Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RSF

The price of college football just went up

Title IX requires that if you pay a football player a salary you have to pay a female water polo athlete the same.   This ruling radically changes the face of college athletics.  Some schools may drop athletics altogether. Others may follow the Ivy League model.  Many, who don't break even on football may abandon the sport.  There may be fewer opportunities for young athletes to get a free education because of this ruling.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing necessarily but there will be unanticipated consequences which, if history is any judge will impact the least among us disproportionately.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I feel that this, combined with NIL, is going to really benefit UNLV.  College athletes will want to play in major cities like Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, etc. because they can monetize their brand better.

22 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Title IX requires that if you pay a football player a salary you have to pay a female water polo athlete the same.   This ruling radically changes the face of college athletics.  Some schools may drop athletics altogether. Others may follow the Ivy League model.  Many, who don't break even on football may abandon the sport.  There may be fewer opportunities for young athletes to get a free education because of this ruling.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing necessarily but there will be unanticipated consequences which, if history is any judge will impact the least among us disproportionately.

I root for laundry. Let those that can make money on their way to the pros, make their money. I doubt the female water polo players will be missing much. The $100 handshakes aren’t going away.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

52 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I feel that this, combined with NIL, is going to really benefit UNLV.  College athletes will want to play in major cities like Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, etc. because they can monetize their brand better.

Las Vegas is a major city like New York and Los Angeles? What the hell do they put in your guys drinking water? :wacko:

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

17 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Las Vegas is a major city like New York and Los Angeles? What the hell do they put in your guys drinking water? :wacko:

Las Vegas is a world famous city.  They knew where Las Vegas when I went to Germany and spoke with locals.

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

At the end of the day, the NCAA just didn’t have any legal argument. Beer Keg Brett’s concurrence more or less nailed it, IMO. 

7 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Like they don't drop serious bags already? Give me a break.

We gave a kid a couple big macs and we're still being sanctioned. 

Somebody in the Tennis program looked at someone cross-eyed; lack of institutional control!! 

New-Signature.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

We gave a kid a couple big macs and we're still being sanctioned. 

Somebody in the Tennis program looked at someone cross-eyed; lack of institutional control!! 

To be fair the Tennis violation was pretty bad.  We were playing an athlete that was not even a student at the school.:lol:

7 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Fresno's Cavinder twins give a good example of what might be possible from NIL at a non-Power school. With the right brand presence a student athlete potentially could have a lucrative income.

The Cavinders have about 3 million followers just on TikTok, plus many more on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

A recent value estimate of just their TikTok account was over $500,000 annually if that account was monetized. That does not include the potential earnings from other social media.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30945653/social-media-stardom-how-changes-nil-benefit-athlete-influencers-ncaa

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-basketball/article250801864.html

Are they doing pole dances? 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I like this decision.  It's not going to sway too many blue chip recruits who think they are NFL bound after 3 years.  So kids get laptops with their scholarships, maybe an I pad too.  As long as schools are not giving away 7,000 gaming PC under the guise of academic tools it's not going to make much difference.

Nevada found a way around it.  Apple & Nevada made a deal.  Every incoming Fr will receive a new I-pad of course that includes athletes.

1 minute ago, wolfan8431 said:

Nevada found a way around it.  Apple & Nevada made a deal.  Every incoming Fr will receive a new I-pad of course that includes athletes.

That's actually really cool.  Still going to have to come up with laptops, paid internships and the like.  I have no doubt Nevada can do it if they wish.

35 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Texas: 228 million / year revenue

Texas can pay all 35'ish 5 star athletes $1,000,000 / yr and not break a sweat.

Luckily Texas almost always under performs.

Pay them in laptops?  All this did was remove restrictions on academic compensation.  It doesn't require minimums, nor does it eliminate legitimate ceilings.  It just restricts artificial limits of academic aid.  A well overdue ruling, but hardly the elimination of amateurism.  A Mercedes is not academic aid.  Folks are overreacting.

It's great that the NCAA has been put on notice, but someone please explain to me how college football just changed.  I don't see it.

3 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Pay them in laptops?  All this did was remove restrictions on academic compensation.  It doesn't require minimums, nor does it eliminate legitimate ceilings.  It just restricts artificial limits of academic aid.  A well overdue ruling, but hardly the elimination of amateurism.  A Mercedes is not academic aid.  Folks are overreacting.

It's great that the NCAA has been put on notice, but someone please explain to me how college football just changed.  I don't see it.

Read Kavanaugh’s concurrence…the court ruled narrowly on academic benefits, but the end of amateurism and a shift to fair market value are at the doorstep. The court’s ruling is a major step towards dramatic change in college athletics.

7 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Remember, the only reason that “all this ruling did” was remove restrictions on academic compensation was because the players chose not to renew their across the board challenge as they didn’t appeal, this was the NCAA’s appeal. There will likely be another antitrust lawsuit filed by the end of the year challenging total compensation, and based on this ruling I wouldn’t like the NCAA’s chances with SCOTUS in that one. And, it WILL get to SCOTUS regardless of what the district and circuit courts rule. 

Well, if this goes beyond academic benefits i.e laptops,etc and turns into actual compensation (as NIL seems to be).  The IRS will be giving student-athletes a quick course in paying taxes.