Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Love was in the air. Such love. 1 million loving people.

1 minute ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Issacs' last sentence  referring to Booob:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Issac Asimov

He isn't wrong.........there's a cult of stupid surrounding the republican party over the last decade & it's worse than at anytime in my lifetime.................not sure of the Republican Party is headed towards Germany 1933-36 or towards the Movie "IDIOCRACY" ....could be both a comedy of drooling morons trying to find theirs 21st Century Adolph ?!?! 

42 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Good example of the delusional idiocy that it takes to remain steadfast in the republican party of 2021 :blink:

It's one thing to see it on cable news or the internet, but to see people pretending Jan 6th was no big deal on this forum is eye opening.  An attack on the US Capitol, our politicians having to flee while people were calling for their heads, people died...  Just crazy that we are this divided that we can't agree on even that.

7 minutes ago, alum93 said:

It's one thing to see it on cable news or the internet, but to see people pretending Jan 6th was no big deal on this forum is eye opening.  An attack on the US Capitol, our politicians having to flee while people were calling for their heads, people died...  Just crazy that we are this divided that we can't agree on even that.

If a statue was threatened, oh boy, folks would be livid!

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

I can't see the orange clown continuing to lie is lard ass off about the election being stolen, or why Babbit bit it in the Capitol does any good for getting anyone not totally immersed in Cult 45 to think he has any sanity left ..........he's preaching to the cult at this point and only inflaming them to possibly act on his lies, which like on January 6, was his intention...........he's literally inciting his followers to act on his delusions & that could be his main goal at this point 

As I've said on and off for months as needed, these batshit crazy mofos who continue to support Mr. Grumpy 100% regardless of what he says or does may never just go away until we have a mini-Civil War. The sooner that begins, the sooner they can all join Ammon Bundy out in the middle of nowhere and limit themselves to grousing about the fact the federal government won't outright give them land which belongs to EVERY American.

20 minutes ago, alum93 said:

@Bob doesn’t get it. He drank the Trump Kool-Aid and there ain’t no turning back for him. 6 Jan absolutely was a sad day in this country’s history. Those idiots absolutely attempted to halt a Constitutionally mandated process. Call it whatever you want, in the end it was still treason. You are either a supporter of the Constitution or you’re not. If you don’t see 6 Jan for what it was, then you’re the phucking enemy. There is no grey area. 

You guys keep this shit up and we’re bringing Palin back, the V.P. debates will be fcking lit!

And, for the record - all of this could’ve been avoided had a replica of Pelosi’s office been built on the Capital lawn. 

I'm anticipating this.

Biden becomes almost catatonic by 2023 and so announces he won't run for reelection but throws his support behind Harris. Also by then, Harris has become so unpopular that she loses the nomination to AOC. ALSO by then, Trump has died from a heart attack induced by one (thousand) too many Big Macs and some Nazi-sympathizing lunatic comes along who guarantees he will push for a constitutional amendment requiring that the New Testament be taught in public schools and in combination with half a dozen more state legislatures making it damn near impossible for people of color to vote, that guy becomes our new president.

But I jest. Something like that couuld only happen with the gubernatorial races in the Deep South, Arizona and Idaho.

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

No kidding. The so called terrorists looked like a bunch of tourists taking pictures once they got inside. To hear the Demorats, our government was almost toppled. Lol. 

It was,  soup. Your preferring fascism doesn't change that. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 hours ago, sean327 said:

@Bob doesn’t get it. He drank the Trump Kool-Aid and there ain’t no turning back for him. 6 Jan absolutely was a sad day in this country’s history. Those idiots absolutely attempted to halt a Constitutionally mandated process. Call it whatever you want, in the end it was still treason. You are either a supporter of the Constitution or you’re not. If you don’t see 6 Jan for what it was, then you’re the phucking enemy. There is no grey area. 

It's the trumpists rejecting liberalism, and it's bad. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, happycamper said:

It's the trumpists rejecting liberalism, and it's bad. 

I didn’t vote for either of the two idiots. I reject both parties philosophies. In my mind there is very little difference between the two. Both use race to play to the fears of their bases. Both spend like drunken sailors on liberty in Hong Kong, and both only pay lip service to the Constitution and our founding principles. 
What I saw on 6 Jan made me sick. That’s what happens when people settle for the “lesser of two evils”. 

3 hours ago, sean327 said:

I didn’t vote for either of the two idiots. I reject both parties philosophies. In my mind there is very little difference between the two. Both use race to play to the fears of their bases. Both spend like drunken sailors on liberty in Hong Kong, and both only pay lip service to the Constitution and our founding principles. 
What I saw on 6 Jan made me sick. That’s what happens when people settle for the “lesser of two evils”. 

