Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Mwc basketball talk roster break down

10 hours ago, wyo 1 said:

I agree with this, but I really don’t believe losing Williams is going to be that big of a deal. I know he was FOY but the last month of season, I think he was the 3rd best freshman on our team behind DeSell and Ike. He can score get his own shot, but when things aren’t going just right for him, he pouted a lot and that’s why Linder set him down quite a bit late in the year.

I’m real excited to see what Dut brings and the progress I hear Ike is making this off season.

I think losing X Dusell would have been a bigger loss imo then Williams.  He improved so much over the course of the season and had a ton of confidence going into the tourney. He also call Linder the smartest coach in the country, so there's that.

10 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I would have been a lot more excited about the upcoming season if Marcus Williams stuck around, but I guess that's the nature of today's game. Oh well.

Wyoming returns everyone else, and Linder showed enough promise in year 1 to make me think he'll continue to develop the guys and also have 1-2 newcomers become breakout guys with important roles. Not to mention, the current style of play is a lot more fun to watch as a fan, regardless of the final score.

We still have Maldonado, who seems to be entering his 9th season. Unlike previous years where we had a single star veteran (Josh Adams, Justin James), there is a pretty good supporting group on this roster. 

Xavier Dusell is a solid defender and excellent shooter, who I imagine will take on some additional PG duties without Williams.

Graham Ike settled into a very good post player on both ends despite starting the year still in ACL rehab mode. I'm excited to see what he looks like with a complete off-season.

Kenny Foster is a wing who can play multiple positions who is stronger and more athletic than people realize, which I guess comes with the territory of being a pale red-head. He missed a lot of time last year with a knee injury,but he's got the skills to be a steady contributor.

Jeremiah Oden and Hunter Thompson provide front court depth, and I'll be excited to see if Eoin Nelson (aka the big shamrock) can carve out a role.

Backcourt depth seems a bit more thin/unproven. Drake Jeffries can't make his own shot but is reliable from 3 when open. We do have a lot of newcomers listed at Guard on the roster, including Utah transfer Wenzel. I've also heard very good things about incoming JC transfer Deng Dut.

Also it looks like we have our own Chet Holmgren in 7' 185 lbs. Nate Barnhart coming in this year. Hope he uses his unlimited meal plan.

Wyoming showed flashes of an improving team last year and I don't see a reason why they can't continue that trajectory. I think a top-5 finish is a lofty but attainable goal. But hopefully football season goes well enough that I don't think about basketball until Christmas.

Great synopsis!  All in on football season so hope you are right.

3 hours ago, gold-n-brown said:

I think losing X Dusell would have been a bigger loss imo then Williams.  He improved so much over the course of the season and had a ton of confidence going into the tourney. He also call Linder the smartest coach in the country, so there's that.

Great synopsis!  All in on football season so hope you are right.

He'll do well in the corporate world when this is all said and done.  B)

17 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Uhhh that's some strange mental gymnastics to spin the fact that Alston had to straight-up CARRY Boise on his back in many games when the rest of the team would pucker up and fall into these weird offensive lulls. 12.6 FGA on 44% shooting is nowhere close 'ballhog' status. (In comparison UNLV's Bryce Hamilton was 17 FGA on 43%.) Can't blame Alston when the rest of the team disappears, kid was an alpha dog warrior and Boise St is going to miss that mentality unless someone else steps up.

He carried the team in early season games and went somewhere mentally late in the season so fans remember the late..   But Boise could be better because all 5 starters are likely to be transfers who will improve their second season together.  And if he's 100% healthy, the alpha male is Kigab.

On 7/11/2021 at 8:57 AM, UofNPackFan said:

I think BSU will be better without Alston.  Sometimes 1 player is to good and ruins chemistry when that one player is having a bad to mediocre game. Sometimes bad shots are taking just to get a rhythm going. Run killer IMO. 

This he had the most atrocious shot selection of any player I've watched.

19 hours ago, Jalex4141 said:

I agree with this. BSU fans extremely hard on their first team all MW player. If we dont get perfection every game we start complaining. Drives me crazy. Carried the team all those games when others didn't show.  I guess the heyday of the football team spoiled us so that nothing short of perfection is good enough. Kind of like UNLV and tark basketball. 

Alston scored. He would put up numbers when he got hot.  But the issue was when we need a bucket or are in a slump and he shoots 34 ft three misses, next trip 32 ft three, miss, next trip 35 ft three, miss.  It killed any chance of stopping the bleeding and killed any momentum we would have at times as well.  Shot selection was utterly atrocious from a guy with a massive wing span that can get to the hoop when he wants, but instead chooses to launch bricks from 34 ft.  He was a stat filler, but a very low IQ player.

*DEEP BREATH* "Alston was overrated" *EXHALE* "Rice will coach a much better 'team' without Alston's scoring" *INHALE* "Alston was a selfish ballhog even though he was an efficient 17 ppg scorer on 12 FGA on 44% shooting"

image.png.ea955b029387290d6e3a78d810bb135c.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 7/11/2021 at 11:13 AM, SDSUfan said:

You are seldom better when you lose your best player.

