Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Mwc basketball talk roster break down

Boise State Lineup: 

Post- Armus, Milner, B. Smith

PF- Kijab, N. Smith

SF- Akot, Pryor, Keene or Degenhart

2G- Doutrive, Rice

PG- Shaver, Akot, Kuzmanovic

Possible Redshirts: True freshmen Degenhart, Keene, and Young (one or two will likely play)

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Boise State Lineup: 

Post- Armus, Milner, B. Smith

PF- Kijab, N. Smith

SF- Akot, Pryor, Keene or Degenhart

2G- Doutrive, Rice

PG- Shaver, Akot, Kuzmanovic

Possible Redshirts: True freshmen Degenhart, Keene, and Young (one or two will likely play)

Looks like boise returns most of the roster minus Alston should be competitive 

7 hours ago, fbpack said:

Looks like boise returns most of the roster minus Alston should be competitive 

I think BSU will be better without Alston.  Sometimes 1 player is to good and ruins chemistry when that one player is having a bad to mediocre game. Sometimes bad shots are taking just to get a rhythm going. Run killer IMO. 

We lose Mitchell, Shakel and Gomez. Addition by subtraction with Gomez leaving. He was a defensive liability, a bit of a malcontent and couldn't get a shot  up when it counted.

We add Matt Bradley, a 6'4" 235lb swing man from Cal who averaged 18/gm and shot 40%+ from the arc. Rated the 5th overall transfer.

We added Chad Baker, small forward from Duquesne, 6’7, 190 lbs, shot 41% from the arc. He's supposed to be really good but I'm a wait and see guy and I've never seen him play.

We added Tahirou Diabate, a graduate senior from Portland. 6’9″, 225 lb, Sat out last year. He's a role player off the bench and insurance if Nathan Mensah has issues.

Demarshay Johnson Jr, a 6' 10" kid is our only incoming freshman.

So, we look like this:

PG - Trey Pulliam/ Lamont Butler

SG- Matt Bradley/ Seiko/ Dinwiddie

Forwards- Keshad Johnson/Chad Baker/ Aguek Arop/Che Evans

Bigs- Nate Mensah, Joshua Tomiac, Diabate and Demarshay Johnson Jr.

Starters ( mileage may vary )

Trey Pulliam ( quietly hoping Lamont Butler does enough to get the lead role)

Matt Bradley

Chad Baker

Keshad Johnson ( some think it will be Arop, but he has had some real health challenges -vertigo-which caused him to miss a bunch of games.)

Nate Mensah

What we are relying on:

1. Matt Bradley- enough said.

2. Keshad stepping up.  He has a NBA body and athleticism and has shown flashes. He'll need to step up and show he can contribute with more minutes and opportunity.

3. Chad Baker being as good as everyone says..... or....Che Evans being as good as he was billed when we recruited him ( everyone is just guessing on either of these)

4. Pulliam AND Butler improving their perimeter game.  Both are good to very good PG's. Both can run the offense, dish and get to the rack. Neither is a threat from the outside.

4a. Pulliam finishing better.  That running floater in the lane is just ugly IMO. It's a shot borne from a lack of confidence,

5. Nate Mensah living up to his potential, staying on the floor and taking on a leadership role. We have some options in Tomiac and Diabate. Never seen Diabate play but he started a bunch of D1 games for a bad Portland squad. Tomiac is serviceable off the bench and knows his role but Nate needs to the The Guy

6. A healthy Arop

7. Keith Dinwiddie getting meaningful minutes

Summary

Overall, we're big, deep, talented and senior laden with 2 super seniors ( Pulliam, Tomiac), three regular seniors ( Mensah, Arop, Seiko) and a grad transfer ( Diabate).  We have some youth and potential with Butler, Dinwiddie, Evans, and D. Johnson Jr. ,  a true big time proven transfer ( Bradley) and a burgeoning big time player ( Keshad).