Upgrade your rifle expert badge.

11 hours ago, sean327 said:

A few years ago I'd agree with you, both parties had liberalism as a core tenet that they ignored when convenient. There's still a slice of the republican elected officials that are pro liberalism but especially in the House, that is diminishing. The democrats have an insurgent wing that is indifferent to liberalism at best but they're an insurgent wing. Could change easily though if we get lefty populist prez. 

17 hours ago, sean327 said:

Not sure what your level of relying on Govt has been over your lifetime.............but I know some who've spend a career in the military, have a govt provided pension, went to school on the govt dime, have VA low cost health care and then got a high paying job at a govt contractor after retiring from 20+ in military 

My brother in law is all the above........except for maybe a year at a part time job in high school, the guy hasn't made a $ in his life that wasn't taxpayer provided or funded ..........yet he sometimes despises govt & complains about wild spending - :shrug: What doesn't he grasp about his lifestyle that if it wasn't for govt he'd have been on the dumb end of a shovel most of his life 

Also the two parties are nothing alike anymore, maybe 20 30 years ago, but now there is a distinct difference 

12 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Not sure what your level of relying on Govt has been over your lifetime.............but I know some who've spend a career in the military, have a govt provided pension, went to school on the govt dime, have VA low cost health care and then got a high paying job at a govt contractor after retiring from 20+ in military 

My brother in law is all the above........except for maybe a year at a part time job in high school, the guy hasn't made a $ in his life that wasn't taxpayer provided or funded ..........yet he sometimes despises govt & complains about wild spending - :shrug: What doesn't he grasp about his lifestyle that if it wasn't for govt he'd have been on the dumb end of a shovel most of his life 

Also the two parties are nothing alike anymore, maybe 20 30 years ago, but now there is a distinct difference 

A contractually-provided compensation plan based on a career's worth of services is quite different than gross incompetence of spending on unnecessary items and bloat.  If your argument is that the governmental workforce is bloated, that is one thing.  If your argument is that those who worked in government shouldn't be able to note that there is bloat and waste in government is a strange take.  The fact that government employees (former or current) have a better scope of government spending and the issues between political will vs actual governmental operations, they are likely better suited to have said opinions.  I don't bitch about Amazon, but I know Amazon workers who do, and that makes sense, they know more about the company.

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

A contractually-provided compensation plan based on a career's worth of services is quite different than gross incompetence of spending on unnecessary items and bloat.  If your argument is that the governmental workforce is bloated, that is one thing.  If your argument is that those who worked in government shouldn't be able to note that there is bloat and waste in government is a strange take.  The fact that government employees (former or current) have a better scope of government spending and the issues between political will vs actual governmental operations, they are likely better suited to have said opinions.  I don't bitch about Amazon, but I know Amazon workers who do, and that makes sense, they know more about the company.

My point was more to the USA & world of 2021 (really post WW1) isn't the world of the 1780-1800 when the constitution was written & government basically had little to do other than occasionally raise and army & print money 

My father was a long time federal govt employee whos "department" wasn't even on the radar of the 1800's and original constitution ....was his career a waste of taxpayer $$, not to some and absolutely to others 

But there's no denying the reality that the USA has a massive industrial complex based on government contracts & some of those contracts are just there because they've been there & there's jobs attached to the contract in 300 of 435 congressional districts .......and I get why ex-military get these govt contract created jobs, because they know the routine coming in vs some one who's got a learning curve.

But its ironic to see people in these job scream about govt spending when their very livelihood relies on the spending they gripe about.

Nother person I knew had a long time career at Livermore Labs.......another career that was made possible by government funding yet he was a fiscal conservative type (not the drooling republican of today :cheers:

Outside of a few things, the world the USA was born into has long since vanished and so has the simplistic way government of old used to be. Don't forget, the original USA wasn't planned to have a "standing professional army" - that's the reason for the 2nd Amendment, so the populace could jump to AID the government in time of need, not to fight the government like some gun fetishits have warped it into.

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

My point was more to the USA & world of 2021 (really post WW1) isn't the world of the 1780-1800 when the constitution was written & government basically had little to do other than occasionally raise and army & print money 

My father was a long time federal govt employee whos "department" wasn't even on the radar of the 1800's and original constitution ....was his career a waste of taxpayer $$, not to some and absolutely to others 

But there's no denying the reality that the USA has a massive industrial complex based on government contracts & some of those contracts are just there because they've been there & there's jobs attached to the contract in 300 of 435 congressional districts .......and I get why ex-military get these govt contract created jobs, because they know the routine coming in vs some one who's got a learning curve.

