Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Great news for MWC fans visiting Boise.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's mostly your middle class conservatives.  A cheap 1200 square foot house in Boise is half a mil atm.

That's more expensive than a lot of california. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

53 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

New Yorkers?

That's just the beginning. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

Yep.  "California prices with Salt Lake City traffic, what is even the point of Boise anymore?"  Is a theme around here from the locals lately, and a lot of the transplants even who are 5-10 years settled in.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yep.  "California prices with Salt Lake City traffic, what is even the point of Boise anymore?"  Is a theme around here from the locals lately, and a lot of the transplants even who are 5-10 years settled in.

Salt Lake city has traffic? 

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's mostly your middle class conservatives.  A cheap 1200 square foot house in Boise is half a mil atm.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

TRUE...but a lot Californians don't live where they'd like to.  Most are settling on an area they can afford, or stuck somewhere really crappy due to a lack of means to leave.

Not many Californians live in an area they're content living in.

48 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

TRUE...but a lot Californians don't live where they'd like to.  Most are settling on an area they can afford, or stuck somewhere really crappy due to a lack of means to leave.

You sure about that?

4 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Wolf murderers were already in Idaho. Too be fair every mountain state has them. The Great Lake states with wolves don't have near the hatred for wolves. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota are all blue states too.

And we do it without a ton of public land too.  I know everyone I know respects nature and animals because of the abundance of tribes all around the state and their respect for them.  We were just raised that way and I wouldn't trade that mindstate for anything.

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

LOL... This is pretty dumb.  The press likes to pitch doom and gloom but California still has 40+million people in it.   Most of those people have nice lives, good jobs and live in nice houses in crime free neighborhoods.  I've traveled the world and found no place better. Still haven't turned on my air conditioner OR my heater this year.  I just open the patio door and let the ocean breeze in.  It's not for everybody but neither is any place else.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Blame the former Boise State athletes, most of them have become realtors.  

On 6/23/2021 at 8:49 PM, GoState99755 said:

On 6/23/2021 at 9:38 PM, smltwnrckr said:

You sure about that?

On 6/23/2021 at 11:53 PM, SDSUfan said:

LOL... This is pretty dumb.  The press likes to pitch doom and gloom but California still has 40+million people in it.   Most of those people have nice lives, good jobs and live in nice houses in crime free neighborhoods.  I've traveled the world and found no place better. Still haven't turned on my air conditioner OR my heater this year.  I just open the patio door and let the ocean breeze in.  It's not for everybody but neither is any place else.

@SDSUfan- Is it dumb?  How many Californias do you know that are content with what they get for their $$$ in the housing mkt.

I totally agree w/you that most ppl in Calif have nice lives, good jobs in good 'hoods.  My point is, most Californians settle on their 'hood.  Very few are content that they get good value for their money when they purchase in a descent area of Calif. 

I too have lived all over & returned to SoCal.  It's AWESOME.  My point is, there is near ZERO value in real estate here.  It's great if you want to move out of the area, however there's no way to realize the insane appreciation, unless you leave.

41 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

@SDSUfan- Is it dumb?  How many Californias do you know that are content with what they get for their $$$ in the housing mkt.

Well, there is a difference between feeling content with what you pay and liking where you live. In CA, the nicest places are the most outrageous so you have to overpay to live there. My friends on the coast definitely feel less stoked about what they get for their $ than my neighbors in the valley.

I totally agree w/you that most ppl in Calif have nice lives, good jobs in good 'hoods.  My point is, most Californians settle on their 'hood.  Very few are content that they get good value for their money when they purchase in a descent area of Calif. 

What does that even mean, that people settle on their hood? People end up living where they live due to various circumstances, so the idea of simplifying those circumstances to them settling on a neighborhood as opposed to weighing the costs and benefits is nuts to me. My sister and her family live in the city of SF, and they envy us in a lot of ways. I envy them in other ways. Who is settling? Furthermore, theres still a conflation between desired location and feeling like you got the best value here. Those things are often at odds, not just in CA but everywhere. 

I too have lived all over & returned to SoCal.  It's AWESOME.  My point is, there is near ZERO value in real estate here.  It's great if you want to move out of the area, however there's no way to realize the insane appreciation, unless you leave.

The difficulty of certain parts of california is the difficulty of getting in to the market in the first place. Once you own and have some equity, you're good to go because your values will always go up in those areas and rebound faster. No, the return percent is probably not gonna be as good if you're into buying a house to turn a profit, but even then if you are savvy the value is there. I guarantee you there are sharks circling the market waiting for the next crash in the bay area because they know the market will spring back quick and there will be deals to be had.

Speaking for myself, I'm confident and frankly thrilled in the value of my home considering where I bought, when I bought and the price I bought at. I dont know of a lot of markets where timing and location dont have a ton to do with value. 

On 6/24/2021 at 9:25 AM, Ibanez said:

That's cool. I did a lot of my training up at Voyagers in Minnesota and The Northern Peninsula of Michigan. Had to take that ferry to Isle Royale every week for three months. The mosquitoes and those nats up there are no joke. I've never camped in a more uncomfortable place. But that area is really nice.

You get used to the mosquitoes.  I have never had an issue with them anywhere else because of it.  I used to spend time in the summer in Boundary Waters, and would hit up pow woes in the Leech Lake and Blue Earth reservations.  If it weren't for those winters, I'd go back.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:49 PM, GoState99755 said:

You mean.....like Fresno? :rotflmfao:

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

18 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

If you're not "content", don't buy.  I'm not sure how anyone who buys an asset that increases in value at a rate of 10-35% annually can say it has zero value.  Buy a home because it's where you want to be, to stabilize your monthly housing costs and improve your financial position.  

Life is all about trade offs. Move to the Midwest and buy a larger, nicer home or stay in California and settle for a more modest home because there are other reasons to be in California.

As far as finances, if you want increase the cash out value of a home, make improvements that will increase its value  relative to similar properties or even better, pay down your mortgage as quickly as possible.  Do NOT borrow against your home unless you have a plan to increase its value. Do NOT continually re finance and reset the clock on your mortgage to save a few hundred buck a month.  It's a suckers play.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Stayed in  Boise a week ago and here now but not going to see the eyesore of a field.  Don’t need to contaminate the beauty of Baker and Wallowa valley in my head with that.

Yeah, are you and the family enjoying the motel 6?  Jack in the Box is near as well.  

@thingspeoplewholikestadiumenjoy