Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Come home Top25. We need you.

4 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

*wry smile* I thought you did think better of me. I honestly did. Although I got some hints with your swipes at me in a couple of threads recently. 

I guess I was wrong. Well, we know we're we are at then. You're arguing that Biden wants to nuke America absent any real evidence and I'm...sad. Carry on.

That was overly harsh of me and I felt bad the moment I hit reply.  Mea Culpa.  We have shared a lot of common ground on a lot of things latley.  We are just not going to agree on guns and a few other issues.

I'm not arguing anything.  Biden's words are his own and are easy to interpret.  It's not twisting them.  The logic clearly follows if you need nukes and jets to take on the government it is because that would be more equal firepower.  

If you wan't to say it was a horrible gaff, go for it.  Don't defend it for anything other than what it was though.  A POTUS saying that if pushed far enough, the government would unleash the full might of the US military on it's citizens.  

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That was overly harsh of me and I felt bad the moment I hit reply.  Mea Culpa.

I'm not arguing anything.  Biden's words are his own and are easy to interpret.  It's not twisting them.  The logic clearly follows if you need nukes and jets to take on the government it is because that would be more equal firepower.  

If you wan't to say it was a horrible gaff, go for it.  Don't defend it for anything other than what it was though.  A POTUS saying that if pushed far enough, the government would unleash the full might of the US military on it's citizens.  

I don't even remember what we were talking about.

1 minute ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I don't even remember what we were talking about.

Were still friends and allies on BC, no worries.  Only a few of us there that can walk and chew gum at the same time, and we need to be somewhat united :)

So…if a band of yokels is trying to overthrow the government, and putting down a violent revolution with force is out of the question, the alternative is what? To let them do it? To say, “they’re our own citizens, and now we’re they’re citizens.” Let the 1/6ers back into the capitol because they brought more guns this time? I’m really having a hard time following this argument. 

2 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

So…if a band of yokels is trying to overthrow the government, and putting down a violent revolution with force is out of the question, the alternative is what? To let them do it? To say, “they’re our own citizens, and now we’re they’re citizens.” Let the 1/6ers back into the capitol because they brought more guns this time? I’m really having a hard time following this argument. 

Realistically, he shouldn't have said anything about it.  That is a position where tact in that scenario is needed.  We all know it (or at least should), but it is uncomfortable to hear the Pres talk about it.  

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Realistically, he shouldn't have said anything about it.  That is a position where tact in that scenario is needed.  We all know it (or at least should), but it is uncomfortable to hear the Pres talk about it.  

That’s fair. But you’re right that he wasn’t saying anything we shouldn’t already know. 

13 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

That’s fair. But you’re right that he wasn’t saying anything we shouldn’t already know. 

I am guessing it is because of who said it more than anything.  Last summer, explicitly suggested violence against citizens was just fine to some and outrageous to others.  Seems like a complete 180 for many.  

31 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

You’re right, the Capitol should have been nuked or at least bombed in order to save it.

Getting clearer?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Here is the problem with the right wing dream fantasy about these gun toting idiots saving us from the tyrannical government.

The thing about the "Gubmint" is that it is elected by the people....it has checks and balances and separations of power.  There are a whole shit ton of safeguards to ensure the military and the government doesn't violate the rights of citizens.  

On the other hand, we have a group of people like Timothy Mcveigh, Cliven Bundy, and bunch of insurrectionists who are the biggest gun people who are supposed to be the "Patriots" to protect us from the big bad gubmint.  Does anybody in their right mind want these idiots "protecting" us from the government?  They are no elected, are uncontrolled, and unrestrained by the people.  The only thing they have is their guns and with it their ability to coerce the population to do what they want.  

Unaccountable bands of armed idiots who think it is their responsibility to protect and defend democracy using extra judicial means is how death squads get formed.  We have had death squads here in this country and they have done things like destroy black wall street and kill a bunch of blacks in Tulsa in the process.  USA death squads would lynch people instead of allowing the government to give the accused a fair trial.  One of the biggest benefits of the second amendment is to give people extra judicial means to keep slaves in line and to overtake native lands.  It sure as hell isn't about protecting "rights" the armed mobs are more likely to take them away!

Our biggest danger as a country isn't the military, it is when someone like Trump tells his paramilitaries..."That guy should really disappear" and all of the sudden journalists start showing up in mass graves while the government doesn't try really very hard to solve those crimes.  It is called impunity and this type of paramilitary activity and extra judicial killings happen all the time across the world.  Governments love paramilitaries because they take care of the "problems" (usually with a government tip off) that the government cannot legally handle.  We have armed groups all across this country who are "locked and loaded" awaiting the call to activate. 

Let's please stop romanticizing armed thugs as a way to overthrow the government.  Haven't we learned that after almost getting the capitol overthrown?

Posted Image

8 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Here is the problem with the right wing dream fantasy about these gun toting idiots saving us from the tyrannical government.

The thing about the "Gubmint" is that it is elected by the people....it has checks and balances and separations of power.  There are a whole shit ton of safeguards to ensure the military and the government doesn't violate the rights of citizens.  

On the other hand, we have a group of people like Timothy Mcveigh, Cliven Bundy, and bunch of insurrectionists who are the biggest gun people who are supposed to be the "Patriots" to protect us from the big bad gubmint.  Does anybody in their right mind want these idiots "protecting" us from the government?  They are no elected, are uncontrolled, and unrestrained by the people.  The only thing they have is their guns and with it their ability to coerce the population to do what they want.  

Unaccountable bands of armed idiots who think it is their responsibility to protect and defend democracy using extra judicial means is how death squads get formed.  We have had death squads here in this country and they have done things like destroy black wall street and kill a bunch of blacks in Tulsa in the process.  USA death squads would lynch people instead of allowing the government to give the accused a fair trial.  One of the biggest benefits of the second amendment is to give people extra judicial means to keep slaves in line and to overtake native lands.  It sure as hell isn't about protecting "rights" the armed mobs are more likely to take them away!

Our biggest danger as a country isn't the military, it is when someone like Trump tells his paramilitaries..."That guy should really disappear" and all of the sudden journalists start showing up in mass graves while the government doesn't try really very hard to solve those crimes.  It is called impunity and this type of paramilitary activity and extra judicial killings happen all the time across the world.  Governments love paramilitaries because they take care of the "problems" (usually with a government tip off) that the government cannot legally handle.  We have armed groups all across this country who are "locked and loaded" awaiting the call to activate. 

Let's please stop romanticizing armed thugs as a way to overthrow the government.  Haven't we learned that after almost getting the capitol overthrown?

I don't believe anyone is doing that in this thread, but I agree with much of what you are saying.  I also don't want the President, or a politician in general to suggest defending against our own, just as a matter of discourse.  I think that is what some of us (some more vigorously than others) are talking about.

31 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

So…let em in?

No, shoot them. Just don’t drop a freakin nuke on Washington. Don’t even think about it. Certainly don’t talk about it in any way when you’re the guy with the nuclear codes.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.