Joe from WY

The photography thread

Jingle Truck -Ass End of Beyond, Pakistan. The driver was clinically insane. We had like $4 million in comms gear in the back and he damn near ran it off a cliff a dozen times.

image.jpeg.94486597ca92497d5d6ce232e7f850e9.jpeg

• Like 2

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

I’ve been on a wildlife kick lately.. Moved to a new house on the river and there’s so much I didn’t notice before. 

Shit ton of wildlife uses that corridor on the Greenbelt and beyond.  Mustelids, beavers, deer, even elk sometime.  The (very) rare mountain lion.  Heron, sand hill cranes, bald eagles in winter, hobos of various breeds :).

Del Mar Fair Photos

.image.jpeg.9257fc97365cd7c98f8e3538ee1371d4.jpegimage.jpeg.bec0dd97fa0fe5c36080d582534cb6c0.jpegimage.jpeg.1b8cb1441efe70fbbb78059d7f6f7385.jpegimage.jpeg.fc61850e043080b7f907bb4f7ddd59ee.jpegimage.jpeg.28202f32fceede426bc15fcbac389261.jpeg

image.jpeg.b94c34235a8e57abf5988e79ee61f8ef.jpeg

• Like 3

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Shit ton of wildlife uses that corridor on the Greenbelt and beyond.  Mustelids, beavers, deer, even elk sometime.  The (very) rare mountain lion.  Heron, sand hill cranes, bald eagles in winter, hobos of various breeds :).

I’d give a testicle to see an elk around the greenbelt. I’ve seen some in Stanley from a far distance but I’ve never seen one relatively close. I’d like to learn more about the birds, lots of big birds of prey but I don’t have a clue what they’re called. Saw some really small birds dive bombing a big hawk/eagle/falcon, it didn’t seem bothered at all but fun to watch. Also saw 8-10 big birds circling like vultures the other day, I’d like to know what all these things are.

The swans(well now one lonely swan) down by Barber Park/Riverside, I’d like to know if they’re wild or not. They’d have babies and hang out all summer and leave for the winter. But only one this year. Thought they were wild but someone said they thought they escaped from the Barbacoa owners house. But they seem to migrate? Do we have wild swans even?

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Mountain lions weren’t so rare on campus when I was there. 

I never knew Boise had sandhill cranes, they’re always in the neighborhood.  Here’s a family of four…

C80547B2-CDA7-4C61-93B7-41C0D10088BA.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

I’ve been on a wildlife kick lately.. Moved to a new house on the river and there’s so much I didn’t notice before. 

I lived at Morrison Park apartments the whole time I was in Boise.  After the bikini hatch was over I’d walk down with a glass of bourbon and watch fish sip caddis flies.  My favorite thing to do in October was to walk up from the mouth of Loggers creek and see the big browns spawning in low water.  

21 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I lived at Morrison Park apartments the whole time I was in Boise.  After the bikini hatch was over I’d walk down with a glass of bourbon and watch fish sip caddis flies.  My favorite thing to do in October was to walk up from the mouth of Loggers creek and see the big browns spawning in low water.  

I’ve never checked out the river down there, I’m getting a little bored of the trails I can walk to I’ll have to check it out.

Between my house and the river is this little stream labeled as a trout nursery. It I’ve never seen anything in it though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I’ve never checked out the river down there, I’m getting a little bored of the trails I can walk to I’ll have to check it out.

Between my house and the river is this little stream labeled as a trout nursery. It I’ve never seen anything in it though.

Yeah, there’s one in Julia Davis downstream from friendship bridge.  There’s an information marker there talking about a spawning ground, but I think the water is too warm for that.  

If you want to show your kids something cool about fish, definitely do the Loggers creek thing in October.  Rainbows run up it in the Spring, but it’s typically too blown out for good viewing.