Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Boise State, Michigan State…

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

What guarantee are you referring to?  The paycheck or the W?

Rare opportunity to host a Big 10 team.  Increases the value of season tickets, rewards boosters, greater chance at a W getting them at home.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Rare opportunity to host a Big 10 team.  Increases the value of season tickets, rewards boosters, greater chance at a W getting them at home.

All true.  Doesn't answer the question.

7 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

All true.  Doesn't answer the question.

I've talked to our new poster on another board and invited him over here.  Based on prior conversations I am relaying what he meant by guaranteed.  There was a guarantee benefit in hosting MSU, only speculation the new scheduling philosophy will increase playoff chances.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I've talked to our new poster on another board and invited him over here.  Based on prior conversations I am relaying what he meant by guaranteed.  There was a guarantee benefit in hosting MSU, only speculation the new scheduling philosophy will increase playoff chances.

Fair enough.  I wasn't calling him out, just asking the question.

There are definitely guaranteed advantages to hosting MSU.  You pretty much listed them.  As for a guaranteed W?  Well that rarely exists, but...I think your chances were pretty damn good. 

I was thinking that the B1G thought so as well, and encouraged a change of plans.  Michigan State does nothing to put Ohio State into the playoffs if they lose to a G5.

Just asking where he was coming from on that statement.

New guys are always welcome.

5 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Fair enough.  I wasn't calling him out, just asking the question.

There are definitely guaranteed advantages to hosting MSU.  You pretty much listed them.  As for a guaranteed W?  Well that rarely exists, but...I think your chances were pretty damn good. 

I was thinking that the B1G thought so as well, and encouraged a change of plans.  Michigan State does nothing to put Ohio State into the playoffs if they lose to a G5.

Just asking where he was coming from on that statement.

New guys are always welcome.

Seems like Michigan and Washington and their media partners may have greased the wheel?  This allows Washington to make up their home game with Michigan they lost due to COVID.  Probably why we are getting 1.7 mil per game with Washington.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Seems like Michigan and Washington and their media partners may have greased the wheel?  This allows Washington to make up their home game with Michigan they lost due to COVID.  Probably why we are getting 1.7 mil per game with Washington.

Yeah, we get them in '25.  I haven't heard the paycheck yet.

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

Yeah, we get them in '25.  I haven't heard the paycheck yet.

I hate this move btw.  I fail to see how it impacts our playoff chances at all assuming it starts in 2023.  Instead of owing just one away game left at Michigan we owe two to Washington, which is a better program and harder place to win IMHO.

It's about the money.  That's all.  Sucks.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I hate this move btw.  I fail to see how it impacts our playoff chances at all assuming it starts in 2023.  Instead of owing just one away game left at Michigan we owe two to Washington, which is a better program and harder place to win IMHO.

It's about the money.  That's all.  Sucks.

Wait, I got sidetracked.  I was thinking you lost a game with Michigan State, not Michigan.

Which was it?

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Wait, I got sidetracked.  I was thinking you lost a game with Michigan State, not Michigan.

Which was it?

Michigan State is the game we lost.  However by changing our schedule we allowed Washington to dumb their FCS game onto us and reschedule Michigan (wolverines) for that same year.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Michigan State is the game we lost.  However by changing our schedule we allowed Washington to dumb their FCS game onto us and reschedule Michigan (wolverines) for that same year.

Got it.  My statement stands then.  You had an above average shot at MSU.  You became a pawn in the plan for the P5 to avoid embarrassment.  CSU has a fairly nice P5 schedule lined up and I'm actually waiting for the hammer to fall on a few of those.  The likely future expansion of the playoffs is going to force the P5 to change their philosophy and G5 games will be cherry picked.

We're not at huge risk.  Our big games like TX, WU, etc. are all away.  I doubt they'll be afraid of those.  Wazzu, Texas Tech, AZ, etc. will likely keep their commitments as none of them are really a big player in P5 politics.

This is the future of G5, whether you're a world beater or UTEP.  The P5 is going to become very risk averse.

