Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

This is insanely stupid. How is this a thing?

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

yer just jealous you aren't registered

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I initially thought it was stupid based on the sub title of the course.. Then, read the course description. You have to ask yourself, how many black astronauts has there been? As others pointed out, how many Afro-Am science fiction authors do you know of? Name another Afro-Am  astrophysicist who is not Neil deGrasse Tyson. Seems to me the is a build of off of Hidden Figures.

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not sure how he got wind of of it.  Probably because it got share somewhere he follows?

It is dumb because cosmological studies throughout history have nothing to do with race.  

This class is like "lets study star trek and give credits"

The fcuk you talking 'bout??? Human race vs. alien race! Galactic domination!!

3 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Growing up the first black superhero I can recall seeing on tv/movies was meteor man the other was blank man. Not even kidding. Black studies courses exist so those who are interested can learn more about the culture that isnt always well represented. If thats fuggin dumb ok then. 

I can relate. My first Hispanic superhero admiration was not even a superhero. It was a villain. It was Bane. I was surprised that he wasn't a stereotypical Hispanic "thug" villain. He was intelligent, he was athletic and he broke the Batman! It was so cool to see him wear a Mexican luchador's kit. Yet he was from the fictional island of Santa Pena. That meant the he did not relate only to Mex/Mex-Am kids, but also to P-Rican, Cuban, Dominican and all Hispanic kids who watched/read Batman. It would be a decade later before they introduced Jaime Reyes as the new reiteration of the Blue Beetle.

People to think courses like ASTRO 2034 - Black Holes: Race and the Cosmos are dumb or useless are being considerate of POC perspectives.

3 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Lol, seems like your buddy and then you didnt understand it's just a creative black studies course and not a course about how cosmology is racist. Just admit it. 

Yeah. While HMHB usually demonstrates very fair  deposition, there are instances where he reminds us that he can be more bronco than human. This is one of those instances.

28 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Space is racist. :ph34r:

You don't really think that's what this course is about do you?

Theorists use astronomy concepts like "black holes" and "event horizons" to interpret the history of race in creative ways, while artists and musicians conjure blackness through cosmological themes and images.

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I initially thought it was stupid based on the sub title of the course.. Then, read the course description. You have to ask yourself, how many black astronauts has there been? As others pointed out, how many Afro-Am science fiction authors do you know of? Name another Afro-Am  astrophysicist who is not Neil deGrasse Tyson. Seems to me the is a build of off of Hidden Figures.

Name another astrophysicist period, no dead ones, just the living.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Name another astrophysicist period, no dead ones, just the living.

Stephen Hawking.

Just now, DoubleBlueGold said:

Stephen Hawking.

Um, dead.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

9 minutes ago, RSF said:

Um, dead.

He's dead?

Edit- Just looked it up, per RSF's reply. Died in 2018. Fairly recent. Terrible. Do know how I didn't hear about? Or maybe I just forgot with everything that has happened since.

Just now, DoubleBlueGold said:

He's dead?

3 years ago.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

3 years ago.

Just edited my reply. I looked it up and see that he died in 2018. I hope he is riding the stars happily.

I believe Michio Kaku is still alive.

2 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Just edited my reply. I looked it up and see that he died in 2018. I hope he is riding the stars happily.

I believe Michio Kaku is still alive.

Wait just a minute, the on deck astrophysicist that comes to mind isn’t a white guy either? What the hell is going on here? You better come up with a name that gets us on the podium or else I’m going to need gamma rays explained to me through the lens of a Beach Boys deep cut.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

32 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

You don't really think that's what this course is about do you?

Theorists use astronomy concepts like "black holes" and "event horizons"to interpret the history of race in creative ways, while artists and musicians conjure blackness through cosmological themes and images.

That seems like a stretch.