I think the rest of the conference will be chasing us again this year but the wonderful/ awful thing about CBB is you just never know. Kids AND teams get better...and worse.. over the summer, transfers, recruits, coaching changes etc.  Here's to hoping EVERYONE gets better and steps up in non conference.

We also added Jaedon Ledee, , a big 6'9" kid from TCU. He'll red shirt this year. Former 4-star whatever that's worth, other than impressing guys like ph.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

I think BSU will be better without Alston.  Sometimes 1 player is to good and ruins chemistry when that one player is having a bad to mediocre game. Sometimes bad shots are taking just to get a rhythm going. Run killer IMO. 

You are seldom better when you lose your best player.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I would have been a lot more excited about the upcoming season if Marcus Williams stuck around, but I guess that's the nature of today's game. Oh well.

Wyoming returns everyone else, and Linder showed enough promise in year 1 to make me think he'll continue to develop the guys and also have 1-2 newcomers become breakout guys with important roles. Not to mention, the current style of play is a lot more fun to watch as a fan, regardless of the final score.

We still have Maldonado, who seems to be entering his 9th season. Unlike previous years where we had a single star veteran (Josh Adams, Justin James), there is a pretty good supporting group on this roster. 

Xavier Dusell is a solid defender and excellent shooter, who I imagine will take on some additional PG duties without Williams.

Graham Ike settled into a very good post player on both ends despite starting the year still in ACL rehab mode. I'm excited to see what he looks like with a complete off-season.

Kenny Foster is a wing who can play multiple positions who is stronger and more athletic than people realize, which I guess comes with the territory of being a pale red-head. He missed a lot of time last year with a knee injury,but he's got the skills to be a steady contributor.

Jeremiah Oden and Hunter Thompson provide front court depth, and I'll be excited to see if Eoin Nelson (aka the big shamrock) can carve out a role.

Backcourt depth seems a bit more thin/unproven. Drake Jeffries can't make his own shot but is reliable from 3 when open. We do have a lot of newcomers listed at Guard on the roster, including Utah transfer Wenzel. I've also heard very good things about incoming JC transfer Deng Dut.

Also it looks like we have our own Chet Holmgren in 7' 185 lbs. Nate Barnhart coming in this year. Hope he uses his unlimited meal plan.

Wyoming showed flashes of an improving team last year and I don't see a reason why they can't continue that trajectory. I think a top-5 finish is a lofty but attainable goal. But hopefully football season goes well enough that I don't think about basketball until Christmas.

23 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I would have been a lot more excited about the upcoming season if Marcus Williams stuck around, but I guess that's the nature of today's game. Oh well.

Wyoming returns everyone else, and Linder showed enough promise in year 1 to make me think he'll continue to develop the guys and also have 1-2 newcomers become breakout guys with important roles. Not to mention, the current style of play is a lot more fun to watch as a fan, regardless of the final score.

We still have Maldonado, who seems to be entering his 9th season. Unlike previous years where we had a single star veteran (Josh Adams, Justin James), there is a pretty good supporting group on this roster. 

Xavier Dusell is a solid defender and excellent shooter, who I imagine will take on some additional PG duties without Williams.

Graham Ike settled into a very good post player on both ends despite starting the year still in ACL rehab mode. I'm excited to see what he looks like with a complete off-season.

Kenny Foster is a wing who can play multiple positions who is stronger and more athletic than people realize, which I guess comes with the territory of being a pale red-head. He missed a lot of time last year with a knee injury,but he's got the skills to be a steady contributor.

Jeremiah Oden and Hunter Thompson provide front court depth, and I'll be excited to see if Eoin Nelson (aka the big shamrock) can carve out a role.

Backcourt depth seems a bit more thin/unproven. Drake Jeffries can't make his own shot but is reliable from 3 when open. We do have a lot of newcomers listed at Guard on the roster, including Utah transfer Wenzel. I've also heard very good things about incoming JC transfer Deng Dut.

