Joe from WY

The photography thread

I know there's a couple other photographers on here ( @CPslograd comes to mind). I just got back into doing it regularly and got a decent camera (Canon Rebel t7i) and have honestly gone hog wild the last couple weeks taking over 1200 photos while walking around town. Who else is into this? Let's see your shots.

here's a few of my latest ones.

JMXqxnIFSeCRyaIdXN0Ueg_thumb_561.jpg

XNZTKNakSWi8gRolWoWChQ_thumb_4a1.jpg

qEuFCAEMSZ+lew8+qSbLmQ_thumb_433.jpg

AVMOrO8BQoGA3KK5pZDOgw_thumb_216.jpg

009S8m6mRZ6IS06%BMSWpA_thumb_4c1.jpg

2nPhPM5SSq2VEr+9+INxTg_thumb_4f7.jpg

WicMTyB0RgCprOPwDhZfNw_thumb_579.jpg

• Like 10

Thats great.

I used to think if I saw a pretty view, it would make a good picture.  But thats often not the case.  Its often about taking a picture of something interesting rather than something beautiful.

It definitely makes you see the world differently.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I know there's a couple other photographers on here ( @CPslograd comes to mind). I just got back into doing it regularly and got a decent camera (Canon Rebel t7i) and have honestly gone hog wild the last couple weeks taking over 1200 photos while walking around town. Who else is into this? Let's see your shots.

What city are you living in now?  Is that the channel islands in the background in the surfing pic?  Are you still in SB?

I like your pictures.

The fifth one with the lettering in the foreground and the flower in the background is a really neat picture.  It makes me wonder what I'm looking at.  What is the story on that one?

I've never done street photography of people, I'm curious what is peoples reaction to being photographed?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Great pics! I'm definitely an amateur but love trying different lighting, apature, shutter speed stuff. Here's a few from the last month

PXL_20210504_225745178.NIGHT~2.jpg

PXL_20210511_221333208.jpg

PXL_20210505_203637700~2.jpg

PXL_20210620_010657827.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20210620_212158601~2.jpg

PXL_20210620_184617884_MP.jpg

Those are impressive.  May I ask what gear you use?

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

What city are you living in now?  Is that the channel islands in the background in the surfing pic?  Are you still in SB?

I like your pictures.

The fifth one with the lettering in the foreground and the flower in the background is a really neat picture.  It makes me wonder what I'm looking at.  What is the story on that one?

I've never done street photography of people, I'm curious what is peoples reaction to being photographed?

Hey thanks. I'm living in SF now so that's where the majority of these are from. That surfing pic is taken at Pacifica State Beach and that's Point Reyes/Marin in the background. It was an insanely clear day out there. I saw all the way out to the Farallones at one point later in the day a little further north too.

the one with the lettering is at the AIDS Memorial in Golden Gate Park, and as far as taking pictures of randos goes, that was a happy accident...I was trying to take a pic of something else (I forget what) and in a succession of clicks that came out of it. I haven't just walked up to people photographing them yet, but I'm sure it's hit or miss in that regard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I like the bathroom window one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I like the bathroom window one.

That's probably my favorite one too, honestly. I'm actually putting together a project right now in assembling a coffee table book that is all just pictures of bathrooms in SF. From the ritzy to the skid row-ish ones and much more in between. I've probably got around 30-40 different bathrooms photographed already.

• Like 2

I took these this morning with my sony a 6400 and the good telephoto.  To be honest I'd struggle with a DSLR on action pictures, I learned on mirrorless and am pretty reliant on the sony autofocus.

Riding pictures are pretty difficult to compose.  I know that arena like the back of my hand, but I still have to line up so I have an attractive background, and avoid other kids in the background.  And then there is always the compromise of whether to get facial expressions or the movement of the horse (you really need the dust getting kicked up to tell how fast they are moving in a still). 

DSC03303.JPG

DSC03321.JPG

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

That's probably my favorite one too, honestly. I'm actually putting together a project right now in assembling a coffee table book that is all just pictures of bathrooms in SF. From the ritzy to the skid row-ish ones and much more in between. I've probably got around 30-40 different bathrooms photographed already.

so... just pictures of sidewalks? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I received an Instamatic for my 6th birthday and as a result for decades as an adult I always humped a gear bag with me when I was traveling on business. Here are a few of which I am proud.

All these are shot with a 35mm SLR. I always saw color not just as part of the composition, but part of the story itself.

1. Lava Flow, Big Island 2001 - shot while there on vacation with my wife (I've posted this one before):

Lava14-MWF.jpg

2. Sampan on Song Be River, Vietnam, 1995 - this was my first trip to Asia on official business:

Song-Be-Sampan1995.jpg

3. Elephant Bull Seals Fighting During Mating Season, San Simeon, 1995 - spent a couple weeks meandering up and down PCH by myself later that year. On this day, I spent about two hours slowly embedding myself in the middle of a mating colony, then patiently waited over another 1-2 hours for the temporal fog to get this shot:

Elephant-Sealsduel1995.jpg

4. Sun Rise over the Taj Mahal, 1997 - Went to Agra on my first weekend of down time, and was the first person to enter the complex on this morning. Shot with Agfa 50 ISO, pushed a full exposure, then pushed another exposure during the development. This was the first photo I shot as the sun rose.

Tajat-Sunrise-One1997.jpg

5. Rio Sucio and Rio Frio, Costa Rica, 2002 - the convergence of the sentiment-rich Rio Such coming down from the Poás Volcano and another river was spectacular. 

Dos-Rios2002.jpg

• Like 5

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I received an Instamatic for my 6th birthday and as a result for decades as an adult I always humped a gear bag with me when I was traveling on business. Here are a few of which I am proud.

All these are shot with a 35mm SLR. I always saw color not just as part of the composition, but part of the story itself.

1. Lava Flow, Big Island 2001 - shot while there on vacation with my wife (I've posted this one before):

Lava14-MWF.jpg

2. Sampan on Song Be River, Vietnam, 1995 - this was my first trip to Asia on official business:

Song-Be-Sampan1995.jpg

3. Elephant Bull Seals Fighting During Mating Season, San Simeon, 1995 - spent a couple weeks meandering up and down PCH by myself later that year. On this day, I spent about two hours slowly embedding myself in the middle of a mating colony, then patiently waited over another 1-2 hours for the temporal fog to get this shot:

Elephant-Sealsduel1995.jpg

4. Sun Rise over the Taj Mahal, 1997 - Went to Agra on my first weekend of down time, and was the first person to enter the complex on this morning. Shot with Agfa 50 ISO, pushed a full exposure, then pushed another exposure during the development. 

Tajat-Sunrise-One1997.jpg

5. Rio Sucio and Rio Frio, Costa Rica, 2002 - the convergence of the sentiment-rich Rio Such coming down from the Poás Volcano and another river was spectacular. 

Dos-Rios2002.jpg

It's the elephant seals for me.

• Cheers 1