Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

So bicycles are ruining the American economy.

a smile.  well sorta

The Bicycle is the slow death of the planet.
General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:
"A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.
Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).
On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."
Choose carefully: cyclist or McDonald's? It is worth considering.
P.S. Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy bicycles.

24 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Gotta agree with Bob. Very few people that ride bikes ride them for transportation purposes, it’s mostly for exercise or sport. I’ve never known anyone who rode a bike only with no car as an adult.

In the United States, perhaps. That's not the case in many parts of Europe. Might have something to do with our non-existent protected bike lanes. Perhaps even our sprawled land use.

I would not use the unprotected bike lane near my place. Evidently, others share the same safety concerns. I've seen more people ride on the sidewalk than on the bike lane, and for good reason.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Who has only a bike and no car? Hobos?

One of my favorite ppl. He's already ridden across all of Iceland, and now he rides across Antarctica every summer (winter?). Awesome guy for sure.

He's never owned a car.

11 hours ago, Bob said:

Who has only a bike and no car? Hobos?

People in dense cities with high traffic/lack of parking or people who use public transit or share rides.  Obviously the need for a car in a rural area or a sprawled city like LA or Houston is almost mandatory, but I know folks with no car who are well off.  I don't personally know how they do it, but to each their own.

Not owning a car in NYC is the rule, not the exception.

And I know the son of a friend of mine who just moved to Dallas for work.  Doesnt own a car - walks to work, shopping is nearby, and if he wants to go out somewhere, Uber it is.  And we're talking Dallas, which is spread out, and has only modest public transportation.  That scenario is becoming more common, too.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

When I lived downtown in a city, I didn't own a car. I got by easily walking everywhere. All of the essentials were within a few minutes walking. Driving is unnecessary and bad in that sort of living scenario.

Bicyclists are fine as long as they stay in the bike lanes or ride on the shoulder in absence of a bike lane. When they think they are a car and slow traffic or ride two or three abreast that is a problem for the bicyclist. 

54 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Bicyclists are fine as long as they stay in the bike lanes or ride on the shoulder in absence of a bike lane. When they think they are a car and slow traffic or ride two or three abreast that is a problem for the bicyclist. 

Holy shit we agree on something. I’ve noticed most bikers that that ride with traffic follow their own traffic rules, treating red lights as stop signs and such.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Cars frequently go in bike lanes and bus-only lanes, even using them for parking sometimes.

15 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Gotta agree with Bob. Very few people that ride bikes ride them for transportation purposes, it’s mostly for exercise or sport. I’ve never known anyone who rode a bike only with no car as an adult.

I know many millennials in the city who do not own cars.  Bikes, Lyft, and mass transit.  If they leave the city they rent a car for the weekend.  My son in San Fran does not own a car nor do most of his friends. 

3 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Holy shit we agree on something. I’ve noticed most bikers that that ride with traffic follow their own traffic rules, treating red lights as stop signs and such.

Closest I have ever come to dying on the road was due to +++++ing bikers.  No offense I know we have a lot on here.  Highway 55 twice, Highway 12 once.  

I had a Spanish professor that biked to work on the greenbelt, always brought a spare set of clothes. 

When I moved downtown off the Mag mile the GF didn’t own a car and walked to work or took a cab/bus if the weather was terrible.  Our condo had a private garage that was $250 a month so that could be a reason why people shy away from owning vehicles.  Plus there was a Whole Foods in the basement, so you didn’t have to go far.  

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Closest I have ever come to dying on the road was due to +++++ing bikers.  No offense I know we have a lot on here.  Highway 55 twice, Highway 12 once.  

I love to ride, ride almost every single day. But I don’t ride in the god damn street. If there’s a wide bike lane use it, but I hate every second of it.  Only busy street I’m on is on the way to the greenbelt. 

I will say though, there are some reckless bike riders on the green belt. Going full speed and passing people without announcing themselves. I haven’t witnessed a collision but I’m sure they’re pretty common.

1 minute ago, IanforHeisman said:

I love to ride, ride almost every single day. But I don’t ride in the god damn street. If there’s a wide bike lane use it, but I hate every second of it.  Only busy street I’m on is on the way to the greenbelt. 

I will say though, there are some reckless bike riders on the green belt. Going full speed and passing people without announcing themselves. I haven’t witnessed a collision but I’m sure they’re pretty common.

I don't mind bikers on the street in McCall or even on highways that don't get tons of traffic.  But on 55 and 12?  +++++ing insane.  

Just now, IanforHeisman said:

Close calls for me running on the greenbelt.  I stopped running on it and stuck to the trails on the hills or doing a loop on the streets.  But also walking around with those e-bikes downtown can be frustrating too.  

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Close calls for me running on the greenbelt.  I stopped running on it and stuck to the trails on the hills or doing a loop on the streets.  But also walking around with those e-bikes downtown can be frustrating too.  

Drunk bar hopping on those e-bikes and scooters downtown are hazard.  I've seen two collisions and I am not even downtown much.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Drunk bar hopping on those e-bikes and scooters downtown are hazard.  I've seen two collisions and I am not even downtown much.

As a visitor, I frequented the downtown quite a bit.  Bothered me how those drunkards would just bomb it down the sidewalks.  I don't want to see people injured, but...