Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

This is insanely stupid. How is this a thing?

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Wait just a minute, the on deck astrophysicist that comes to mind isn’t a white guy either? What the hell is going on here? You better come up with a name that gets us on the podium or else I’m going to need gamma rays explained to me through the lens of a Beach Boys deep cut.

First of all, you're ignoring the fact that the first one I listed was white. Second, you didn't say name white only. You said name a living one. If you really want to play this game. Name more non-European white/US white physicist without using the internet.

38 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

You don't really think that's what this course is about do you?

I honestly have no idea. I made it all of two sentences into the course description before IRL shit pulled me back into focus. :shrug:

But sure. Why not. I'll got with "space is racist" as my final answer. Lock it in.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Wait just a minute, the on deck astrophysicist that comes to mind isn’t a white guy either? What the hell is going on here? You better come up with a name that gets us on the podium or else I’m going to need gamma rays explained to me through the lens of a Beach Boys deep cut.

You played this card after AztecSU name two physicist who are white. You're grasping for straws. LOL.

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They were, based on the definition of the word at the time of Rome.

Was the definition in Rome, anyone who wasn't under the ilk of the Roman empire? 

9 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

You played this card after AztecSU name two physicist who are white. You're grasping for straws. LOL.

Meh, I'll just say I went through a phase of intense interest. Doubt most would be able to drop names, even if they may recognize their faces. 

19 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

First of all, you're ignoring the fact that the first one I listed was white. Second, you didn't say name white only. You said name a living one. If you really want to play this game. Name more non-European white/US white physicist without using the internet.

I can’t name another one alive, white or otherwise, off the top of my head. Astrophysics is not a pet interest of mine, so I am not the guy to go to.

16 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

You’re missing the point. Don’t list the supposedly token black astrophysicist as an example when it sure seems like he is in actuality the token astrophysicist in people’s minds. Neil DeGrasse Tyson got there by being really good at communicating very complex ideas in a simple enough way for the general public to understand. There’s no conspiracy, he’s just the best at it right now.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I'm going to take this opportunity to completely derail this thread and let anyone interested know that Dan Carlin (Hardcore History) released part 6 of his Supernova in the East series earlier this month. And while I'm at it I will mention he covers the Celtic Holocaust it decent detail. I don't anyone think anyone here is racist, I only try to open minds to different points of view. 

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

I only try to open minds to different points of view. 

well....cut it out....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I'm going to take this opportunity to completely derail this thread and let anyone interested know that Dan Carlin (Hardcore History) released part 6 of his Supernova in the East series earlier this month. And while I'm at it I will mention he covers the Celtic Holocaust it decent detail. I don't anyone think here is racist, I only try to open minds to different points of view. 

Hell yeah! Both were great.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I can’t name another one alive, white or otherwise, off the top of my head. Astrophysics is not a pet interest of mine, so I am not the guy to go to.

You’re missing the point. Don’t list the supposedly token black astrophysicist as an example when it sure seems like he is in actuality the token astrophysicist in people’s minds. Neil DeGrasse Tyson got there by being really good at communicating very complex ideas in a simple enough way for the general public to understand. There’s no conspiracy, he’s just the best at it right now.

Talk about missing the point. That's why I said not to use him. He is constantly on TV. (Rightfully so.) And he's the only one who is black that is constantly on TV. The two I named I knew from shows and docs I've watched. While I cannot recall others by name, I can tell you this, the majority of physicists I see interviewed as experts are commonly white. And that's the point. To kids watching a show or the news and they bring on an expert/physicist to explain something, they are white 99.999% of the time . It a subtle way of reinforcing in them that only white men are capable of being experts/physicist/intelligent.

10 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Talk about missing the point. That's why I said not to use him. He is constantly on TV. (Rightfully so.) And he's the only one who is black that is constantly on TV. The two I named I knew from shows and docs I've watched. While I cannot recall others by name, I can tell you this, the majority of physicists I see interviewed as experts are commonly white. And that's the point. To kids watching a show or the news and they bring on an expert/physicist to explain something, they are white 99.999% of the time . It a subtle way of reinforcing in them that only white men are capable of being experts/physicist/intelligent.

So by your calculations out of the 10,000 times an expert astrophysicist is on tv, they’re all white just so long as we don’t use the single one that comes to mind that is constantly on tv.

:Clapping:

16 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So by your calculations out of the 10,000 times an expert astrophysicist is on tv, they’re all white just so long as we don’t use the single one that comes to mind that is constantly on tv.

:Clapping:

Sure. That is the point.

Renee Zellweger Revenge GIF by NETFLIX

14 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

LMAO. I literally took that class at BSU. Seriously.

And in a similar vein it was trying to get engineering students a humanities elective. Tons of students from all over campus enrolled in it because it was pretty easy and you watched 10 minutes of Star Trek every class. Then listened to the professor (who seriously would memorize all 180 students names for each section of the class) talk about how that related to classical ethics and modern engineering type morals and ethics. The dude wrote a textbook specifically for the class - I purchased it years later because it has some good anecdotes and history with regards to engineering and ethical dilemmas. Same class I learned everything that I know about Mulholland and California’s water issues so it’s paid off because I can sort of understand @smltwnrckr.

I probably should have taken more like it because I still have deficiencies at writing coherently most of the time.

I've found that using metaphors and/or comparisons to concepts in the math, science or engineering is actually pretty successful when it comes to helping people think about important theoretical concepts dealing with language that can otherwise be tough to wrap your head around when you deal mostly with numbers. I've used this example before, but I know a bunch of people in the writing program at my campus and they offer writing courses specifically geared toward STEM and quantitative Social Sci students (writing for engineering, writing for the sciences, writing for psychology, environmental writing, etc.). There are always STEM students who avoid those classes because they think those classes are harder (because the humanities are easier than the STEM fields, according to them). And there will always been engineering and chemistry and applied math students in classes like Writing for Historians and Writing for the Social Sciences. And the instructor always says, "If you're in a STEM field, and you're in here because you think it's easier than the writing class in your field, you should drop this class and sign up for that one. You are welcome to stay in this class, but it will be harder than the other one... I promise." Every class a couple of them stay, and almost always struggle at least early in the class.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Originally it meant anyone who was non-Hellenic (The greeks invented the term), then later it meant anyone who wasn't Latin or Greek. So they'd fit the definition.

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Was the definition in Rome, anyone who wasn't under the ilk of the Roman empire? 

originally it meant them furriners talk stupid they say bar bar bar bar lmao

it would be like if today we called all foreigners "chingchongdingdongs" because that's what Chinese sounds like to us

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Name another astrophysicist period, no dead ones, just the living.

That string theory guy and the Asian guy who used to go on art bell all the time.

Brian Greene and Michio Kaku. Had to look up the names, but I remembered who they were. Should I get a prize?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

13 hours ago, Billings said:

Star Trek really blazed some trails but some don't realize it

SDSU had a professor that would teach mid-century American history using Star Trek (or Star Wars, one of them).  Most folks who took it did it as a goof, but say they really enjoyed the class and the content made a ton of sense.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Let's be serious... he got there buy being the "Actually..." guy for James Cameron movies. :ph34r: