Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Carl Nassib

42 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

good for him, be 100% you! hiding that kind of stuff inside is like poison for the soul...it wears on you.

I kinda felt that way about being autistic, but I don’t think it’s close to the same extent as being gay.

Just now, ph90702 said:

I kinda felt that way about being autistic, but I don’t think it’s close to the same extent as being gay.

I pretty much look at my life as pre coming out and post coming out...I'm SO much more mentally healthy/happy living out and proud.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I am happy that he is comfortable enough, but wish it didn't matter in the first place.  Step by step...

I wish it didn’t matter either. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

very courageous of him to be the first, in a perfect world he would receive nothing but kudos for coming out. Unfortunately, I expect there will be a few incidents of homophobia that will challenge him.

In a way this is very much like Jackie Robinson.

As a life long Raiders fan, I'm glad this milestone announcement was made by someone in their organization. The Raiders were one of the first organizations to draft a black QB, the first organization to hire a Hispanic as their head coach, and the first in the modern era to hire a black head coach. My hope is that today's announcement just sort of goes down as no big deal. Especially, since, in the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't really be some huge story to begin with.

Champ Logo.jpg

56 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

As a life long Raiders fan, I'm glad this milestone announcement was made by someone in their organization. The Raiders were one of the first organizations to draft a black QB, the first organization to hire a Hispanic as their head coach, and the first in the modern era to hire a black head coach. My hope is that today's announcement just sort of goes down as no big deal. Especially, since, in the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't really be some huge story to begin with.

It will go down as a big deal because there are no openly gay and active players.

11 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

We'll get there someday. Couple of hundred more years. Still...baby steps.

Doubt it will take much more than one more generation.  Seems like half of gen Z identifies as something or another and they are all seemingly LGBTQ+ friendly.

35 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Doubt it will take much more than one more generation.  Seems like half of gen Z identifies as something or another and they are all seemingly LGBTQ+ friendly.

I guess we'll see.

16 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Makes sense with the continual lowering of test levels, 42% of americans now being obese up from 35% in 2010 and the average 20 year old female being a 5'4 170lbs hambeast

1 hour ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Makes sense with the continual lowering of test levels, 42% of americans now being obese up from 35% in 2010 and the average 20 year old female being a 5'4 170lbs hambeast

#broscience

10 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I thought Michael Sam was the first to come out. He didn’t last long as I recall. You wonder how much harassment he’ll get. 

He was a seventh round draft pick but never played a regular season game in the NFL. He was cut after the preseason. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I thought Michael Sam was the first to come out. He didn’t last long as I recall. You wonder how much harassment he’ll get. 

Sam was a little too slow to do it at the nfl level. Nassib has already proven he can do it - been in the league since 2016, wore the “C” on his chest when he was with Tampa, and earned a big contract from the raiders last year. Michael Sam, as a borderline roster guy, probably had a hard time. Guys competing with him for a roster spot I’m sure used his sexuality as psychological leverage. He even mentioned his mental health as a reason for not pursuing anymore opportunities in pro football. 

Nassib is already in the club though. The public response has been positive, and internally, he helps them win, so he’ll be accepted. It really takes a guy like that to be first, so that the next borderline roster player just trying to make a team doesn’t go through what Michael Sam did.