Also it looks like we have our own Chet Holmgren in 7' 185 lbs. Nate Barnhart coming in this year. Hope he uses his unlimited meal plan.

Wyoming showed flashes of an improving team last year and I don't see a reason why they can't continue that trajectory. I think a top-5 finish is a lofty but attainable goal. But hopefully football season goes well enough that I don't think about basketball until Christmas.

I agree with this, but I really don’t believe losing Williams is going to be that big of a deal. I know he was FOY but the last month of season, I think he was the 3rd best freshman on our team behind DuSell and Ike. He can score get his own shot, but when things aren’t going just right for him, he pouted a lot and that’s why Linder set him down quite a bit late in the year.

I’m real excited to see what Dut brings and the progress I hear Ike is making this off season.

The Pack has known quantities and and things we can't tell yet..

The Known:

They return all 5 starters from last year.

Sheffield

Cambridge

Coleman

Foster

Washington

Plus 3 other returners. Hymes who is an experienced backup..Husseinovich and Henry who did not play much..

UnKnowns:

AJ Bramah is a 6'7 transfer forward from Robert Morris.  He was extremely productive over 12 games last year in the Horizon League.   How that translates to the MW is a key question

Kenon Blackshear is also 6'7 but he is a guard.  He was a starter at FAU and looks to be a rotation guy for the Pack

Wild Card:

Will Baker a 7 foot F/C who transferred from Texas.  Very highly regarded out of high school but was not productive for Texas as a frosh.  He has a high ceiling if Alford can get him straightened out.

Two incoming freshmen in Jalen Weaver, a 6'4 combo guard and Nick Davidson a 6'8 combo forward from Mater Dei High school.

The roster is more experienced than last season with 6 upperclassmen and 7 underclassmen.  Both look good  but may not play much..

2 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

Uhhh that's some strange mental gymnastics to spin the fact that Alston had to straight-up CARRY Boise on his back in many games when the rest of the team would pucker up and fall into these weird offensive lulls. 12.6 FGA on 44% shooting is nowhere close 'ballhog' status. (In comparison UNLV's Bryce Hamilton was 17 FGA on 43%.) Can't blame Alston when the rest of the team disappears, kid was an alpha dog warrior and Boise St is going to miss that mentality unless someone else steps up.

Anyways, for UNLV: I have no friggin' clue! -New year completely new team (for the 10th year in a row!):

1: Jordan McCabe/Keshon Gilbert/Coleman ---- UNLV hasn't had a pure PG since Oscar Bellfield in 2012, so it'll be fun to see McCabe and Gilbert commanding the offense

2: Mike Nuga/Josh Baker--- Nuga put up 18ppg at Kent St, will be an upgrade over David Jenkins Jr, has the 3pt stroke but can also drive to the hoop. Baker is a 50% 3pt shooter. 

3: Bryce Hamilton/Donovan Williams ---These two on the wings is where most of our scoring will come from. 

4: Royce Hamm/Victor Iwuakor- rim protectors and rebounders at Oklahoma and Texas. Will need to develop their offensive skillset. 

5: David Muoka/James Hampshire--- hopefully these guys can clog up the post atleast as good as Ding Dong. Only position UNLV likely took a clear step back. 

UNLV's roster is made-up primarily of BIG-12 bench rotational guys where we'll just to have to wait and see how that translates to starter MWC minutes. Hamm/Iwuakor/Williams are junkyard dawgs around the rim, with those guys alone we'll be much more athletic across the board than last season. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

We lose Mitchell, Shakel and Gomez. Addition by subtraction with Gomez leaving. He was a defensive liability, a bit of a malcontent and couldn't get a shot  up when it counted.

We add Matt Bradley, a 6'4" 235lb swing man from Cal who averaged 18/gm and shot 40%+ from the arc. Rated the 5th overall transfer.

We added Chad Baker, small forward from Duquesne, 6’7, 190 lbs, shot 41% from the arc. He's supposed to be really good but I'm a wait and see guy and I've never seen him play.