But its ironic to see people in these job scream about govt spending when their very livelihood relies on the spending they gripe about.

Nother person I knew had a long time career at Livermore Labs.......another career that was made possible by government funding yet he was a fiscal conservative type (not the drooling republican of today :cheers:

Outside of a few things, the world the USA was born into has long since vanished and so has the simplistic way government of old used to be. Don't forget, the original USA wasn't planned to have a "standing professional army" - that's the reason for the 2nd Amendment, so the populace could jump to AID the government in time of need, not to fight the government like some gun fetishits have warped it into.

I see your point.  Yes, there is an eye of the beholder viewpoint, but it's not really ironic if say a park ranger thinks that building tanks the Army already said they didn't need to keep a town alive is ridiculous, it's an observation.  Perhaps there is more context that can be added to clarify the point, but as it was but one blip on his post, it may not be worth the extended effort and the reader can probably glean the intent based on some of the things we have heard about in regards to spending.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I see your point.  Yes, there is an eye of the beholder viewpoint, but it's not really ironic if say a park ranger thinks that building tanks the Army already said they didn't need to keep a town alive is ridiculous, it's an observation.  Perhaps there is more context that can be added to clarify the point, but as it was but one blip on his post, it may not be worth the extended effort and the reader can probably glean the intent based on some of the things we have heard about in regards to spending.

Obviously inside an office, business or operation, the people there could probably point to specific things that could be deemed wasteful, from use of pens & office stationery down to software & IT issues (See how outdated many US Govt computer systems are) 

And it's not just pitting the National Park Service vs Nasa or the Nevada National Security Site vs the contract to pave I-90 in Montana - Govt spending is so vast that really no one can pinpoint wasted spending other than those who despise the welfare & programs that actually help people survive...................the welfare check goes right into the local economy just as the contract provided paycheck for an employee a Lockheed Martin who's working on some new fangled aerodynamics 

Basically if some "fiscal conservatives" got their wish & sucked all the govt spending out of the economy, this country would be gonged into a massive depression 

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Obviously inside an office, business or operation, the people there could probably point to specific things that could be deemed wasteful, from use of pens & office stationery down to software & IT issues (See how outdated many US Govt computer systems are) 

And it's not just pitting the National Park Service vs Nasa or the Nevada National Security Site vs the contract to pave I-90 in Montana - Govt spending is so vast that really no one can pinpoint wasted spending other than those who despise the welfare & programs that actually help people survive...................the welfare check goes right into the local economy just as the contract provided paycheck for an employee a Lockheed Martin who's working on some new fangled aerodynamics 

Basically if some "fiscal conservatives" got their wish & sucked all the govt spending out of the economy, this country would be gonged into a massive depression 

Fiscal conservatives don't exist, and it is quite rare to get anyone to say they want all govt spending out of the economy.  So long as there is a need for military and infrastructure, federal spending is required.  Now, could we discuss if the feds need to be as heavily involved in state or private economies?  Rational discussion and logic can come out of that, but how I read sean's point is that politico makes it absolutely impossible to do so.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Fiscal conservatives don't exist, and it is quite rare to get anyone to say they want all govt spending out of the economy.  So long as there is a need for military and infrastructure, federal spending is required.  Now, could we discuss if the feds need to be as heavily involved in state or private economies?  Rational discussion and logic can come out of that, but how I read sean's point is that politico makes it absolutely impossible to do so.

That's why that one fighter jet always got funded, even by "fiscal hawks" because parts of that aircraft were made all over the country & those jobs were important in 200+ congressional districts

One of the most massive federal expenses was the Interstate Highway system which Ike got because he saw it as a defense project as much as a civic infrastructure project.........there's a thing that the founders of this country could have never anticipated much less the 20th century tech boom from planes to air travel 

Even in the 70's when the USa closed some air force & army bases, there was public fretting because that sucked big $$ out of local economies.............govt was doing the "trimming the fat" but tell that to some small town that relied on "name military operation here" to keep the local economy afloat 

10 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Grover Norquist, who's main thing is shrinking govt to 1800 era status, is purely a fiscal tightwad.............but where he was a voice in republican policy back a decade ago, these days his type have been buried by the 1930's Germany era fanaticism that has hijacked the party thanks to trump even to the anti-communist fervor that Nazi's expressed in the last century which is why the GOP is always screaming "socialism" (which isn't communism) but their drooling fan base is too stupid to discern 

Another similarity is the love of building the military - trump & Adolph were pretty close on that issue