in major western media markets competing with each other and UNLV has a long way to go as an institution before they are on that list. I agree Hawai'i, Nevada and New Mexico have about equal potential to UNLV if the media market justified it; Hawai'i probably is a little ahead of the other three as a media property that complements existing Pac 12 members.

If the SEC goes to 16, then I agree that the B1G goes to 16 as well.  The scenario no one has mentioned is Mizzou joining Kansas in the B1G so West Virginia replaces Mizzou in SEC east.  I don't think the ACC will expand to sixteen because Notre Dame prefers football independence.

Basically this is great news for the Pac 12 media rights negotiations because the Big 12 won't be much of a factor.  How the Big 12 expands/implodes/whatever probably affects the Mountain West's media rights negotiations.

I think the American will be able to take the best of the remaining Big 12 members (Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech) but Iowa State, Baylor and Kansas State could really be in a tough spot (CUSA ?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

while OU, Texas join the fight for supremacy of the SEC, Clemson can sit back in the watered-down ACC football conference and be guaranteed a top 4 seed in the playoffs virtually every year. This is disastrous to the competitive balance of the sport IMO. 

Also, while I do believe the remaining Big XII teams have value I question whether another conference will pick them up. As a Utah fan, I'm not sure the PAC-10 reacts the same way they did today as they did a decade ago when adding schools was all the rage? 

PAC 10 expansion 10 years ago, after failing to completely raid the Big XII was all about adding the biggest TV markets that were the closest to their existing footprint for the new (at the time) conference network. Now, with the network and abject failure and less (good to decent) options for expansion than ever, you are completely right. No clue what the PAC12 does moving forward if/when dominoes start falling. 

• Like 1

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

8 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

TTU has a top 60 win % all time in CFB...and they are better in hoops than any MW program. Put down the crack pipe.

They just lost their coach in Basketball.  In Football they are garbage.  Without OU/Texas they dry up and are Rice in five years or less, only problem is they aren't in Houston so even Rice will be a better program.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

I knew that the Big 12's upcoming tv negotiations would spark something, but I didn't expect the ish hitting the fan so quickly.

First of all, this does NOT indicate a series of 4 team super conferences.  The Pac 12 is about peer academic institutions in major western media markets competing with each other and UNLV has a long way to go as an institution before they are on that list. I agree Hawai'i, Nevada and New Mexico have about equal potential to UNLV if the media market justified it; Hawai'i probably is a little ahead of the other three as a media property that complements existing Pac 12 members.

If the SEC goes to 16, then I agree that the B1G goes to 16 as well.  The scenario no one has mentioned is Mizzou joining Kansas in the B1G so West Virginia replaces Mizzou in SEC east.  I don't think the ACC will expand to sixteen because Notre Dame prefers football independence.

Basically this is great news for the Pac 12 media rights negotiations because the Big 12 won't be much of a factor.  How the Big 12 expands/implodes/whatever probably affects the Mountain West's media rights negotiations.

I think the American will be able to take the best of the remaining Big 12 members (Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech) but Iowa State, Baylor and Kansas State could really be in a tough spot (CUSA ?)

Agree with everything except i see the remaining B12 teams poaching the AAC if they survive, not the other way around.  It would seem the P12 is in a pretty good place right now to watch things unfold.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

So you think you’re newly hired commissioner is going to just sit back and do nothing if realignment dominoes start falling? That’s just not realistic. 

1 minute ago, alum93 said:

Agree with everything except i see the remaining B12 teams poaching the AAC if they survive, not the other way around.  It would seem the P12 is in a pretty good place right now to watch things unfold.  

You are probably right because the American doesn't have a grant of rights (right?)  I think the media contract is until 2035ish but schools can still leave. 

However, the relative value of the remaining teams in their media markets might not actually make it worthwhile for ESPN/Fox/etc. to purchase those rights at the same price they currently get given the rights they already have and what they'll spend on the B1G and Pac 12 media rights.