I’m a bit of a contrarian on Alston. I’m not convinced he was our best player. Remember Anthony Drmic from Australia a few years back? He was unquestionably BSU’s best player. Never took a play off. Almost never had an awful game. Alston was hot or cold. He often pouted when things went south. He got in his own head. I actually think the Broncos will be better without him.

5 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

*DEEP BREATH* "Alston was overrated" *EXHALE* "Rice will coach a much better 'team' without Alston's scoring" *INHALE* "Alston was a selfish ballhog even though he was an efficient 17 ppg scorer on 12 FGA on 44% shooting"

The dude's replacing his scoring will be:

Kigab: 12 ppg on 9 attempts at 47%

Doutrive: 9 ppg on 6 attempts at 48%

Shaver: 11 ppg on 8 attempts at 44% (and 40% on threes vs. Alston's 38%)

---

Boise was #2 in scoring offense in the MW and #3 for scoring defense last year.  They won't see much if any a drop-off on offense if the team stays healthy, and defense will get better.

Also I like RJ Keene's game.  He could play as a true freshman and reminds me of a right handed version of Jessup.

20 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

We added Josh Davis. That was a major addition. 

1) Your point is still wrong. Teams can lose their best player and get better...as pointed out. 

2) And I'm sorry, losing the conference POTY (and 2nd leading scorer) for a 10 ppg is SO far away from a "major addition". That is about as big a reach as I've seen on this board... and that's saying A LOT. 

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

---

Boise was #2 in scoring offense in the MW and #3 for scoring defense last year.  They won't see much if any a drop-off on offense if the team stays healthy, and defense will get better.

Also I like RJ Keene's game.  He could play as a true freshman and reminds me of a right handed version of Jessup.

Yeah, Alston was a defensive liability. This year's starting five should be strong defensively 

54 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

---

On the flipside, their offensive production could be less efficient as a result of not getting as many quality looks as a result of team's game planning primarily against Alston. I think he elevated his teammates.

Boise St will be fine next season, they're just more of a at-large contender w/ Alston than without. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

7 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

On the flipside, their offensive production could be less efficient as a result of not getting as many quality looks as a result of team's game planning primarily against Alston. I think he elevated his teammates.

Boise St will be fine next season, they're just more of a at-large contender w/ Alston than without. 

Yeah, there are certainly safer bets. Despite the losses, SDSU should always be considered in the mix. UNR and CSU look really strong. I like what Boise has coming back. We'll see how it plays out, but they are Dance capable 

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, there are certainly safer bets. Despite the losses, SDSU should always be considered in the mix. UNR and CSU look really strong. I like what Boise has coming back. We'll see how it plays out, but they are Dance capable 

and UNLV!!

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

4 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Either that or Max Rice will shoot 8 thirty footers per game (at about 33%) and that will be our offense.

Max needs to be a 40% 3 guy and a 7-8 ppg guy for Boise to be successful

49 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

1) Your point is still wrong. Teams can lose their best player and get better...as pointed out. 

2) And I'm sorry, losing the conference POTY (and 2nd leading scorer) for a 10 ppg is SO far away from a "major addition". That is about as big a reach as I've seen on this board... and that's saying A LOT. 

That team didn't get better because J Frank left.  They got better because that got an inside presence in the form of Josh Davis. The year before, our 6'4" shooting guard ( J.Frank) led the team in rebounds. Fish had to play two freshmen ( Spencer and Shepard) a ton of minutes jut to get some kind of post game.  If J Frank had stuck around, that team likely would have gone past the S-16.. It's silly to suggest that losing your best player will make your team better.  The team might get better but it won't be because you lost a good player.  You imply that the young man was somehow holding the team back, which is nonsense

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

That team didn't get better because J Frank left.  They got better because that got an inside presence in the form of Josh Davis. The year before, our 6'4" shooting guard ( J.Frank) led the team in rebounds. Fish had to play two freshmen ( Spencer and Shepard) a ton of minutes jut to get some kind of post game.  If J Frank had stuck around, that team likely would have gone past the S-16.. It's silly to suggest that losing your best player will make your team better.  The team might get better but it won't be because you lost a good player.  You imply that the young man was somehow holding the team back, which is nonsense

Like I previously said we watched him every game. You probably saw his good games. I think Alston was one of the most over hyped players ever at Boise State. What he occasionally provided in offense he made up for with lousy defense. CSUs Thistlewood had a career night being defended by Alston. I’ve never seen an athletic player like Alston be so poor on defense. We’ll be fine without him. 

12 hours ago, jewelz4562000 said:

This he had the most atrocious shot selection of any player I've watched.

I’d agree. I’ve never seen a player take so many shots five feet beyond the three point line like Alston. Part of it was he never had a true jump shot where he elevated over his defender. As a result he was open from 25-30 feet and would take far too many of those shots. He was definitely no Steph Curry. 

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Yeah but... they got better after losing their best player... that's the point. 

Look, I knew the reasons would come flying out... none of it changes your original statement being inaccurate. It does happen