Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

All-time record eh

5 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

We need a meteoroligist or two on this board.  I feel we are all a bunch of dummies trying to sound smart on shit we actually don't know near enough about and are getting affirmations from sites that speak to our bias.  

Or… someone can post links to any legitimate scientific organization in the world? Any university in the world? It’s all there to read if people want to. NASA, for example, has a ton of information. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

Or… someone can post links to any legitimate scientific organization in the world? Any university in the world? It’s all there to read if people want to. NASA, for example, has a ton of information. 

And is that what you see happening in any discussion on a climate topic?  If so, would there not be such a stark contrast in opinion?   Perhaps if there was someone who could tie all the strings together, we wouldn't witness small nitpicks and get a robust response that could actually engage in a healthier more informed dialogue.  But a bunch of people acting like they know what they hell we are truly reading is obviously not working.  I can read law, economics, or finance all day, but it doesn't mean it is interpreted properly enough to stake a solid claim, an SME would aid in the discussion.

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

And is that what you see happening in any discussion on a climate topic?  If so, would there not be such a stark contrast in opinion?   Perhaps if there was someone who could tie all the strings together, we wouldn't witness small nitpicks and get a robust response that could actually engage in a healthier more informed dialogue.  But a bunch of people acting like they know what they hell we are truly reading is obviously not working.  I can read law, economics, or finance all day, but it doesn't mean it is interpreted properly enough to stake a solid claim, an SME would aid in the discussion.

There won’t ever be consensus on anything on the MWCBoard. I do agree a SME could drive discussion. But as they say, you can lead a horse to water, you can’t make them drink.

6 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

There won’t ever be consensus on anything on the MWCBoard. I do agree a SME could drive discussion. But as they say, you can lead a horse to water, you can’t make them drink.

But there are folks who would like to drink, but can't tell a contaminated water body from a non-contaminated one.  And like a water body, it isn't as intuitive as we would like to believe, bias is even with a lot of typically good sources (Universities, rogue scientists, studies funded by special interests, etc).  Speaking of horses, I don't really want to beat this one to death, it was just an observation.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

But there are folks who would like to drink, but can't tell a contaminated water body from a non-contaminated one.  And like a water body, it isn't as intuitive as we would like to believe, bias is even with a lot of typically good sources (Universities, rogue scientists, studies funded by special interests, etc).  Speaking of horses, I don't really want to beat this one to death, it was just an observation.

Very eloquently put. Dude you have a way with words and great understanding of the human mentality. However, sometimes you get easily frustrated because others don’t see things the same way you do. 

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Fair enough. I don’t agree with your point above at all but respect you have your opinion. 

19 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

All I know is I’m in a lake house in Oregon with no AC and 7 kids, and it’s hotter than I’ve ever experienced in my life. Don’t take AC for granted ever.

Or that you live in America and not a third world country where most of the population lacks even the basic necessities much less AC. 

36 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

All I know is I’m in a lake house in Oregon with no AC and 7 kids, and it’s hotter than I’ve ever experienced in my life. Don’t take AC for granted ever.

Did you have to reserve the lake house 9 months ago for this as well?  

19 hours ago, Bob said:

Dude. You are a prisoner of the moment. There is a yin to every yang.

So because it's really +++++ing hot right now in one area of the country that is evidence of a crisis? It's never allowed to get hot anymore without someone shouting GLOBAL WARMING CLIMATE CHANGE? lmao

That Red is global warming and Blue is climate change cracked me up.  I am curious though what he means by "average". If average of the last 10 years, that's a pretty significant change (half a degree F).  If 1950-1980 averages or something he might make a good point to take this as localized "weather" and not climate.

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Did you have to reserve the lake house 9 months ago for this as well?  

Last minute cancellation. Thought I’d be a hero and get everyone out of town to escape the heatwave. Didn’t check about the no AC thing.

21 hours ago, Bob said:

K dude. lmao. You are freaking out about weather. Please learn the difference between weather and climate.

Bob, it's record breaking "weather" in record breaking duration. That indicates a change in the climate of the area. Please learn the difference between weather and climate.

40 minutes ago, Bob said:

The climate constantly changes. Why people think it is static is beyond me. Climate has, is, and always will be "changing", and fairly significantly, always.

This is just wrong. The holocene has seen extremely stable temperatures until now. this is a pretty easily measured fact. 

40 minutes ago, Bob said:

Anyway, much of the supposed warming that has recently taken place is due to the Urban Heat Island Effect and dishonest reporting and manipulation by those in charge of the temperature record. Since 1920s the climate hasn't actually warmed much, if any at all.

This is incorrect. Climate modelers are aware of the urban heat island effect. Bob... believe it or not, they are better at this than a rando slumlord. 

20 minutes ago, Bob said:

so he's just puling "percent of stations" without controlling for an increase in stations??? :lol:

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

22 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Bob, it's record breaking "weather" in record breaking duration. That indicates a change in the climate of the area. Please learn the difference between weather and climate.

This is just wrong. The holocene has seen extremely stable temperatures until now. this is a pretty easily measured fact. 

This is incorrect. Climate modelers are aware of the urban heat island effect. Bob... believe it or not, they are better at this than a rando slumlord. 

so he's just puling "percent of stations" without controlling for an increase in stations??? :lol:

Maybe Bob is actually Bob Heller? 

The creek where I live is drying up. A WSL I was talking to used it to wring his hands about CLIMATE CHANGE *fever flash*.

I'm all too familiar with how you WSLs preference for politically favorable narrative over non favorable truth. So I didn't have the heart to tell him that the creek is drying up because the state neglected maintenance, and the feds made drain it in order to perform a seismic retrofit.

Prolly all those GD Republicans fault.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

-No, it doesn't. You are still confusing weather and climate.

Narp. 

-No. Please explain Minoan Wram Period, Roman Warm Period, Medieval Warm Period, Little Ice Age, etc. The earth is constantly warming and cooling to a large degree.

Those are all small changes. Really. Much smaller than what we're seeing now. What we're seeing now is only comparable to the younger dryas. 

-No. They do no adjustments for UHE in the temperature record. NASA and NOAA have been caught red handed altering the temperature record to fit the climate change narrative.

Bob, yes, they absolutely do. I had this discussion with someone, @Brew_Poke? when I was a climate skeptic and that person thoroughly debunked the idea that it isn't used. This was in like 2012!

Huh? If anything newer stations are likely to be in places that are way more likely to reach 100 degrees. Are you aware that the temperature record in the USA is by far the best and longest in the world. Are you also aware that the center of population in the USA has moved markedly south? If anything this graph skews not in the direction you think it should. lol

Based on what? Literally, like what evidence at all?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.