We added Tahirou Diabate, a graduate senior from Portland. 6’9″, 225 lb, Sat out last year. He's a role player off the bench and insurance if Nathan Mensah has issues.

Demarshay Johnson Jr, a 6' 10" kid is our only incoming freshman.

So, we look like this:

PG - Trey Pulliam/ Lamont Butler

SG- Matt Bradley/ Seiko/ Dinwiddie

Forwards- Keshad Johnson/Chad Baker/ Aguek Arop/Che Evans

Bigs- Nate Mensah, Joshua Tomiac, Diabate and Demarshay Johnson Jr.

Starters ( mileage may vary )

Trey Pulliam ( quietly hoping Lamont Butler does enough to get the lead role)

Matt Bradley

Chad Baker

Keshad Johnson ( some think it will be Arop, but he has had some real health challenges -vertigo-which caused him to miss a bunch of games.)

Nate Mensah

What we are relying on:

1. Matt Bradley- enough said.

2. Keshad stepping up.  He has a NBA body and athleticism and has shown flashes. He'll need to step up and show he can contribute with more minutes and opportunity.

3. Chad Baker being as good as everyone says..... or....Che Evans being as good as he was billed when we recruited him ( everyone is just guessing on either of these)

4. Pulliam AND Butler improving their perimeter game.  Both are good to very good PG's. Both can run the offense, dish and get to the rack. Neither is a threat from the outside.

4a. Pulliam finishing better.  That running floater in the lane is just ugly IMO. It's a shot borne from a lack of confidence,

5. Nate Mensah living up to his potential, staying on the floor and taking on a leadership role. We have some options in Tomiac and Diabate. Never seen Diabate play but he started a bunch of D1 games for a bad Portland squad. Tomiac is serviceable off the bench and knows his role but Nate needs to the The Guy

6. A healthy Arop

7. Keith Dinwiddie getting meaningful minutes

Summary

Overall, we're big, deep, talented and senior laden with 2 super seniors ( Pulliam, Tomiac), three regular seniors ( Mensah, Arop, Seiko) and a grad transfer ( Diabate).  We have some youth and potential with Butler, Dinwiddie, Evans, and D. Johnson Jr. ,  a true big time proven transfer ( Bradley) and a burgeoning big time player ( Keshad).

I think the rest of the conference will be chasing us again this year but the wonderful/ awful thing about CBB is you just never know. Kids AND teams get better...and worse.. over the summer, transfers, recruits, coaching changes etc.  Here's to hoping EVERYONE gets better and steps up in non conference.

We also added Jaedon Ledee, , a big 6'9" kid from TCU. He'll red shirt this year. Former 4-star whatever that's worth, other than impressing guys like ph.

We're freakin loaded this year. It's going to be a fun season, and I can't wait to get back into the arena for games.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

16 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Uhhh that's some strange mental gymnastics to spin the fact that Alston had to straight-up CARRY Boise on his back in many games when the rest of the team would pucker up and fall into these weird offensive lulls. 12.6 FGA on 44% shooting is nowhere close 'ballhog' status. (In comparison UNLV's Bryce Hamilton was 17 FGA on 43%.) Can't blame Alston when the rest of the team disappears, kid was an alpha dog warrior and Boise St is going to miss that mentality unless someone else steps up.

I agree with this. BSU fans extremely hard on their first team all MW player. If we dont get perfection every game we start complaining. Drives me crazy. Carried the team all those games when others didn't show.  I guess the heyday of the football team spoiled us so that nothing short of perfection is good enough. Kind of like UNLV and tark basketball. 

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

You are seldom better when you lose your best player.

SDSU lost MW POTY Jamaal Franklin (also their 2nd leading scorer, Tapley) and went from a tie for 4th (in a 9 team conference) to 1st and a top-15 team without any major additions to the team. There is a reason why the term "addition by subtraction' exists... in fact, you used it in your post right before this one. 

