Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Superior Lifestyle - Summer 2021 Edition

Those who complain about their cities food scene being underestimated.  How accessible is that great food?  I wonder if that was taken into account.  It kind of looks like it was.  If you need reservations two days in advance and have to sell your second car to eat there, it's probably amazing food, but I'll pass.

Just a thought.

15 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Those who complain about their cities food scene being underestimated.  How accessible is that great food?  I wonder if that was taken into account.  It kind of looks like it was.  If you need reservations two days in advance and have to sell your second car to eat there, it's probably amazing food, but I'll pass.

Just a thought.

San Diego County has a $10B food service industry and over 10,000 establishments.  You can get a table for any cuisine, pretty much any time.  Even the high end places with some exceptions will take walk-ins. If you try to get in to some place like Juniper& Ivy on a Saturday night you might have problems.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

20 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Just a thought.

Dude. It's usually totally worth it. Really, why do u need two cars? ;)

On 7/16/2021 at 4:17 PM, gold-n-brown said:

Easy to feed the droves of Coloradans that invade our mountains every weekend.  No, seriously. It has gotten ridiculous.

I type this as I sit in downtown Denver celebrating my anniversary. :ph34r:

I live downtown, where did you decide to eat for the celebration? Happy anniversary btw

Fresno and the larger Fresno area has great food. As good or better than multiple (at least half in my estimation) of the towns on the best of list. 

Sports writers are the last people in the effing world who should be doing any qualitative content on food. They're the kind of folks who get gout in their 20s and die of colon cancer in their 40s.  

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

I live downtown, where did you decide to eat for the celebration? Happy anniversary btw

Thanks.  Italian restaurant Copertas (sp?). It was awesome!  Also had to get my Sam's #3 fix.  Spent a couple days, it was nice to get out after shutting down for the past year plus.  Blew off the Rockies game and bar hopped and Friday went to the comedy club.   Super bummed about El chipoltipec closing.  That was always a must stop for live music.

10 hours ago, gold-n-brown said:

Thanks.  Italian restaurant Copertas (sp?). It was awesome!  Also had to get my Sam's #3 fix.  Spent a couple days, it was nice to get out after shutting down for the past year plus.  Blew off the Rockies game and bar hopped and Friday went to the comedy club.   Super bummed about El chipoltipec closing.  That was always a must stop for live music.

That's awesome! Never been to Coperta (my go to DT are Osteria Marco and jovaninas). Glad you guys had a good time.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:57 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Well done Fort Collins, San Diego, Boise, Honolulu, and Albuquerque for Top 20 status.

And color me shocked that Laramie is 3rd worst. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Memphis has such amazing food....but you have to swap #1 and #2....NO has us beat but not by too much. They also need to swap Tulsa and Birmingham...they got confused.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 7/17/2021 at 7:21 PM, Headbutt said:

Just a thought.

Yer mom makes me a great grilled cheese and tomato soup when I come to visit her!   Food is readily available for me! :rock:

On 7/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, King Spartan said:

Clearly they never had the orange sauce from La Vic's or ate the Burritozilla from Iguana's.

The orange sauce from La Vic’s is enough to catapult San Jose to the top all on its own. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 7/17/2021 at 4:42 PM, Joe from WY said:

It should be on the "best of" list for Original Joe's alone.

Damn, now you’ve got me craving raviolis! 

Btw, I think OJ’s is more OG (original gangster) than any Italian place in Vegas. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 7/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, Ram1554 said:

Suspect list with San Jose at 16th worst. San Jose and the Bay Area have a world class culinary scene. 

San Jose is San Jose...not the "Bay Area" or SF.

Trying to lump SJ in w/SF, Berkeley, Marin, Sonoma, etc..., is like Ft Collins claiming the food scene in Denver & boulder.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:55 PM, Headbutt said:

That ranking is horseshit.  The author(s) have clearly never eaten at the Grand Ave. Applebees.  Terrible evaluation

¿Did you forget about the Flying-J on Stockyard Rd at the Interstate?

B5994EB8-33FF-43C6-9FCD-2107C6108294.jpeg

575B52A0-9105-4D09-B9F7-9F056AFABBB5.jpeg

¡¡¡ CORN DOGS 'n' HEAT LAMPS !!!

On 7/16/2021 at 7:02 AM, Wyovanian said:

Las Vegas has Michelin-starred restaurants and didn't make the list?

They're neutralized by the .99-cent Shrimp Cocktails & .25-cent hot dogs downtown.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:03 AM, Stealthlobo said:

Gotta spend more time up north, only been to fort Collins a couple times. Amazing beer, and apparently quality food too?

YES you do...Ft Fun is pure un adulterated awesomeness.  In 11-yrs-or-so, I hope to retire splitting my time between Ft Collins, Colorado, los EEUU -&- Manizales, Caldas, Colombia.

===========================================

I learned about 15-20 yrs-ago that my Grandad (who died when my father was 8-or-9 y/o) was born in Chama, New Méx; before moving to Durango, Colo as a toddler.  We had a 2nd home in Durango & kept some quarter horses & pack animals north of town, for about-8-yrs when I was growing-up in SoCal.  Thus, I know the Four Corners Area, La Platas, San Juans, etc... pretty well.  

We haven't had kin in Chama since pre-WW-I days & I have yet to visit.  I know it's way up north (far from The ABQ/Santa Fe Metroplex) in the Rockies a lil' closer to Farmington than it is Raton.  Like Durango they too have a narrow gauge train, but I don't really know much more.  Can you tell me any more about Chama?

CC:  @LoboMan59

52 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

YES you do...Ft Fun is pure un adulterated awesomeness.  In 11-yrs-or-so, I hope to retire splitting my time between Ft Collins, Colorado, los EEUU -&- Manizales, Caldas, Colombia.

===========================================

I learned about 15-20 yrs-ago that my Grandad (who died when my father was 8-or-9 y/o) was born in Chama, New Méx; before moving to Durango, Colo as a toddler.  We had a 2nd home in Durango & kept some quarter horses & pack animals north of town, for about-8-yrs when I was growing-up in SoCal.  Thus, I know the Four Corners Area, La Platas, San Juans, etc... pretty well.  

We haven't had kin in Chama since pre-WW-I days & I have yet to visit.  I know it's way up north (far from The ABQ/Santa Fe Metroplex) in the Rockies a lil' closer to Farmington than it is Raton.  Like Durango they too have a narrow gauge train, but I don't really know much more.  Can you tell me any more about Chama?

CC:  @LoboMan59

Ive actually only been to chama once when I was like 15 and we went snow mobiling. I remember it being beautiful and having a great time, but that was like 20 years ago.

Its so easy to stay in our Denver area, but definitely want to get north more often. Haven't been to Colombia yet, but my gf spent a month there and it's her favorite country. Definitely need to visit if/when the political unrest settles down.