Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Olympics MEGA-THREAD.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The prominent basketball examples where players blatantly quit, Lebron with the Lakers and the 2010 Cavs, Kobe in 2007, back to Wilt in the 60’s; are always about sending a message that shows up their teammates. They’re saying to the front office and the world “You expect me to win titles, but look at these bozos you’ve surrounded me with.” Whatever reasoning they eventually settle on, Biles definitely wasn’t doing that.

Nope, opposite of that.  She was doing what she thought was best for her rock star teammates.

29 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nope, opposite of that.  She was doing what she thought was best for her rock star teammates.

Twisties is the new line. Mental health and for good of the team is out. It’s now a physical health issue. Get with the new “experts” and “insider” messaging.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I wish Chris Webber would have "quit" on his team a little longer in 2003-2004.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Twisties is the new line. Mental health and for good of the team is out. It’s now a physical health issue. Get with the new “experts” and “insider” messaging.

Uhm, twisties IS mental health.  And, point still stands.  Biles did what she thought was best.  And she was right.  Silver medal proves it!

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You would have to have Jordan quit in round 1 of the 1993 playoffs, initially stating because he had a mental issue and he would be harming the team, then the Bulls still make the NBA finals for it to compare.

That is the most insane, implausible scenario imaginable when you think about Michael Jordan.

That was Scottie Pippen. It was the 1994 playoffs. Only it wasn't a mental issue. It was because he was pouting.

28 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

How dare Chuck Knoblauch take himself out of a game when he couldn't throw to first base. He should have kept firing baseballs into the stands or else he would be letting his team down.

13 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Uhm, twisties IS mental health.  And, point still stands.  Biles did what she thought was best.  And she was right.  Silver medal proves it!

Self doubt is a mental issue. Losing your spatial awareness because the neural pathways are no longer connecting is a physical one. These are two different things and two different explanations in as many days. Biles said it wasn’t a physical issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/tokyo-summer-olympics/simone-biles-reveals-what-led-to-her-surprising-withdrawal-in-gymnastics-team-final/2567706/%3famp 

"Physically, I feel good," the 24-year-old Ohio-native told Kotb exclusively on TODAY after her withdrawal. "Emotionally it varies on the time and moment. Coming to the Olympics and being head star isn't an easy feat."

Before her withdrawal, Biles had an uncharacteristically poor vault, and she failed to stick the landing. After her vault, she could be seen being evaluated by Team USA trainers.

According to a statement from USA Gymnastics, Biles withdrew due to a medical issue. The organization said she will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions. Biles' coach wrote to NBC after Biles' exit, "Physically she is fine. But she is done for the night."

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

Self doubt is a mental issue. Losing your spatial awareness because the neural pathways are no longer connecting is a physical one. These are two different things and two different explanations in as many days. Biles said it wasn’t a physical issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/tokyo-summer-olympics/simone-biles-reveals-what-led-to-her-surprising-withdrawal-in-gymnastics-team-final/2567706/%3famp 

"Physically, I feel good," the 24-year-old Ohio-native told Kotb exclusively on TODAY after her withdrawal. "Emotionally it varies on the time and moment. Coming to the Olympics and being head star isn't an easy feat."

Before her withdrawal, Biles had an uncharacteristically poor vault, and she failed to stick the landing. After her vault, she could be seen being evaluated by Team USA trainers.

According to a statement from USA Gymnastics, Biles withdrew due to a medical issue. The organization said she will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions. Biles' coach wrote to NBC after Biles' exit, "Physically she is fine. But she is done for the night."

Uhm no.  Twisties is the name for the EXACT thing we have been describing in this thread.  That she was so out of sorts she lost where she was in the air in relation to the ground.  Remember me saying that, like, what 13 times now?  Glad you discovered the word for it.

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

How dare Chuck Knoblauch take himself out of a game when he couldn't throw to first base. He should have kept firing baseballs into the stands or else he would be letting his team down.

Chuck Knoblauch wasn’t Barry Bonds two days before he got the yips. Also, he played for years with them. Strike 3, sit down meat.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Uhm no.  Twisties is the name for the EXACT thing we have been describing in this thread.  That she was so out of sorts she lost where she was in the air in relation to the ground.  Remember me saying that, like, what 13 times now?  Glad you discovered the word for it.

And what did Biles say about it? She didn’t mention them did she?

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

And what did Biles say about it? She didn’t mention them did she?

She explicitly said she lost where she was at in the air in relationship to the ground...which is...you guessed it...the twisties.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The prominent basketball examples where players blatantly quit, Lebron with the Lakers and the 2010 Cavs, Kobe in 2007, back to Wilt in the 60’s; are always about sending a message that shows up their teammates. They’re saying to the front office and the world “You expect me to win titles, but look at these bozos you’ve surrounded me with.” Whatever reasoning they eventually settle on, Biles definitely wasn’t doing that.

So, you're saying they quit for the good of the team? Go get em Lawlor! You do not abide!

15 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

And I’m back. If she had an injury, you’re right. That isn’t quitting. The entitlement claim is crap. I’ve been watching the Olympics for almost 30 years. You remember things that stand out. Simon Biles quitting during the team competition is going to be remembered 30 years from now, more than anything else at this point.

Unless she genuinely stops caring about gymnastics, not likely for the GOAT, she needs somebody’s help. She went from being the runaway best gymnast in the world on a bad day for her Sunday night, to falling apart and quitting at the drop of a hat two days later. You will struggle to find a parallel to that in any sport.

Entitled? For a sports fan that is historically remarkable. I just remarked upon it, accurately.

Biles problem was everyone putting her on a pedestal, and moreso, her listening to it.