Alston was a good player, but there is plenty of scorers on the team to make that up. Also, Shaver, Armus, Akot, and Doutrive all were new and had a shortened season to figure out their roles (w/ Doutrive entering in the middle of the season). I have no idea if they'll be better, but their starting 5 will compete with any starting 5 in the league.

5 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

I think it'll help that the entire team has now played together. Last year the giant bulk of the team hadn't played with each other outside of practice. A shortened season didn't help that, either.

The starting 5 is pretty well set:

Akot
Shaver
Doutrive
Kigab
Armus

That 5 is rock solid. All were, basically, double digit scorers last year (or close to it). With Alston gone, they should all hit the double digit mark. It should be much more balanced scoring this season. The bench does change this year. Last year they had a Doutrive or a Shaver coming off the bench where there was no loss in production. The likely first three off the bench will be Rice, Milner, and Naje. All are decent bench players, but definitely a step down from the starters. 

They had four RSFR last year and three trFR this year. I don't see any of the '20 class contributing. Burke Smith might develop down the road as a big. Kesean Pryor is a Hutch/Alston type. A long athletic wing who hasn't filled into his body yet. He might develop down the road, as well. The two in the '21 class I feel have a better chance of getting some PT. RJ Keene is the more celebrated recruit. He's a long wing and might find some minutes. The one I feel has the best chance to contribute committed to Boise early and was lightly recruited. Tyson Degenhart is a stretch 4 that was the Washington POTY. He can rebound and guard bigs, so he might find a role on the team. Guard Kobe Young was a late add and look intriguing. 

CSU lost PJ Byrd to the portal, but gained grad transfer Chandler Jacobs and Sophomore Baylor Hebb through the portal.  Certainly not addition by subtraction, but Jacobs has the potential (and likelihood IMO) to start right away.  I think Hebb was brought in for immediate depth and future starting potential.  Also picked up some very promising frosh, and we'll have to see where they fit in.

I really can't predict the starting roster with the addition of Jacobs, and am hoping that @Swoll Cracker decides to weigh in with his greater BB wisdom.

I'm certain that we'll see Isaiah Stevens and David Roddy in the starting 5.  After that it gets a little murky due to options.  Either Moore steps back to make room for Jacobs, or we go to a three guard rotation and Thistlewood comes off of the bench.  We have three bigs in the post this year, and I don't see a starting 5 not including one of them, but who knows.  It might depend on how much each develops in the off season.  With two new coaches I think there will be a lot of chemistry needing developed.  I really think we've got a situation where we have 7 starters (possibly 8 with Tonje) and it's going to come down to how they want to arrange all the parts.  The coaches may have already worked that out, or they may not know till conference starts.  Hell, it could change situationally. 

It's gonna' be fun to find out.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

CSU lost PJ Byrd to the portal, but gained grad transfer Chandler Jacobs and Sophomore Baylor Hebb through the portal.  Certainly not addition by subtraction, but Jacobs has the potential (and likelihood IMO) to start right away.  I think Hebb was brought in for immediate depth and future starting potential.  Also picked up some very promising frosh, and we'll have to see where they fit in.

I really can't predict the starting roster with the addition of Jacobs, and am hoping that @Swoll Cracker decides to weigh in with his greater BB wisdom.

I'm certain that we'll see Isaiah Stevens and David Roddy in the starting 5.  After that it gets a little murky due to options.  Either Moore steps back to make room for Jacobs, or we go to a three guard rotation and Thistlewood comes off of the bench.  We have three bigs in the post this year, and I don't see a starting 5 not including one of them, but who knows.  It might depend on how much each develops in the off season.  With two new coaches I think there will be a lot of chemistry needing developed.  I really think we've got a situation where we have 7 starters (possibly 8 with Tonje) and it's going to come down to how they want to arrange all the parts.  The coaches may have already worked that out, or they may not know till conference starts.  Hell, it could change situationally. 

It's gonna' be fun to find out.