11 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Got it.  My statement stands then.  You had an above average shot at MSU.  You became a pawn in the plan for the P5 to avoid embarrassment.  CSU has a fairly nice P5 schedule lined up and I'm actually waiting for the hammer to fall on a few of those.  The likely future expansion of the playoffs is going to force the P5 to change their philosophy and G5 games will be cherry picked.

We're not at huge risk.  Our big games like TX, WU, etc. are all away.  I doubt they'll be afraid of those.  Wazzu, Texas Tech, AZ, etc. will likely keep their commitments as none of them are really a big player in P5 politics.

This is the future of G5, whether you're a world beater or UTEP.  The P5 is going to become very risk averse.

Agreed with all points.  I was just hoping to lend clarification to what @DarkwingBronco mean by saying MSU was a guarantee.  Not a guarantee win, but a guaranteed game in which we have all the benefits of hosting them. 

On 7/4/2021 at 12:28 AM, Billings said:

Yet Wyo landed a home and home with Utah.

In fact we have home and homes with California, Utah, Arizona, and Texas Tech all on the books now. We also had WSU and Oregon in finished home and home schedules.

Yeah, I know. I don't have a really good reason for no BSU series in football.. After 2006, there hasn't been even a whisper of a series.  We've played them in hoops a few times. 

BSU has a nice rivalry with BYU going so Utah really doesn't matter. 

On 7/17/2021 at 1:32 PM, Joe from WY said:

You're also going to see a lot more P5 vs. P5 type games going forward too. UF, for example, who (in)famously for about 30 years+ didn't play an out of conference game outside the state of Florida, has series lined up with Miami, Utah, NC State, Notre Dame, Texas, Colorado, ASU, and Kal in addition to the ongoing FSU series that is played every year. It sucks for the G5 teams, I suppose, but it is good for the average viewer as it's going to create some compelling matchups that otherwise wouldn't have happened. The G5-P5 matchups will continue to get culled IMO. Not all of them, of course, but a lot of them will.

Also, UCF caved and agreed to a 2-1 with UF. Lmao. So big time. So much for "we'll never stoop to that"

Going to be worse for FCS teams than G5 teams.  TV money does not want to pay for those games on a P5 schedule

16 hours ago, Pelado said:

So true.

I wish.. We both know that BYU went crawling to Utah legislature a few years ago to ensure BYU stayed on our schedule.  We tried to dump you folks in both basketball and football.  

It seems there's a few folks in Provo that care quite a bit.. To the point of getting greasy/slimy former BYU grad politicians to start meaningless audits that just waste tax payer dollars. 

Utah has been your daddy since the early 90's when Mac started making the series an embarrassing lopsided affair. 

2 minutes ago, utenation said:

I wish.. We both know that BYU went crawling to Utah legislature a few years ago to ensure BYU stayed on our schedule.  We tried to dump you folks in both basketball and football.  

It seems there's a few folks in Provo that care quite a bit.. To the point of getting greasy/slimy former BYU grad politicians to start meaningless audits that just waste tax payer dollars. 

Utah has been your daddy since the early 90's when Mac started making the series an embarrassing lopsided affair. 

In the grand scheme of things, I still agree with you:

23 hours ago, utenation said:

Utah really doesn't matter. 

3 minutes ago, Pelado said:

In the grand scheme of things, I still agree with you:

It's been over a decade since BYU got a win. If I were a BYU fan, I would wish for the series to end and avoid further embarrassing disasters.  At some point, you just have to throw in the white towel. 

This year will be no different. Another win in Provo.. We might as well stating putting our logos in your stadium. 

1 hour ago, utenation said:

It's been over a decade since BYU got a win. If I were a BYU fan, I would wish for the series to end and avoid further embarrassing disasters.  At some point, you just have to throw in the white towel. 

This year will be no different. Another win in Provo.. We might as well stating putting our logos in your stadium. 

As BYU fans, we embrace difficult challenges rather than just seek to avoid "embarrassing disasters".  Often, that leads to experiencing the embarrassing disasters.  But every so often, when everything comes together, you get to experience some pretty cool wins.  BYU will beat Utah again.  Might even be this year.