Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Love was in the air. Such love. 1 million loving people.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Obviously inside an office, business or operation, the people there could probably point to specific things that could be deemed wasteful, from use of pens & office stationery down to software & IT issues (See how outdated many US Govt computer systems are) 

And it's not just pitting the National Park Service vs Nasa or the Nevada National Security Site vs the contract to pave I-90 in Montana - Govt spending is so vast that really no one can pinpoint wasted spending other than those who despise the welfare & programs that actually help people survive...................the welfare check goes right into the local economy just as the contract provided paycheck for an employee a Lockheed Martin who's working on some new fangled aerodynamics 

Basically if some "fiscal conservatives" got their wish & sucked all the govt spending out of the economy, this country would be gonged into a massive depression 

@East Coast Aztecand I have witnessed the waste on the DOD side first hand. Everything from having to bury ammo because the ammunition supply point doesn’t want it back, to abandoning equipment when we leave. See Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia. The biggest form of waste come at the end of every fiscal year when we had to buy bullshit in order to spend the money allocated for that year. We could save buttloads of money by rolling over unspent funds to the next year, or by just putting it back into the Treasury.

On and the Contractor side there is a crazy amount of fraud, waste, and abuse which I have had the displeasure of witnessing first hand. Some is on the Contractor and some is on the Govt. Our weapons and equipment programs should never cost what they do. The Govt allows companies to underbid contracts knowing full well there is no way in hell they can do what they promised without serious cost overruns and missed deadlines. Companies take full advantage of this problem to their benefit. Another issue is the Govt will drop new requirements on a program midstream, and again the companies take advantage of the situation. 
The cancellation of programs is another area full of waste. The Govt will pay the contractor all outstanding funds when a program gets canceled, some contracts have language that allows the company to make more money if the program gets cut. Those are just a few examples. I’m sure this isn’t just a DOD thing either. We have to find a way to put an end to thing like this, but no one has the will to do it.

6 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Man, if I could have all that tossed out ammo.  And all those generators left behind, and how beneficial they could have been for FEMA after Irma/Maria in FL, USVI and PR.  But not to worry, Taliban has gotten their hands on the stuff in Afghanistan.  :facepalm:

If we could get a handle on that crap alone we could save serious money.

@UNLV2001, I’m not one of those that wants to see programs that benefit the poor or elderly cut. I just want the waste we know we can cut taken care of. The majority of that comes from DOD.

3 minutes ago, sean327 said:

@UNLV2001, I’m not one of those that wants to see programs that benefit the poor or elderly cut. I just want the waste we know we can cut taken care of. The majority of that comes from DOD.

Whoever kept sending equipment over that wasn't needed, and then not allowing cannibalization of parts until it got to depot level maintenance, they should be fired and that logic should be reversed.  I understand logistical costs, but we should return highly functioning equipment back.  It was crazy to see some of the great condition equipment that was never going to make its way back because it was "cheaper to leave it".  I can't help but believe there was someone in the room guiding that decision with a lot of money to be made to do that.  And end of fiscal year spending in order to keep the budgets up is simply ridiculous.  Don't punish agencies for cost-savings by slashing future budgets for doing the right thing.  

28 minutes ago, sean327 said:

The DOD is about half of discretionary spending.  If you just fixed the waste in the DOD you would make a big dent in spending...

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/56326

The sequester signed by Obama might well have forced some of that waste cutting to occur but sadly the Republicans shelved it.  Hard to take any deficit talk from them seriously anymore.  

@East Coast Aztec, @sactowndog, @UNLV2001

I have a good example of how we saved the Marine Corps $80, 000 a year.

We use LAU 7 flares and Smokey Sam Rockets to simulate missile launches when we engage aircraft for training. In the past we would draw 20 flares and 20 rockets for every training event. If we didn’t use them all during that event we had to fire the rest off because the Issue Point wouldn’t take the unused ordnance back.  7 years ago we found a serviceable 5’x 5’ ordnance locker at DRMO. We snagged it, got it recertified, put it out on our compound, so now we can put our unused stuff away to use for the next event. I know $80,000 is just a drop in the bucket, but we figured out an easy way to quit wasting resources. We’ve saved the Marine Corps $560,000 over the last seven years. 
Every quarter I scrub the DRMO Lists coming from the other ranges. I’ve found a ton of stuff that we’ve been able to use without spending a dime. Anything from tools and toolboxes to test equipment. Am I tilting windmills? Probably, but I’m trying to do something.

16 minutes ago, sean327 said:

@East Coast Aztec, @sactowndog, @UNLV2001

I have a good example of how we saved the Marine Corps $80, 000 a year.

We use LAU 7 flares and Smokey Sam Rockets to simulate missile launches when we engage aircraft for training. In the past we would draw 20 flares and 20 rockets for every training event. If we didn’t use them all during that event we had to fire the rest off because the Issue Point wouldn’t take the unused ordnance back.  7 years ago we found a serviceable 5’x 5’ ordnance locker at DRMO. We snagged it, got it recertified, put it out on our compound, so now we can put our unused stuff away to use for the next event. I know $80,000 is just a drop in the bucket, but we figured out an easy way to quit wasting resources. We’ve saved the Marine Corps $560,000 over the last seven years. 
Every quarter I scrub the DRMO Lists coming from the other ranges. I’ve found a ton of stuff that we’ve been able to use without spending a dime. Anything from tools and toolboxes to test equipment. Am I tilting windmills? Probably, but I’m trying to do something.

Yep it’s real money.  If it were me I would put in a program were government employees could submit ideas or actions to save money and they could keep 25% of the savings.  In your case, $145,000 would have gone in your pocket.   

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yep it’s real money.  If it were me I would put in a program were government employees could submit ideas or actions to save money and they could keep 25% of the savings.  In your case, $145,000 would have gone in your pocket.   

There is such a program, but it’s a pain in the ass to navigate. I think it’s made that way on purpose. 

1 hour ago, sean327 said:

There is such a program, but it’s a pain in the ass to navigate. I think it’s made that way on purpose. 

Wonder how much armament waste is just the nature of what to do with it if not used and maybe has a shelf life or becomes obsolete over time - Like computer systems, they constantly need updating & replacing