Too early for me to comment with any real intelligence. I havent had a chance to see the new guys practice. Obviously Isaiah Stevens and David Roddy will continue to lead the way; what excites me about them is that they are both humble hard-working players so I expect to see improvement after the off-season workouts with a top trainer in Dallas-Fort Worth.  How newcomer Chandler Jacobs fits is still uncertain. He could start in place of Kendle Moore or maybe come off the bench; regardless, he will add a lot on both ends of the floor and probably be good for 25 minutes on the floor. Center James Moors has bulked up to 260 pounds and should be significantly improved; he basically sat for 2 years before playing his first season last year. One of the big x-factors will be Isaiah Rivera; staff is extremely high on him but he was hurt by lack of practice last summer and never really got integrated.  One thing that could happen - 4th year players Adam Thistlewood and Kendle Moore could see fewer minutes this season due to better depth and more flexibility to play a variety of lineups. CSU has two really good freshmen but I doubt they’ll see much of the floor with so many returning players.

I dont think the Rams will miss PJ Byrd. While he was a hustler and played hard off the bench, he was far and away CSU’s worst player in terms of advanced analytics.

Easiest lineup to predict is the one that basically started every game last season - Stevens, Moore, Roddy, Thistlewood, Moors. The only player with a chance of changing that is Chandler Jacobs in place of Moore.  Rams are deep and I expect a lot of competition for minutes off the bench.

4 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Anyways, for UNLV: I have no friggin' clue! -New year completely new team (for the 10th year in a row!):

You had me at “no friggin clue”. It’s all new in every way. 

5 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

1: Jordan McCabe/Keshon Gilbert/Coleman ---- UNLV hasn't had a pure PG since Oscar Bellfield in 2012, so it'll be fun to see McCabe and Gilbert commanding the offense

2: Mike Nuga/Josh Baker--- Nuga put up 18ppg at Kent St, will be an upgrade over David Jenkins Jr, has the 3pt stroke but can also drive to the hoop. Baker is a 50% 3pt shooter. 

3: Bryce Hamilton/Donovan Williams ---These two on the wings is where most of our scoring will come from. 

4: Royce Hamm/Victor Iwuakor- rim protectors and rebounders at Oklahoma and Texas. Will need to develop their offensive skillset. 

5: David Muoka/James Hampshire--- hopefully these guys can clog up the post atleast as good as Ding Dong. Only position UNLV likely took a clear step back. 

UNLV's roster is made-up primarily of BIG-12 bench rotational guys where we'll just to have to wait and see how that translates to starter MWC minutes. Hamm/Iwuakor/Williams are junkyard dawgs around the rim, with those guys alone we'll be much more athletic across the board than last season. 

For those of us that watched Alston every game, he was either very good or very bad. He was way over hyped. IMO Kigab was our best player not Alston. Alston either shot us in games or shot us out. He was also the worst defensive player among the starters. His lateral quickness was poor. Players would drive by him with ease. Kigab was much more consistent and also our best defender. His leadership is as important as his basketball skills. 

Akot and Doutrive sacrificed their offensive games to Alston. Both are explosive and are going to score a lot more without Alston. We should also be a much better defensive team without him. Our biggest issues are lack of a true point guard and weak perimeter shooting

6 hours ago, kingpotato said:

SDSU lost MW POTY Jamaal Franklin (also their 2nd leading scorer, Tapley) and went from a tie for 4th (in a 9 team conference) to 1st and a top-15 team without any major additions to the team. There is a reason why the term "addition by subtraction' exists... in fact, you used it in your post right before this one. 

Alston was a good player, but there is plenty of scorers on the team to make that up. Also, Shaver, Armus, Akot, and Doutrive all were new and had a shortened season to figure out their roles (w/ Doutrive entering in the middle of the season). I have no idea if they'll be better, but their starting 5 will compete with any starting 5 in the league.

We added Josh Davis. That was a major addition. 

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke