Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Frito-Lay strike.

It's enraging to think labor abuse like this still exist. Saw and interview on Spectrum News with an employee who's been at the KC plant for 37 years.

Makes maybe five dollars above federal minimum wage. Has been given two $600 [taxed] bonuses for his service. Barely given bereavement leave when his wife passed away from cancer. Also said they are forced to work suicide shifts- work a regular shift with four hours added, then made to return six hours later for another shift. Many employees have been working 7 days straight with no days off for 5 months at least.

As much as I love Nachos Cheese Doritos and Flamin' Hots, +++++ Frito-lay!! And Pepsi-Co too! There will be nothing but Takis, Pringles and Coke in our junk cupboard.

29 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

It's enraging to think labor abuse like this still exist. Saw and interview on Spectrum News with an employee who's been at the KC plant for 37 years.

Makes maybe five dollars above federal minimum wage. Has been given two $600 [taxed] bonuses for his service. Barely given bereavement leave when his wife passed away from cancer. Also said they are forced to work suicide shifts- work a regular shift with four hours added, then made to return six hours later for another shift. Many employees have been working 7 days straight with no days off for 5 months at least.

As much as I love Nachos Cheese Doritos and Flamin' Hots, +++++ Frito-lay!! And Pepsi-Co too! There will be nothing but Takis, Pringles and Coke in our junk cupboard.

Nobody is "forced" to work at Frito Lay.  This is union agitprop, the kind of story that manages to find its way into the press as a part of an organization campaign.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

24 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Nobody is "forced" to work at Frito Lay.  This is union agitprop, the kind of story that manages to find its way into the press as a part of an organization campaign.

Manages to find its way in?  Dude the strike started the day after a man died on the line, they were ordered to move his body, plug in another person, and did not stop working for even 5 minutes.  "Allegedly".  

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Manages to find its way in?  Dude the strike started the day after a man died on the line, they were ordered to move his body, plug in another person, and did not stop working for even 5 minutes.  "Allegedly".  

Again, nobody is FORCED to work there. If it's such a hellscape, they can quit.

Did they have to step over the body until the shift ended?

Agitprop...

Mark McCarter, a 59-year-old Frito-Lay employee and 37-year veteran of the job told Vice that conditions deteriorated rapidly during the pandemic, nothing that one man died on the job and others have died by suicide over the years. “This is not a good job,” McCarter wrote

LOL

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Agitprop...

Mark McCarter, a 59-year-old Frito-Lay employee and 37-year veteran of the job told Vice that conditions deteriorated rapidly during the pandemic, nothing that one man died on the job and others have died by suicide over the years. “This is not a good job,” McCarter wrote

LOL

So because they are not slaves, it's all good?

45 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I have to believe this is the actual story. Or like the Seattle police officer who ‘worked’ 4149 hours in a year (an average of 11 hrs/day for 365 days).

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I know that for me to vote yes it’s going to take at least $28.75 as new wage for my current classification and 3.5 percent yearly for cost-of-living. At the very least.” Current hourly wages range from $18.35 to $34.82 per hour, depending on job classification.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/07/20/frit-j20.html

Pretty sure $20/hr isn’t poverty wage in Topeka, where you can buy a decent home for under $150k still.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yes. Pretty much.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You’re only a slave if you choose to be one. Get another job if you don’t like the working conditions or pay. Some people actually like the extra hours and additional pay. They can buy a new jet ski or whatever. 

Many professional employees are salaried and don’t get OT pay for extra hours. I put in a lot of extra hours to meet tight budgets. It’s all part of the job. I knew it when I signed up for it. If you don’t like it get a government job. 

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Agitprop...

LOL

You're selectively ignoring the "conditions deteriorated rapidly during the pandemic" portion. See the following:

Many of the 850 workers at the facility say they work 84 hours a week with no days off. Workers are nominally supposed to work eight-hour shifts, but because of shortages, workers are often forced to add on an extra four hours before or after their shifts. Workers call these extended shifts "suicides," because they say the schedule kills you over time. Some workers haven't had a single day off in five months, including Saturdays and Sundays. 

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/pkbmwy/im-a-frito-lay-factory-worker-i-work-12-hour-days-7-days-a-week

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Agitprop...

LOL

You misread it as they are being forced to work at that plant as opposes to obligated, forced, to work in intolerable conditions. It's easy to state the obvious, "no nobody is forced to work there". It's likely that there are not an abundance of job opportunities in that community. Given the prevalent in debt culture of our society, that is probably why they are forced to settle for work at a place like that plant. 

It appears that your knee jerk reaction is the result of your anti-union stance. 

29 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You’re only a slave if you choose to be one. Get another job if you don’t like the working conditions or pay. Some people actually like the extra hours and additional pay. They can buy a new jet ski or whatever. 

Many professional employees are salaried and don’t get OT pay for extra hours. I put in a lot of extra hours to meet tight budgets. It’s all part of the job. I knew it when I signed up for it. If you don’t like it get a government job. 

Salary employees can also work for two on their shift and take the remaining six hours off and get the same pay.

You have some of the best takes on here. /sarcasm

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

sounds like a them problem to me.

Yes, Joe. We know your stance is usually a, "it doesn't affect me, so fcuk 'em" one. 

We know your a lawyer. No need to keep reminding us.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That’s awful. If true these stories sound an awful lot like Sinclair’s ‘The Jungle’. As a former worker at a huge unionized company, I just have a hard time not thinking there is a lot of exaggeration here.

11 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Salary employees can also work for two on their shift and take the remaining six hours off and get the same pay.

You have some of the best takes on here. /sarcasm

WTF are you even talking about? Go back to indoctrinating your JC kids you buffoon. 

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

WTF are you even talking about? Go back to indoctrinating your JC kids you buffoon. 

Clearly you don't know what salary means, then. And I have no idea what the hell you are referring to?? That is typical of your babbling.