Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

This is insanely stupid. How is this a thing?

26 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Actually looks like it could be interesting. Creative way to get humanities material to be appreciated by astrophysics students.

https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/physics-of-blackness

https://www.octaviabutler.com/theauthor

Should we not allow universities to teach black science fiction or what?

I would actually love to take this class.  But it sounds stupid as shit.

6 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Can you explain what you find dumb about it and what prompted you to peruse the Cornell astrophysics catalogue? 

Sure, my buddy sent this to me via PM on facebook.

And tying the study of cosmology through racial lenses seems really fuggen dumb.  The science fiction part sounds fun and I would love to take this class.  

37 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And tying the study of cosmology through racial lenses seems really fuggen dumb.  The science fiction part sounds fun and I would love to take this class.  

Does he go to Cornell? I’m just curious how these things get passed around. 

But why is it dumb? I think this sounds super interesting. I wish I’d had options like this - combining the humanities and hard sciences - as an undergrad. 

Why is it dumb? That sounds like it could be a really interesting class. 

It’s not an astronomy class really, it’s a black studies class. They’re examining how black artists use cosmological themes in their work. While I probably wouldn’t take it, why not study that? 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

16 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Does he go to Cornell? I’m just curious how these things get passed around. 

But why is it dumb? I think this sounds super interesting. I wish I’d had options like this - combining the humanities and hard sciences - as an undergrad. 

Not sure how he got wind of of it.  Probably because it got share somewhere he follows?

It is dumb because cosmological studies throughout history have nothing to do with race.  

This class is like "lets study star trek and give credits"

12 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Why is it dumb? That sounds like it could be a really interesting class. 

It’s not an astronomy class really, it’s a black studies class. They’re examining how black artists use cosmological themes in their work. While I probably wouldn’t take it, why not study that? 

Secondary not primary in focus.

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Can you explain what you find dumb about it and what prompted you to peruse the Cornell astrophysics catalogue? 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Is it bad I just instantly assumed it was discovered while trolling the flat earthers? :shrug:

24 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not sure how he got wind of of it.  Probably because it got share somewhere he follows?

It is dumb because cosmological studies throughout history have nothing to do with race.  

Maybe that’s a problem. Maybe we’re getting too much of our perspective on the cosmos from white people. Maybe other voices have been marginalized to the point that the field is homogenous and therefore stagnant. It’s happened elsewhere. Idk one way or the other but it seems worth exploring.

A class focused on Star Trek as an elective isn’t a terrible idea either. You could look at it much the same way we look at other texts and analyze it based on its time period, themes, etc. Wringing a whole semester out of it seems difficult to me but perhaps someone Trekkier could pull it off. 

My dream class is “American Hip-Hop as Literature.” I’ve got it all planned in my head I just need someone who will never approve it to retire and be replaced with someone who will approve it. We would look at rap songs as texts reflective of their time and place. I do this in class occasionally anyway but to have an excuse to do it for 16 straight weeks would really make me feel like I’m stealing money, which is what we should all want out of our careers. 

16 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Maybe that’s a problem. Maybe we’re getting too much of our perspective on the cosmos from white people. Maybe other voices have been marginalized to the point that the field is homogenous and therefore stagnant. It’s happened elsewhere. Idk one way or the other but it seems worth exploring.

A class focused on Star Trek as an elective isn’t a terrible idea either. You could look at it much the same way we look at other texts and analyze it based on its time period, themes, etc. Wringing a whole semester out of it seems difficult to me but perhaps someone Trekkier could pull it off. 

My dream class is “American Hip-Hop as Literature.” I’ve got it all planned in my head I just need someone who will never approve it to retire and be replaced with someone who will approve it. We would look at rap songs as texts reflective of their time and place. I do this in class occasionally anyway but to have an excuse to do it for 16 straight weeks would really make me feel like I’m stealing money, which is what we should all want out of our careers. 

Holy shit this vomit.

55 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

LMAO. I literally took that class at BSU. Seriously.

And in a similar vein it was trying to get engineering students a humanities elective. Tons of students from all over campus enrolled in it because it was pretty easy and you watched 10 minutes of Star Trek every class. Then listened to the professor (who seriously would memorize all 180 students names for each section of the class) talk about how that related to classical ethics and modern engineering type morals and ethics. The dude wrote a textbook specifically for the class - I purchased it years later because it has some good anecdotes and history with regards to engineering and ethical dilemmas. Same class I learned everything that I know about Mulholland and California’s water issues so it’s paid off because I can sort of understand @smltwnrckr.

I probably should have taken more like it because I still have deficiencies at writing coherently most of the time.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

LMAO. I literally took that class at BSU. Seriously.

And in a similar vein it was trying to get engineering students a humanities elective. Tons of students from all over campus enrolled in it because it was pretty easy and you watched 10 minutes of Star Trek every class. Then listened to the professor (who seriously would memorize all 180 students names for each section of the class) talk about how that related to classical ethics and modern engineering type morals and ethics. The dude wrote a textbook specifically for the class - I purchased it years later because it has some good anecdotes and history with regards to engineering and ethical dilemmas. Same class I learned everything that I know about Mulholland and California’s water issues so it’s paid off because I can sort of understand @smltwnrckr.

I probably should have taken more like it because I still have deficiencies at writing coherently most of the time.

Star Trek really blazed some trails but some don't realize it

Growing up the first black superhero I can recall seeing on tv/movies was meteor man the other was blank man. Not even kidding. Black studies courses exist so those who are interested can learn more about the culture that isnt always well represented. If thats fuggin dumb ok then.