Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

What do we do to get the Bobs & Rebels 18 vaccinated.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

This is some real @AndroidAggielogic

E_WfC09UUAAO5vG?format=jpg&name=small

It is not that hard. 

It goes like this:

Nothing is 100% effective and the virus is more deadly than the common flu. It also has the wrinkle of being transmissible before being symptomatic. So that makes it a public problem. 

So we do what we can. Together. 

Masks slow the spread of moisture droplets 

Physical distance makes those droplets harder to reach other people 

The vaccine, those who can take it, have antibodies that don't guarantee imperviousness but give a great fighting chance if you get it after all

The more everyone does those things the less risk there is the virus mutates and overcomes the droplet thing, the distance thing, and the deadliness thing. The less people buy in to the public health angle the more likely it is my personal choice to vaccine will be rendered ineffective thanks to variants. 

I sympathize with people who are resistant to government mandates for vaccination. However, i'm pissed that we got to this point. Very. 

Quibbling over CDC messaging and pointing out Fauci inconsistencies like some sort of Big Government conspiracy is juvenile to me. 

So don't try to rearrange my position to look stupid to you in order to feel justified in your position, Bob. Just set aside your "can't order ME around!!" petulance and realize that we are all in this together. 

Get with it, Bob. We need you. 

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Scientists can be capitalists too.  Science brought us DDT and plenty of other carcinogens. 

Science has a long history of mistakes.  Mistakes in science are inevitable.  Mistakes don't mean you shouldn't trust science.

IMO, it can be as foolish to trust blindly than to not trust at all.  You should question science. You should question laws you deem unjust or unfair.  You should question politicians.   And you should definitely questions the motives of those who would silence those who ask questions.  

Speaking of DDT I had a college biology professor that used to start each semester drinking a spoonful of that stuff because it was safe.  I wonder if he ended up with some serious medical issues....

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I don’t know why you try and defend that perspective? I mean you’re basically saying, hey.. you can do anything you want and there shouldn’t be repercussions. When you realize yourself the end game is nonsensical. And in reality, all the gov is doing is reinforcing laws and were rarely if EVER argued about on this board prior to covid. These are laws that have been in place for as long as I can remember. 

If I'm defending anything, I'm defending what I consider a basic right to choose what you do with your own body.

I'm not defending the decision to not get the vax. My own vaccination status speaks for itself.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

See, this is the type of anti-science bullshit I first called you out on. :waiting:

You know goddamn well that science is the reason we now know all those things are dangerous. 

Of course I do.  Just as you know science sometimes gets it wrong.

To make matters worse in regard to convincing people to get the vaccine, COVID has moved into the realm of politics.  Once that happens, the science gets distorted and less trustworthy. 

As you also know, there is science and there is $cience.

Unfortunately, the two are often blended.  This adds to the trust issues we are seeing among the top reasons cited for not getting the vaccine. 

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Oh ffs. You truly are full of shit. :waiting:

DDT - while obviously discovered by a scientist somewhere in the f*cking 19th century - was in wide use from after WW4 until science determined it was unhealthy in the late 1950s - you know... in the next f*cking century - after which its use declined and was eventually prohibited due to regulatory actions.

Here's the EPA's timeline of use history and regulatory actions regarding DDT you can read so you'll be better informed on the subject next time --> Link

You are however correct in your assertion that scientists can be capitalists to. 

Now, please direct me to the part of the definition of the purpose of science that has to do with making money. I'll wait.

Would you like some additional examples of science getting it wrong?

I mentioned DDT because it was in the meme I posted out of sarcasm. 

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Why should those who choose to vaxx suffer from the consequences of the poor decisions of the unvaxxed. 

Why should an individual who was mutilated in an auto accident be denied an ICU bed simply because those beds are filled with dumbasses ?

Who's the victim and the perp in this case ?

Why should people needing surgeries, transplants, and other life saving procedures be denied them because Hospitals are overwhlemed with needle-phobiacs sucking up a Hospitals resources ?

You're failing to see who the real victims are. Also, that you're right to swing your fist ends where my face begins.

Truthfully, 90,% of the un-vaxxed are selfish, self-centered twats who don't like having to put on a mask or being told what to do. Whose only real objection is to make a political/cultural statement.

I'm not failing to see anything here. I see the same problems you do. 

Why people aren't getting vax doesn't really matter.  It's what we are going to do about that does.

How far do we go to force compliance?

Barack Obama

44 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Speaking of DDT I had a college biology professor that used to start each semester drinking a spoonful of that stuff because it was safe.  I wonder if he ended up with some serious medical issues....

Holy Shit.  Have you tried to find out if he's still around?

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

It is not that hard. 

It goes like this:

Nothing is 100% effective and the virus is more deadly than the common flu. It also has the wrinkle of being transmissible before being symptomatic. So that makes it a public problem. 

So we do what we can. Together. 

Masks slow the spread of moisture droplets 

Physical distance makes those droplets harder to reach other people 

The vaccine, those who can take it, have antibodies that don't guarantee imperviousness but give a great fighting chance if you get it after all

The more everyone does those things the less risk there is the virus mutates and overcomes the droplet thing, the distance thing, and the deadliness thing. The less people buy in to the public health angle the more likely it is my personal choice to vaccine will be rendered ineffective thanks to variants. 

I sympathize with people who are resistant to government mandates for vaccination. However, i'm pissed that we got to this point. Very. 

Quibbling over CDC messaging and pointing out Fauci inconsistencies like some sort of Big Government conspiracy is juvenile to me. 

So don't try to rearrange my position to look stupid to you in order to feel justified in your position, Bob. Just set aside your "can't order ME around!!" petulance and realize that we are all in this together. 

Get with it, Bob. We need you. 

That’ll fall on deaf ears. But a good effort nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Holy Shit.  Have you tried to find out if he's still around?

He's not teaching at UW anymore, I can't remember his first name to save my life but he's not on their list of faculty.

9 minutes ago, Bob said:

masks do not work to slow the spread, but whatever. Spread by aerosols mainly, as is painfully obvious, which masks are not capable of stopping, whatever, ugh. It's not about that.

You danced around the original point. The vaccines do not stop the spread of the virus very well after just a few months. If you are vaccinated you are a vector for the virus. The only reason one would take the vaccine is to protect oneself from hospitalization and death (great do it if you think you need it and are comfortable with it), which protection also wanes with time. The virus will run unimpeded over all of humanity regardless if you or I get a vaccine. You taking a vaccine basically has no bearing on weather anyone else will get the virus. There. Stop. Whatever else you wrote is pointless. You still really think this thing can be "controlled". lololololololol

But you just described every vaccine? And they work exceedingly well when the vast majority are vaccinated? Why is that so hard to admit?

21 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

But you just described every vaccine? And they work exceedingly well when the vast majority are vaccinated? Why is that so hard to admit?

Because it would mean he was WRONG.  Some people just cant handle that concept.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

41 minutes ago, Bob said:

masks do not work to slow the spread, but whatever. Spread by aerosols mainly, as is painfully obvious, which masks are not capable of stopping, whatever, ugh. It's not about that.

You are an ignorant fool. The virus is not spread by aerosols. Humans do not breathe out aerosols dummy!

You expel snot and spit droplets out of your nasty unmasked mug which is the primary means of spreading the virus. Masks are not and have never been touted as 100% effective , but they keep your nasty disease ridden filth contained to your own nasty face. 

I